Thredbo to Kiandra: Happy's Hut Northern Shortcut

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Thredbo to Kiandra: Happy's Hut Northern Shortcut

Postby Lord Backcountry » Sat 16 Feb, 2019 2:50 pm

Gaday -

I'm going to take a week for a slow hike from Thredbo to Kiandra in November 2019.

While plans and organisation are well underway, I'm stumped over the exit route from Happy's Hut.

Option 1: the 1.3 km hike straight north (up a creek and through a light forest). Very tempting. Best option on paper.

Option 2: +5km doubling back heading east, then north, then west.

The most recent blog advice that I can find suggests that option 1 is now too overgrown and that the double-back route is prefered.

I'd be grateful for any advice from people who actually take option 1 in the lead-up to my walk to help inform what route I should take.

I'll be solo, so option 2 is probably best, but I'm hoping for some option 1-comfort and the saving of a 4km double-back.

cheers
Lord Backcountry
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Re: Thredbo to Kiandra: Happy's Hut Northern Shortcut

Postby kanangra » Sat 16 Feb, 2019 3:24 pm

Option 1 is fine. A little overgrown in patches but quite doable. Even better take the spur just to the right of the creek as you approach from the hut ie. heading north. The going is cleaner.

K
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GBW » Sat 16 Feb, 2019 5:20 pm

I came down 2016 and had a good run for 500m then some scrub/fallen trees to the bottom but nothing too serious. We ended up following the creek for the last 300m or so. Looking at the satellite we zigged instead of zagged at the 500m point. Going up will obviously be harder so if you don't like scrub go the other way. Either way you'll reach the top smiling or cursing.

I'd also recommend including Brooks Hut on the way to Happys if you're not in a rush.

Happys Route.JPG
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Zapruda » Sat 16 Feb, 2019 6:50 pm

I’ll echo what both Kanangra and GBW have said. Option 1 is fine and far quicker. I walk it regularly and always find a decent way up. The scrub is moderate and not an issue.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Mark F » Sat 16 Feb, 2019 8:54 pm

You could always try Brooks Hut and Arsenic Ridge through to the southern end of Tabletop Mountain (all off track). Not much more difficulty than the exits from Happys Hut. My own experience in dropping into Happys from near the junction of the Tabletop Mtn trail and the Boltons Hill trail is that you don't want to go too far south past the junction perhaps 100-150 metres before heading down the ridge - you, of course will be heading in the up rather than down. I suspect that Zapruda's route heading north is as good as any. I have been aiming to try a route continuing north west to Boltons Hill Trail - keeping to the western side of the creek
If wanting to go to Happys then I would certainly endorse going via Brooks to Happys Hut as a nice bit of off track rather than bash up the road.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby rcaffin » Sun 17 Feb, 2019 11:12 am

I have done the road, and I have done the spur (very similar to GW's route), both last year.
I doubt I will ever do the road again.

Yes, there are some comments in the Happys Hut log book about the 'terrible scrub' on the spur, and the well-over-1hr time taken. Not to be too harsh, but ... novices. We came down the spur in about 40 minutes, and found it delightfully open (in a manner of speaking) and easy all the way. The flat valley at the bottom is quite delightful.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lord Backcountry » Mon 18 Feb, 2019 4:35 pm

Dear all -

Many thanks for your informed responses. Option 1 it is!

I had not even thought about detouring via Brooks Hut, I'm not sure why; likey 'get-there-itis'.

But it is now a part of my planned walk.

Again, many thanks for the great suggestions.

cheers

LBC
Lord Backcountry
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Return to New South Wales & ACT