Grampians 3 day loop

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Grampians 3 day loop

Postby drakkar » Wed 10 Feb, 2016 8:21 pm

Hi,

Looking to do a 3 nights in the Grampians mid april.Looking at the southern end with maybe a little off track stuff. Starting either Friday night with a hike in possibly in the dark, or camp close and start Saturday morning. Arriving back to the car Monday lunch time.

I'll be purchasing a map in the next few days hopefully. But hoping though someone has a good circuit for me, to remove some of the guesswork. Try dodge the 4wd tracks I keep reading about, but try keep it a loop... Asking too much?

Bonus internets if you have a GPX that your happy to share(in private if you feel the need) or it skirts past some fun V2ish boulders.
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Grampians 3 day loop

Postby Kinsayder » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 3:34 pm

I would have thought that the Major Mitchell Circuit would fit the bill, Drakkar. There are some details here http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/grampians-national-park/things-to-do/overnight-hiking/major-mitchell-plateau that might help a little.
Kinsayder
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drew » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 3:47 pm

Or the Fortress Circuit with plenty of time for some rock scrambling adventures or off-track stuff (the actual circuit is easily doable in 2 days, and does contain a lot of 4WD track walking unfortunately).

The last day of the Major Mitchell Circuit is a boring walk along 4WD track and the 2nd night's campsite is terrible. Better to just do the first 2 days and hitch/car shuffle back to the start, then have a day for a daywalk elsewhere.
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Drummo62 » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 3:54 pm

+1 for the the Fortress & Mt Thackery loop. http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks ... -thackeray If getting in late on Friday night camp at Buandik then start the hike on Saturday. I believe there is some off track stuff around the Fortress plus some rock climbing. Water could be an issue in the Grampians at present as it has been fairly dry out this way. Some of it on 4WD tracks but its still a decent hike.
Drummo62
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Victoria