seeking info to plan a multiday walk Mutawintji NP

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

seeking info to plan a multiday walk Mutawintji NP

Postby Monique23 » Tue 29 Jan, 2019 2:06 pm

Seeking reliable maps (1:25 000 if possible) of the Mutawinji NP area and any information related to walking in this area such as drinking water availability or prior track notes/experiences.
Thanks
Monique23
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: seeking info to plan a multiday walk Mutawintji NP

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 29 Jan, 2019 4:15 pm

Sixmaps has Gov issued topos. Mutawintji NP topos seem to only be 1:100,000 scale though.

https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/etopo.html

You might also have luck with openstreetmap and then download the NSW section on to your mobile phone for use with a offline app. Havent checked if openstreetmap has coverage of this NP.

I have no info on the viability of a multi-day walk in this outback NP though.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Monique23 » Tue 29 Jan, 2019 4:53 pm

Thanks very much. Its a start :)
Monique23
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mark F » Tue 29 Jan, 2019 4:57 pm

It's a long time since I visited (1972) but an interesting area. I understand they are not keen on multiday walks due to there being quite a few aboriginal sites, most probably many of them around water holes. It is very dry and rocky area with water and vegetation mainly in the creek lines. I am sure you have seen the npws map https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/-/media/visitor/files/pdf/maps/mutawintji-pdf-map.pdf but there never has been any detailed mapping below 1:100,000 as far as I am aware. LPI only ever produced 1:25k maps for the eastern part of the state, then a band of 1:50k mapping and the far west 1:100k
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Warin » Tue 29 Jan, 2019 5:00 pm

Mutawintji NP is in OSM, a fair amount of detail too. There is a little more that could go in - waterholes and intermittent creeks from the LPI Base Map.

Might be a good idea to contact a park ranger and ask if there are any good longer walks. Think most of them are for the 4WDers who want a shorter walk. I note Marks comment above re Aboriginal sites.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Monique23 » Tue 29 Jan, 2019 5:18 pm

Thanks for your advice Mark and Warin. Please 'scuse my ignorance but what do you mean by OSM?
I will definitely try and get through to the ranger again, have some time yet before I hope to get out there.
Monique23
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Warin » Tue 29 Jan, 2019 6:18 pm

Monique23 wrote: Please 'scuse my ignorance but what do you mean by OSM?

Open Street Map. If you have a Gramin GPS it is a source of free maps.
It is viewable on the web - see https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/-31.2403/142.2856, you can pan and zoom around, and it is searchable. This is one of may sites that use the OSM data. OSM itself is 'just' a data base of mapping data, what various people do with it is up to them.

Note that it covers the world .. so the map choices for world coverage have to be suitable for dense cities of London etc, makes our less dense things look bare.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ribuck » Tue 29 Jan, 2019 6:51 pm

On the online OSM website, open up the sidebar and go to the Cycling layer if you want to see the contours.

Also, you don't need a Garmin device to get the free offline maps on your phone. There are plenty of apps for iPhone and Android (e.g. OruxMaps) that use the OSM data to render their maps.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Monique23 » Tue 29 Jan, 2019 8:06 pm

Many thanks!
Monique23
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Neo » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 10:08 pm

Pretty sure you need permission to go there. Or at least supposed to register.
In Broken Hill at the office can book a tour..m
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Monique23 » Thu 31 Jan, 2019 9:19 am

Yes, Hopeful to get the necessary permission granted. Not planning to head out until its a lot cooler - so a way off yet. Been dreaming of it for some years now, ever since first car visit there. I appreciate that it is off the beaten track and also that it is a very special place. It is a logisitcal puzzle but ought to finally give it a go.
Monique23
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby johnf » Sun 03 Feb, 2019 12:07 pm

There are three separate areas at Mutawintji with different rules.

1st there is the "Historic Site" area. This has the main Aboriginal sites with detailed rock engravings and quite extensive art (mostly stencils). Entry is restricted and you need to be with an approved Aboriginal guide. It is a day walk. I paid $50 to tag along with a large 4WD group from Hervey Bay. It was a very interesting tour with the Aboriginal guide offering interesting insights into the natural and cultural aspect of the area. I prefer to do my own thing usually but it was well worth doing the tour since I was out there and not possible to enter the area otherwise. The tours are only done when there is enough demand so you need to contact in advance to line up the dates. I suggest contacting NPWS as well as the mob that run the tours. I didn't find the website very businesslike and never received a reply. The NP officer seems to get a copy of the booking request and arranged everything for me.

2nd area is the main part of the park close to the "Historic Area" This comprises the walks on the NP brochure https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/-/ ... df-map.pdf
I don't know where this area is defined but it is for day walking only.

3rd area is the remainder of the park including all the north east section. Multi day walks are presently allowed. You need to be fine with drinking muddy water, filtering it or treating with alum. Most of the available water will be at the "wells" which were put in for livestock back in the day rather than some idyllic waterhole. Still I think in the right season there are some waterholes amongst the dry creek beds. Camping next to the water might be restricted or at least unwise due to the animals.

You would need to plan to go in a season with sufficient winter rain.
johnf
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Monique23 » Sun 03 Feb, 2019 5:43 pm

Thanks for your information John. Very much appreciated :) Would be ideal to find waterholes but I can use a water filter - wont be great for mud but have to drink something. I'm sure it will be worth it either way. Thanks again.
Monique23
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moocattle » Fri 08 Feb, 2019 1:25 pm

Here's a photo I took of the walking in the wilderness sign when I was there a few years ago (Includes a contact number) if it helps.

I went one August, it was great walking weather. In regards to multi-day walks; There was a group who had headed out from the southern point (The gorge) for a through walk but I'm not sure on the details. There was evidence of campsites throughout the gorges along the Bynguano Range track as well.

I myself wandered (a bit aimlessly) about the Northern wilderness from the end of the Coach drive when I was there looking for dragons. It was easily the most alluring part of my time there. Really had a way of drawing you further in. Easy going, with many rocks to climb up (a few had phone reception too!). Endlessly pulling beastly bindie type plants (that are essentially caltrops) out of my boots was about the only hardship.
A few pics

The old NSW maps (on sixmaps) show a few tanks about the place, visible in sat images as well. Most pools of water I found in the gorges had dead animals (goats, wallabies) in them, and there was an incredible amount of goat droppings pretty much everywhere. But there was water nonetheless along with a few deep pools in the gorges. And that was after a pretty long dry period.
Moocattle
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Return to New South Wales & ACT