Water at Oberon Bay (Wilson's Prom.)

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Water at Oberon Bay (Wilson's Prom.)

Postby Maaxxx » Sun 21 Sep, 2014 4:50 pm

Hi! For some time now, the Parks Vic website has been warning prospective campers that there is "no water" available at Oberon Bay, (well, apart from the sea anyway,) and that walkers should carry their water in. I'm planning to camp there shortly whilst "doing" the circuit anti-clockwise with my club. It's a long time (mid 1980s), since I last camped there but I certainly didn't carry water in then. I'm wondering whether they're referring to some sort of tank water or something, as I find it hard to believe that, at the end of winter, there is nothing flowing down Growler or Fraser's Creeks?

Wondering whether anyone's been there lately and can confirm, one way or another, whether we will need to carry water? We're happy to use creek water and treat it, if necessary, as long as it's not brackish, which I imagine it shouldn't be, if taken a little upstream. Grateful for any information.

Cheers,
Max.
Maaxxx
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Water at Oberon Bay (Wilson's Prom.)

Postby Maaxxx » Sun 21 Sep, 2014 7:12 pm

Actually, I just found a rather ancient publication that says Growler Creek is salty but Frasers, although a bit brackish, is drinkable. Anyone able to confirm that it's running and not too unpalatable?
Maaxxx
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 21 Sep, 2014 7:24 pm

Last time I was there I saw that that P.V. had put in a run off collection tank next to the pit loo buildings at Oberon Bay. Whether there is any potable water inside that tank is another matter. There is water in the tank at Halfway hut which is just a little further on from Oberon Bay. I hike at the Prom about 4 times a year.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Maaxxx » Sun 21 Sep, 2014 8:16 pm

Thanks paidal_chalne_vala. I was sort of guessing they might have been referring to a tank of some kind, as it's a bit hard to believe the creek hasn't run for that long in winter. Unfortunately Halfway Hut's tank will be a bit out of the way that night, as we're coming from the other direction.
Cheers,
Max.
Maaxxx
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Wahzammo » Thu 06 Nov, 2014 1:13 pm

We drank from the rainwater tank there on Sunday, we boiled it just to be safe, but we were fine. Only a small collection area thou, decent tank but very popular spot so although there is some water there, but it may be empty at times. We filled up at the halfway hut just in case, but the after the heavy down pour on friday night there seemed to be plenty of water in the tank at Oberon Bay. I don't know if I would trust the creek water there thou, looked pretty crappy and plenty of rubbish and kids mucking about in and around it...
Wahzammo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Maaxxx » Mon 17 Nov, 2014 8:29 pm

Yep! We camped there a few weeks ago and carried water in, having been told by Parks there was none there. We arrived to find the tank beside the dunnies was full. We used the contents (of the tank,) after zapping it with the steripen and it was fine. Wouldn't want to rely on the creek though at present. It was quite drinkable last time I came through around 20 years ago but it looks pretty gross now. Filled with all manner of rubbish and crud. What a shame. Needs a damn good flush. (The creek, that is.)
Maaxxx
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Victoria