The Crinoline - Mt Tamboritha Ciruit (McMillans Track)

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

The Crinoline - Mt Tamboritha Ciruit (McMillans Track)

Postby pete0762 » Fri 12 Dec, 2014 2:04 pm

Hi,

I am planning to do the Crinoline - Long Hill Mt Tamoritha and back to Breakfast Creek via McMillans Track in a week. Anyone up there this spring and able to report on track conditions, particularly on the McMillans Track. Also because planning to do it as 3 day trip I am not sure where to get any water from at or near Mt Tamboriatha. Any suggestions welcome.

Regards

Peter
pete0762
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: The Crinoline - Mt Tamboritha Ciruit (McMillans Track)

Postby pazzar » Fri 12 Dec, 2014 9:24 pm

Hi Peter,

I walked up the Crinoline at New Years. Track was in pretty good condition - a little vague towards the top, but the route is fairly obvious. I had intended to do the circuit, but had to turn around after running out of water on the first day. There is a creek just down off Long Hill, you will have an idea if it is running if the creeks at the start of the track are running. I would imagine that there is water in it right now. If you get stuck, there is a water barrel (make sure you treat it), on the eastern side of a large grassy camp before the final ridge up the Crinoline. I am told there is also one at the rock shelter on Long Hill, but since I didn't make it out there, I cannot verify that one. The water was pretty gross in them, but I didn't get sick from it either.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Pazzar
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Travis22 » Sat 13 Dec, 2014 7:56 am

Lots and lots of recent rain up there so water shouldnt br any trouble.

Travis.
Travis22
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby CaptainC » Mon 15 Dec, 2014 9:16 pm

I walked the Crinoline on 13/14 December 2014 and the creek was flowing well at Long Hill.
CaptainC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Snowzone » Tue 16 Dec, 2014 8:32 pm

pazzar wrote: If you get stuck, there is a water barrel (make sure you treat it), on the eastern side of a large grassy camp before the final ridge up the Crinoline. I am told there is also one at the rock shelter on Long Hill, but since I didn't make it out there, I cannot verify that one. The water was pretty gross in them, but I didn't get sick from it either.

I have seen the first barrel you speak of Pazzar but have never seen a barrel at the rock shelter. I have also ran out of water on this walk in the past. Carry extra to be on the safe side.
Snowzone

Postby scroggin » Thu 18 Dec, 2014 3:39 pm

I plan on doing this trip myself. What's the Long Hill to Mt Tamboritha section like. last I read on this very forum was that it is very overgrown.
scroggin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CaptainC » Fri 19 Dec, 2014 7:47 pm

The track is pretty easy to follow from Mt Tamboritha to the rock shelter and for about 1 km past the rock shelter. From there to the campsite it's frequently difficult to find the old route. If unsure keep the cliffs on your right hand side (heading towards the Crinoline). We did meet a guy doing some track marking with surveyor's tape.
CaptainC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby pete0762 » Mon 22 Dec, 2014 10:15 pm

I completed the walk as planned last weekend (19 to 21 December 2014) and conditions were perfect. As most replies indicated the track up to the Crinolines from Breakfast Creek is well defined and easy to find. From the Crinolines one needs to find a way through the cliffs towards Long Hill, but no problem either and good and mostly well defined or easy to follow ridge track to Long Hill camping area (west of the little creek). Creek still had ample of water but I guess will dry out later in summer. Then from camping area up to Long Hill is fairly straigt forward and best staying bit west and later north of the ridge close to the cliffs or steep drop off, where it is a bit easier to get through some overgrowth (bot not too onerous) and need to watch out not heading down a spur. About 1.5 to 2km west of Rock Shelter track becomes quite well defined and easy to follow again and is good from Rock Shelter onwards and then is a 4WD track all the way to Mt Tamboritha.

We camped half way up onto Mt Tamboritha, but for that had to get water from creek down on Benison Plains (some 2.5 km or so from where we camped, but that water is reliable as is a large creek). We contined across Mt Tamboritha down McMillans Track back to Breakfast Creek. First several kms higher up is fine and easy to follow along the ridge and there are a number of markers and few slightly overgrown areas. Lower down (say below 1000m) overgrowth thickens a bit and there are some sections one needs to watch out not heading onto a wrong spur and veerging off the spur into thick overgrowth (lack on markers in some sections). Last 3 kms or so are easy to follow on narrow steep ridge all the way to Breakfast Creek. I regularly checked my GPS to make sure we are on track and that made is largely OK to stay in right direction or right track. Some markers in overgrown areas would be appreciated (aside from the fact as a major track it should be cleared more regularly anyway).

Very nice and worthwhile walk with great scenary in all directions along the way.

cheers
Peter
pete0762
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Victoria