Budawangs: Braidwood Rd to Porters Ck Dam - Water?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Budawangs: Braidwood Rd to Porters Ck Dam - Water?

Postby Liger » Thu 31 Oct, 2019 1:04 pm

Does anyone know how likely I'm to find water walking/riding from Braidwood Rd south to Porters Creek Dam? Yeah, I know I'll blow myself up if I go off track (I won't go off track). I can carry enough for the full day easily enough and fill up at the dam, but would prefer to carry less.
Liger
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Budawangs: Braidwood Rd to Porters Ck Dam - Water?

Postby Grabeach » Sat 02 Nov, 2019 10:10 am

No first hand knowledge, but according to SIX you cross the upper reaches of Tianjara Ck (7.9km), an unnamed creek (10.2km) and Rixon Ck (12.3km) from the Braidwood Rd. Water would probably depend on season and when it last rained. The whole trip is only 25km and seems to more or less stay on top of the range, so if you're used to cycling and not carrying camping gear you could probably do it in a couple of hours and with an early start you shouldn't need much water.

At age early 30s, when I regularly used to ride that distance from Caringbah to Milperra for work, I'd considered parking at the dam, riding half way and returning. Half a lifetime ago, but with a much lighter bike I'm still thinking about it!
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT