Bungonia Red track?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bungonia Red track?

Postby Dozza89 » Mon 23 Sep, 2019 5:38 pm

Hi all,

My father and I are heading to Bungonia maybe next weekend. I was interested in doing the red trail through the canyon because it looks incredible. I have heard (and saw the sign) that it is very difficult and has minimal signage.

We are reasonably fit but have not done a huge amount of hiking.

Is the red track incredibly difficult as they say and easy to get lost? Are we better off sticking to the easier trails?

Cheers.
Dozza89
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Bungonia Red track?

Postby Zapruda » Mon 23 Sep, 2019 8:23 pm

Down and up from the gorge can be a slog if you aren’t used to steep descents and ascents but the beauty of walking through a gorge is you can only really go one of two ways. It’s hard to get lost. There is some fun boulder scrambling early on that might be a bit different if you haven’t done it before.

There is intermittent signage down to the floor of the gorge. Once on the floor there is nothing.

It really is a stunning walk and one of my favourite day walks in the area. Do it on a mild day. I also suggest you take the red track down and the white track at the Shoalhaven out. It makes for a much better walk.

I don’t think it is as difficult as people say but it’s all relative. I am a confident and experienced bushwalker. It’s definitely not a beginners walk. I can supply a GPX file if you want.

Let’s us know if you have any specific questions.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby LachlanB » Tue 24 Sep, 2019 8:50 am

The Red Track is fantastic, and as Zapruda says, when combined with the rock-hop down to the White Track, you have a stunning loop. Between the caves and the bushwalking, Bungonia is one of my favourite areas in this part of the world.

The Red Track is not hard to navigate, but the markers for both ends of the Red Track can be easy to miss if you're not keeping an eye out for them. The Bretons Creek end is definitely harder to spot than the downstream end, I think, so I'd walk clockwise. The plus is, if you miss the track back up this way, you'll know, because you'll reach the Shoalhaven :) and then you can just take the White Track back up to the same carpark anyway
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ribuck » Fri 27 Sep, 2019 10:21 am

Just remember there are a couple of spots in the boulder blockup where you can't proceed at creek level and need to briefly climb out on the sides.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Flipper Hands » Mon 30 Sep, 2019 12:10 pm

Zapruda wrote:Down and up from the gorge can be a slog if you aren’t used to steep descents and ascents but the beauty of walking through a gorge is you can only really go one of two ways. It’s hard to get lost. There is some fun boulder scrambling early on that might be a bit different if you haven’t done it before.

There is intermittent signage down to the floor of the gorge. Once on the floor there is nothing.

It really is a stunning walk and one of my favourite day walks in the area. Do it on a mild day. I also suggest you take the red track down and the white track at the Shoalhaven out. It makes for a much better walk.

I don’t think it is as difficult as people say but it’s all relative. I am a confident and experienced bushwalker. It’s definitely not a beginners walk. I can supply a GPX file if you want.

Let’s us know if you have any specific questions.

Mate, I would love a GPX track if not too much trouble! For the loop :)
Flipper Hands
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Zapruda » Mon 30 Sep, 2019 12:44 pm

Flipper Hands wrote:Mate, I would love a GPX track if not too much trouble! For the loop :)

Here you go. Best to go clockwise.
Attachments
Bungonia-Gorge-red-white-loop.gpx
(98.77 KiB) Downloaded 378 times
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Flipper Hands » Tue 08 Oct, 2019 9:28 pm

Champion. Was awesome, we spent the entire day down there last Friday.
Flipper Hands
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to New South Wales & ACT