Carlons Farm to Mobbs Swamp, camp at Konangaroo clearing

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Carlons Farm to Mobbs Swamp, camp at Konangaroo clearing

Postby NickB » Sun 17 Mar, 2019 1:36 pm

Hi all

I have done the K to K before however from Kanangra to Katoomba direction.

I am considering a overnighter - Carlons Farm to Mobbs Swanp then down to Cox's to camp Konangaroo Clearing.

Could I get some approx distance, elevation / timeframe on this hike from any experienced members please, please, please.

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions, Nick
NickB
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Carlons Farm to Mobbs Swamp, camp at Konangaroo clearing

Postby johnrs » Sun 17 Mar, 2019 3:26 pm

Heh Nick
Look up six maps, use the contours and distsance tool
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Sun 17 Mar, 2019 7:18 pm

Quite a few different routes you could take... Assuming you'll do carlons Ck + blackhorse Ridge. Certainly doable to kanongaroo in a day.

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jonnosan » Sun 17 Mar, 2019 8:02 pm

If you want to make a loop of it, I suggest this:
carlon creek -> breakfast creek -> cox's creek junction - takes me 3 hrs with a full pack. pretty much all down hill - after a steep start it's pretty gentle.
then follow the track downstream till kanangaroo - maybe 3-5 hrs. need to cross over several times which will mean wet feet. There are some people the NPWS pay to shoot feral pigs who ride their horses up and down that track so it may be pretty distinct but keep an eye out for anything that looks like a spot where horses may cross because if you overshoot a crossing you can end up bluffed out and either back tracking a fair way or having to cross over in waist deep or higher water.

Then come back via yellow pup/mobbs/firetrail.

There is pretty much always flowing water where breakfast creek crosses the firetrail (2km from medlow gap), but unless there's been heavy rain recently you'd be lucky to get anything at mobbs, or more than a few stagnant pools in the lower reaches of breakfast creek.

You could of course do this in reverse, and also there is a track down ironmonger spur to the breakfast creek/cox's river junction
jonnosan

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Mon 18 Mar, 2019 7:53 am

jonnosan wrote:Y, and also there is a track down ironmonger spur to the breakfast creek/cox's river junction

That'd be better, and I'd personally prefer to avoid the fire trail from Medlow (yuck). A nice loop would be from Carlons -> Ironpot -> Ironmonger to the Breakfast Ck/Coxs River junction then downstream to Konongaroo... then come back via Yellow Pup -> Mobbs (sidetrip to Splendour Rock if you have time) -> then Blackhorse Ridge down to Carlons/Breakfast Ck junction.... then up green gully back to Carlons?
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jonnosan » Mon 18 Mar, 2019 4:49 pm

Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:
jonnosan wrote:Y, and also there is a track down ironmonger spur to the breakfast creek/cox's river junction

That'd be better, and I'd personally prefer to avoid the fire trail from Medlow (yuck). A nice loop would be from Carlons -> Ironpot -> Ironmonger to the Breakfast Ck/Coxs River junction then downstream to Konongaroo... then come back via Yellow Pup -> Mobbs (sidetrip to Splendour Rock if you have time) -> then Blackhorse Ridge down to Carlons/Breakfast Ck junction.... then up green gully back to Carlons?

yep that route will probably be the best scenery, although does mean two steep descents (Ironmonger and Blackhorse) - personally I find my knees start complaining a bit now when doing those sort of descents with a full pack which is why I generally go for steeper ascents and flatter descents.
jonnosan

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Mon 18 Mar, 2019 9:11 pm

jonnosan wrote:
Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:

yep that route will probably be the best scenery, although does mean two steep descents (Ironmonger and Blackhorse) - personally I find my knees start complaining a bit now when doing those sort of descents with a full pack which is why I generally go for steeper ascents and flatter descents.
Just reverse the direction :)... Only steep downhill then would be yellow pup which is a bit milder anyway (switchbacks in parts from memory?)

Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby NickB » Sat 23 Mar, 2019 3:05 pm

Wow thanks so much for the tips all. Much appreciated!!! The scenic way definitely preferred.

We have 2 nights now so also a few considerations - Kanangra to Carlons

VS Wog wog - Corang Peak - Burrumbeet Brook - Corang River - Goodsell Creeek - return

Any of you done that Budawang hike? Sounds like a good trip over 3 days.

Nick
NickB
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby michael_p » Sat 23 Mar, 2019 3:28 pm

I've done the loop from Wog Wog as an overnight trip. Only difference to your route is we camped at Canowie Brook not Burrumbeet. It can be easily done as an overnighter. We did camp at Wog Wog the first night so we had an easy start to the walk.

You can stretch it two nights if you camp at Corang Cascades. Note that the area around the Cascades is private property and the owners have put up signs saying that people are not allowed to use the area anymore. There is a thread on here somewhere about this problem. EDIT: Found it- viewtopic.php?f=36&t=28209

Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby NickB » Sat 23 Mar, 2019 7:48 pm

Did you rate the scenery / campsites Michael? We have a few less experienced guys in the group so not aiming for big kms days. Thinking better to do it over 3 days. Any pics of Canowie Brook ?
NickB
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Wog Wog, Corang Peak, Burrumbeet, Corang Cascades, Wog W

Postby michael_p » Sun 24 Mar, 2019 1:58 pm

It's the Budawangs, of course the scenery is excellent. :D The side trip up onto Corang Peak gives great views and Corang Arch is amazing up close. I wouldn't call the walk overly strenuous but YMMV and navigation is not hard as the tracks are well worn.

Wog Wog has a drop toilet, fire pits and that is it. Bring your own water or get it from the creek just down the walking track. Good as a Friday night pre-walk camp. One trip we camped at Wog Wog for four days and it worked well as a base camp. Just be prepared.

The campsites at Canowie are not official sites, they were just some clearings on the right before you cross the creek. Apparently there is a drop toilet at Burrumbeet but I can't confirm this personally. There are several spots to camp at Corang Cascades, just Google "Corang Cascades" and you'll find lots of photos.

Some useful photos here: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=19542
And here: https://ozultimate.com/tom/bushwalking/ ... hotos1.htm

Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby NickB » Thu 25 Apr, 2019 1:27 pm

Thanks all. The support is greatly appreciated
NickB
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tom_brennan » Fri 26 Apr, 2019 9:52 am

There is a toilet at Burrumbeet Brook, marked on the map that accompanies this walk:
https://bushwalkingnsw.com/walk.php?nid=817
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Fri 26 Apr, 2019 2:23 pm

The toilet is visible from the main track, about 100m off the track. The caves at burumbeet are much better camping than canowi and imo. If you have 3 days you could walk into burumbeet on day one, check out yurnga lookout at the head of burumbeet Valley (well worth it) in the morning day 2 then over the to the cascades area for the afternoon, camping at the lagoon (private property but meh) or broula brook, or at the small campsite on canowie about 15 minutes back from the main cascades (at a creek Junction with good swimming hole... Probably nicer than the other options). Then walk out via goodsell on day 3. Three pretty easy and nice days.

Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Fri 26 Apr, 2019 2:24 pm

Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:The toilet is visible from the main track, about 100m off the track. The caves at burumbeet are much better camping than canowi and imo. If you have 3 days you could walk into burumbeet on day one, check out yurnga lookout at the head of burumbeet Valley (well worth it) in the morning day 2 then over the to the cascades area for the afternoon, camping at the lagoon (private property but meh) or broula brook, or at the small campsite on canowie about 15 minutes back from the main cascades (at a creek Junction with good swimming hole... Probably nicer than the other options). Then walk out via goodsell on day 3. Three pretty easy and nice days.

Sorry meant to say walk in to burumbeet via corang peak/arch on day one

Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 29 Apr, 2019 12:56 pm

The route from the cascades (parallel to goodsells) back to the junction can be a little tricky nav wise. It's easy to miss the foot pad and struggle through scrub some metres to the side of the pad instead.

Though maybe more distinct now with increased foot traffic in the area.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT