A few less known tracks with great view in Upper South Coast

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

A few less known tracks with great view in Upper South Coast

Postby DJ Wombat » Fri 23 Nov, 2018 11:03 am

My first post here.
I enjoy solo walk. Have moved down to South Coast for a few years I’ve always been exploring untamed terrains in my meagre spare time. Here are a few not so popular walks I immensely enjoy, which could all be done within a day or half.

1. Tip of Wombat Hill Plateau, Meryla. Wombat Hill Firetrail is well maintained track which is mostly flat, but there is a NP gate at the start of Meryla Pass trail, so riding mountain bike can save you some time for the later scrambling. Once reaching Wombat Hill Lookout, there are basically no visible trails ahead. However pushing forward is not very difficult as there are plenty of exposed rock platforms all along the cliff edge to the tip of the plateau (marked as a pink heart). Zooming close enough on Google map there is a Morton Trig Walking Track ends up at a trig. There is another km or two from the trig to where the pink heart is. The view all along the cliff edge is breathtaking.

2. Yalwal Creek Track to McKenzie Saddle Track. This is a part of Ettrema Wilderness. I parked my car at Toorooroo Campgroud. Unwilling to come back same route I walked a loop to Old Burrier Firetrail & Yalwal Rd. McKenzie Lookout has a great view over Yalwal State Forest. The Yalwal Creek Track is a bit derelict but still distinguishable. However McKenzie Saddle track is very easy to get lost. I did bush bashing for at least half of its length.

3. South-West tip of Budderoo Plateau. Every walker knows the majestic Gerringong Fall is here. However the very end of plateau looking toward Kangaroo Valley is no less breathtaking. The Budderoo Plateau Rd runs through the majority length of the plateau. However there is a dead end at end of the road. On Google map, the walking track links immediately to the Plateau Rd, however that’s not the case. I traced back hundred meter or so, and turned left to a little clearance with two large concrete slabs. Then there should be no drama all the way to the end of trail (apparently it has been used by farmers now and then). The view at the end is obscured by dense vegetation. Now you need to bushbash to the right to a rock platform 100m away. Although the bush is dense, phone reception is good here so turn on your Google Map. The return trip from the locked NP gate is full 30KM, so a mountain bike will be very useful.

4. East most tip of Barren Grounds (Noorinan Mt) access via Hoddles Track. The track starts from Saddleback Mt just off Kiama. It’s a well used track. Once reaching the foot of Noorinan Mt, you’ll need to look for an iron anvil shaped rock overhang along the cliff, then ascent from there. Apparently the NP authority discourage people climb up there, so they put a big sign saying “no access to Barren Grounds NP from Hoddles Track”. However the view up there is to die for – an unobstructed coastal panorama from Kiama to Jervis Bay.

5. Folly Point. Budawangs is a magical place. It seduces me back and back. After top most of the popular ones, Castle, Pigeon House, Talaterang, Byangee etc, I spent a full day to tackle Folly Point – 37km half bike half walk. There are no much to see all along the track, and some sections are tough going. But once reaching Folly Point looking towards all famous landmarks in the Budawangs, I thought I was in heaven. I’d recommend camping there over night and scramble around in the morning. I was too rush to get the best view points. My photos don’t justify its beauty. Hereby I’m borrowing a few from an America photographer Stuart MaCkenzie.
DJ Wombat
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: A few less known tracks with great view in Upper South C

Postby Wollemi » Sun 02 Dec, 2018 3:44 pm

Thank you for your terrific post here, DJ Wombat - much appreciated. I have walked, MTB'd and kayaked the area - but not for some years.
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT