Yuraygir coastal walk

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Yuraygir coastal walk

Postby Kainas » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 11:48 am

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can tell me a bit about the track condition on theYuraygir coastal walk.

I am desperate to get away for a holiday with my kids, but the youngest is a bit young for walking (3.5yo), my eldest can handle 5-9km stints easy enough. I had a crazy idea about taking my youngest in our chariot pram (which is designed with bushwalking attachements, it has huge wheels etc).

I can see all sorts of problems that I would need to overcome, but I want to explore the option of turning the Yuraygir Coastal Walk(usually 3-4 days) into a 10 day walk, taking it slow and ready to pull out at any time I can see the kids have reached their limit. The track has plenty of exit points, near bus routes and taxis. It has a caravan park every 3 days (for showers, laundry, and food drops). Lots could stuff it all up of course, but with plenty of exit points it wouldn't be too hard to pull out and find a cosy motel.

I think it would be a deal breaker if the track was too slim for pram access though.

PS. I am not in a rush to head off, just thinking about a trip in the future.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Yuraygir coastal walk

Postby north-north-west » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 3:42 pm

I think tom_brennan knows this walk quite well. Maybe PM him?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Kainas » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 9:43 pm

Thanks, I spent the afternoon researching, and looking at all the post on this forum that I could.

I think it is too much of a pipe dream. I will hold off fora few more years. I need a better alternative.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby RileyWayfarer » Tue 14 Jul, 2015 10:56 am

I know the Yuraygir NP pretty well (I grew up in the area). A few points I can add:

1. Rule out anything south of the Wooli River with kids. It's very isloated and HARD going. It's got a lot of scrambling over rocks.

2. I think if you have the time the rest is very doable if you mix up using the NP camp grounds and the caravan parks in the towns. By doing this no day would be more then 10km.

3. Where you walk along tracks they are generally wide and smooth even ground. Any points where you couldn't push a pram are very short, a few staircases etc The middle has a few beach sections so you would need a 4x4 pram for the sand :D

The coast walk is great how it has so many options. I'v never agreed with it being publicized as a 4 day walk. It really needs to be done slow, taking time to swim or explore the rock pools as you go.
RileyWayfarer
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wayfarer Expeditions

Postby Kainas » Tue 14 Jul, 2015 12:20 pm

Thanks for that. I am still thinking about doing it in the September holidays. Using the caravan parks as you suggested, as both accomodation and some supply drops.

If I did as you suggested, and ruled out the walk below Wooli - would you suggest starting at Wooli and walking north, or the other way around?

I was looking for ways to do the trip solo, with my two kids, my youngest was not a good walker at that stage, she has gotten better though, so the pram is no longer part of my ideas. I am considering attempting it with my husband and the kids this September.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby RileyWayfarer » Thu 16 Jul, 2015 7:46 am

Thanks for that. I am still thinking about doing it in the September holidays. Using the caravan parks as you suggested, as both accomodation and some supply drops.

If I did as you suggested, and ruled out the walk below Wooli - would you suggest starting at Wooli and walking north, or the other way around?

I was looking for ways to do the trip solo, with my two kids, my youngest was not a good walker at that stage, she has gotten better though, so the pram is no longer part of my ideas. I am considering attempting it with my husband and the kids this September.

In regards to the direction to take...I don't know. I don't think it'd make a huge difference either way. Just go with whatever works best with being dropped off and picked up.
I tend to go from south to north, but that is as much about finishing close to home (I'm in Yamba) as anything.

I'll give you a quick break down of the distances between camps and exit points and an idea of what you'll find at each. This is north to south for no particular reason:

Angourie (Mara Creek picnic area) - Lake Arragan Camping Area approx. 10km - lake arragan has a tap on the road leading into the camp ground
    Lake Arragan Camping Area - Brooms Head Caravan Park approx. 5km - Brooms Head store is pretty well stocked and the kiosk at the caravan park is the best coffee and take away food in the area
    Brooms Head Caravan Park - Sandon Camping Area approx. 8km - There is tanks of water at Sandon but they don't recommend drinking it
    Sandon River crossing - you should be able the hitch a ride across, always plenty of boats about. I do know the number for organising a lift across has changed. Unfortunately I don't have it.
    Sandon Village - Illaroo Camping Area approx 10km - Illaroo is a nice camp, approx 1km from Minnie Waters, they shop there is pretty basic but can generally get what you need.
    Illaroo Camping Area - Boorkoom Camping Area approx 7.5km - Nice campsite over looking a cool bay but no supplies here. Either stock up in Minnie or do a food drop.
    Boorkoom Camping Area - Wooli approx. 6.5km - wether this is the start or end Wooli store is almost a mini supermarket, does good takeaway and the pub next door does good feeds too.
RileyWayfarer
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby RileyWayfarer » Thu 16 Jul, 2015 7:51 am

Oh and a note on the Sandon Village to Illaroo section. I think the maps show it as a beach walking section. Be careful it is a very long beach. If you are walking into a wind it is no fun at all. It tends to be pretty soft too. There is a back track for cars that goes through the bush. It can be a little hard to find. If you follow a road out of the village and come to a locked gate that's it.

It all comes down to conditions on the day as for which is best.
RileyWayfarer
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Kainas » Thu 16 Jul, 2015 10:38 pm

Thanks for that info, especially regarding food and water (and Sandon to Illaroo).

I am slowly gathering a little party (so far 2 adults, 4 kids, and a wife who is willing to just drive and car camp because she has a 6month old). If she does, then it would save a whole heap of hassle as we would only need day packs.

Our itinerary so far (still smarting about missing out on the December Kosi trip, but here we are planning the B option for much earlier).

http://www.wcthompson.net/journal/?p=738
Last edited by Kainas on Sun 19 Jul, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Kainas » Thu 16 Jul, 2015 10:39 pm

I have a question about the Station Creek Camping Area, compared to the one at Pebbly Beach. The Station Creek, appears to be more inland, and to have its own little walking track.

Do you know the distant between the two, is the track worth a walk?
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Fri 17 Jul, 2015 7:59 am

Pebbly beach is about a 20min walk over low sandunes, along a short stretch of beach
& across a creek at low tide from Station creek.

The track is circular, picked up from the edge of Station ck camp area,
it winds its way through coastal forest with elevated views over the Station creek. Worth a look.

Station Creek camp....Elevated, trees, shaded, toilets, picnic tables & fireplaces, bring your own firewood & water, mosquitoes.
Pebbly Beach camp....Waves lapping at your door, flat & sandy, open area, toilets, bring your firewood + water, less mosquitoes.Tide tables needed.

Sent from my X550 using Tapatalk
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Kainas » Sun 19 Jul, 2015 10:20 am

Next question. What is the phone service like on the walk?
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Kainas » Sun 19 Jul, 2015 1:39 pm

Actually a few more questions:

1. What is the phone service like.

2. Could you tell me more about the river crossings. Sandon River and Wooli Wooli River. Are either walkable at low tide, or is a boat crossing required. We would be travelling in a large group (3 adults, 1 teenager, 4 children). I have heard that it is 'easy' to get a lift across the river, but I am wondering whether hitching a lift with such a large group is possible, or whether organising with a transport company is better (do they exist?).

3. Could you tell me more about the section south of Wooli. I have read the brochure and it describes it as strenuous. Since we now have the possibility of vehicle support (my friend has a 6mo child, so her husband will walk, but she will meet us at campsites), my youngest (3yo) can hitch a lift with her for the day. My eldest (5yo) is capable of anything, and the tides that day are in our favour (L: 12:21pm) and we are not trying to get all the way to Red Rock, just Wooli to Station Creek.

I want to know if it is just hard work (which I am a sucker for) or if it is particularly dangerous (I have no desire to mess kids and oceans together in an unsafe manner).

4. I have one weekend free between now and the planned walking date. I am tempted to drive up and do a trial run of a small section of the walk. (Basically hike in Sat and hike out sun or do two day walks). Any suggestions as to which section would be the best to do that with? I was thinking one of the more questionable sections so that I can use the information to rethink my plans.

My current plan can be found here:
http://www.wcthompson.net/journal/?p=738
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Sun 19 Jul, 2015 6:44 pm

Q2. Boat crossing required for Sandon & Wooli Wooli....unless you have a packraft or similar. They're wide, deep & fast on outgoing tides.
I see you already have the ferry phone numbers on your journal, just in case you can't hitch a ride across. :wink:

Sandon river crossing.
037 (Medium).JPG

Q3. Not particularly strenuous although it could be with a combo of heavy pack, soft sand, buffeting headwinds or no easy
beach walking because of high tides.
In this section beware of a short, steep strip of coastline on incoming tides, nowhere to escape.
From Wooli it's basically a trackless coastal hike until you cross Freshwater ck, where your pick up a signposted trail
which takes you over the headland to Pebbly Beach.
For a rough idea of the coastline from Station Ck to Wooli Wooli River, check out my photo narrative...https://ofuros.exposure.co/flotsam-jetsam

Ooroo,
ofuros.
Last edited by ofuros on Sun 19 Jul, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Kainas » Sun 19 Jul, 2015 7:45 pm

Thank you. Your information has been invaluable. My friends are coming around for dinner on Friday and we are going to make a final decision. I am a bit excited.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby RileyWayfarer » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 5:10 pm

They're wide, deep & fast on outgoing tides.

ofuros has given you some good advice. I have swam the rivers several times. If you are trying to cross without packs it's not so bad, just wait for the slack water and watch out for oysters on the Wooli River. If you are thinking of a raft or floating packs in dry bags be very careful! I've almost lost people :D Unless the conditions are perfect have a plan B.
RileyWayfarer
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Kainas » Tue 21 Jul, 2015 5:59 am

Thanks for the extra warning. No, we have children, definetly not going to try to walk/swim across. We will organise a boat ride.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Kainas » Sat 12 Sep, 2015 1:52 pm

Hi, sorry to do this question to death.

Still not sure about taking kids on one section of the track, south of Wooli. I have heard that it is very dangerous. My question is why?

The tides for the day that we are planning are:
Tides: H 6:24am L 12:21pm (0.2m) H 6:48pm

Given that we will probably leave wooli about 10am, I feel confident that we can walk the 6km of beach in safety. But I haven't been there, and I don't want to be a fool (with 3 kids, 5,7,9 - the 3yo gets a car ride that day). We only have day packs - one of which has my ergo just in case the 5yo (17kg) needs to be carried.

I would appreciate some more advice.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Kainas » Sat 12 Sep, 2015 4:32 pm

Question 2: I have also just been told that the campsites are full during the holidays. Even that Sandon campground is already full. Is it really that bad?
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Sun 13 Sep, 2015 10:32 am

Pm sent....
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT