Update - Munyang bridge

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Update - Munyang bridge

Postby Zapruda » Wed 02 Jan, 2019 10:02 am

Just an update for anyone planning a trip in the area. After being closed off for a year or two the bridge over the Munyang river has now been removed. This must have been fairly recent because it was still there in August...

Rock hopping wasn't an issue and this was after the heavy rains in late December. Here are some pics.
Attachments
IMG-8033 - Copy.JPG
IMG-8034.JPG
IMG-8257.JPG
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Update - Munyang bridge

Postby Mark F » Wed 02 Jan, 2019 1:03 pm

Hopefully the first step in replacing it. There is some infrastructure on the other side that no doubt needs servicing otherwise they would have removed the bridge and ceased maintaining the track several years ago. While the rock hopping seems ok for daytime I have tended to arrive at Munyang in the evening and walk up the track at night. Rock hopping across a river at night is not a skill I plan to acquire.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Wed 02 Jan, 2019 1:09 pm

I agree, Mark. Nor do I want to attempt a rock hop when there is snow present. When I last spoke to NPWS about it in May they indicated there was no money in the budget for any repairs to it. I hope they were wrong. It would be good to see a bridge there again.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Wed 02 Jan, 2019 3:16 pm

The only vehicles I have seen use the bridge and the lower part of the aquaduct track are Snowy Hydro and I believe it is one of its assets rather than npws so I would expect Snowy Hydro removed it. Hopefully they will find a few dollars out of their Snowy II budget to install a replacement.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to New South Wales & ACT