The BIG Question?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

The BIG Question?

Postby kanangra » Tue 20 Aug, 2013 12:11 pm

Is there a track along Matthews Ridge in Dharug NP? OK so that is not up there with qustions about the meaning of life but it is one that has intrigued me for several years. I have a very old Hawkesbury tourist map showing a track along the length of Matthews Ridge connecting the Western and Eastern powerline roads. There is also a track on the ridge shown in the Guidebook to Sydney Bushwalks on the page describing the Mill Ck circuit. So this morning I decided to put an end to the feverish speculation and check it out.

I set out on the Mill Ck circuit undeterred by a sign saying the track was closed until further notice due to a landslide. I had forgotten what a pretty litle walk this is as it follows the creek up. After a while it climbs steeply onto a saddle. The track continues down the other side but I turn right and head up a small rise to attain Matthews Ridge. Here it is not far from the main track and i soon arrive at a small cairn and a faint track. The first thing I can tell you is that there is no road up there and never has been. Firstly I follow the ridge to the right (south east). Really there is no track but every now and again I think I spot one. There are a few broken branches meaning someone has been this way recently but no track. So after attaining the first main hill I return to the cairn.

Next I proceed in the north western direction following a faint track. This climbs for a while and then seems to peter out at another cairn? Disappointed I return to the first cairn and then the Mill Ck circuit track which I complete back to the car. Near the end I come across the rockfall which has closed the track. (This really is a very pleasant little walk).

So the answer is; there is no real track on Matthews Ridge. Now of course that does not mean that a way cannot be made down the ridge from the Western powerline Rd. to the Eastern, but navigation wouldn't be easy and the scrub, whilst not dense, is thick in parches. Maybe another day?

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: The BIG Question?

Postby ferozious » Tue 20 Aug, 2013 12:55 pm

I can sleep easy now :)
ferozious
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby kanangra » Tue 20 Aug, 2013 1:45 pm

Yeah great to be able to put your mind at rest. 8)
K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kjbeath » Wed 21 Aug, 2013 7:25 am

Somewhere off to the East is quite a good aboriginal art site, which is probably where the cairns are going.
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT