Main Range ‘ten peaks’ walk this weekend - conditions?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Main Range ‘ten peaks’ walk this weekend - conditions?

Postby GeorgiaJ » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 9:09 pm

Hi all,
My friend and I are planning to do the ‘ten peaks’ hike around the Main Range track in Kosciuszko this weekend but we’ve been told there’s a bit of snow about. Has anyone been there recently? Will it be possible to camp (probably one night at Strzelecki and then the second night at Mueller’s Pass)?

We have suitably warm gear, PLB, nav gear etc, we’re mostly concerned about access and being able to cross the Snowy River (we were told the stepping stones are underwater)

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks
Georgia
GeorgiaJ
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Main Range ‘ten peaks’ walk this weekend - conditions?

Postby crollsurf » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 7:50 am

Zapruda is the one who'll know.
There will be plenty of snow drifts around, particularly around Kosi, which can be a pain. Mainly because they are slow going if you want to play it safe (you should), but putting spikes on and off takes time as well. Around Twynam and that area drifts wont be a problem. Camping at Strzelecki is popular but still nice. Mullers Pass you need to be on the south side, Wilkinsons Creek is normally the spot but out towards Townsend is a good option for views.
Crossing the river at Charlotte's can be tricky and if it is raining!! Otherwise the bridge at Illawong near Guthega is never a problem.
Weather forecast looks perfect
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby GeorgiaJ » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 8:33 pm

Thanks for the tips crollsurf - had an excellent 2.5 days wandering around the main range doing Twynam, Northcote, Townsend, Alice Rawson, Abbott’s, Kosi and north and main rams heads. Camped at Strzelecki the first night (beautiful and had it to ourselves) and Wilkinson’s the second (around 4 other groups around). There were some snow drifts, mainly on muellers pass, which required a bit of care. One hiker without poles went sliding down a drift and when I passed him one of my poles so he could return to safety he sadly took another slip and broke the pole in two trying to stop himself. Ah well, least he was ok in the end.
Had to take our shoes off for the first two snowy crossings from CP, but someone else in leather boots splashed straight across.
Perfect weather, perfect weekend!
GeorgiaJ
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Zapruda » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 11:27 am

Oops, I missed this one. I was up there myself for a few days... Of course.

Good job Georgia and thanks for reporting back. That Strzelecki camp is one of my favourites.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT