Thungutti camp area and walking tracks

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Thungutti camp area and walking tracks

Postby hunsta » Wed 26 Jun, 2013 3:35 pm

Just looking for some info on the Thungutti camp area and its walking tracks. In the New England NP?There is a little info on the Eagles nest track( short but steep), but I can't find any info like distances and grades for what looks like atleast half a dozen other trails. Can anyone help with some more info. Will be in the area first weekend in August.
I REALLY AM A NICE GUY. JUST ASK ANYONE WHO HASN'T MET ME.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/gympieregionalhiking/
hunsta
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Thungutti camp area and walking tracks

Postby ofuros » Wed 26 Jun, 2013 4:41 pm

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/natio ... x?id=N0028

I've done both the Cascade & Wrights Lookout track as one walk... cascades is all quietness, ferns & moss,
while there's a baby scramble to windswept Wrights lookout...where you can see for miles & miles.
I havn't done the others or the 33km one way wilderness walk down to the Bellinger river.
Usually pop in there when I've finished chasing trout down at the Styx river.

Hyatt flats in another good camp spot in the same area, right on the banks of the Styx river....a downstream walk will take
you through the gorge to where it joins the Serpentine river. Lots of river crossing & a bit of scrambling through the gorge.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby awildland » Wed 26 Jun, 2013 8:00 pm

ofuros has given you the best link already but just thought I'd add some recommendations. The Lyre Bird Track loop is really spectacular and worth doing. The track is well marked and not difficult but can be slippery in the wet parts. For a big day walk you can add on to the Lyre Bird loop the trip out to Wrights Lookout and/or the Cascades Loop. Tea Tree Falls walk from the campground is easy and very pretty and can be made into a short loop by returning back along the road. I remember on this forum reading about the Wilderness Walk that takes you down to from Thungutti to Thora and you can read their notes here: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4717&p=56536&hilit=new+england+wilderness+walk#p56536

We've done a lot of off-track walking in this park as well and one of these walks can be seen on our blog page. If you want to see some pictures etc visit http://awildland.blogspot.com.au.

Enjoy your visit and take your winter woollies - it snows there occasionally in winter and the camp ground is quite shady! Weeping Rock has been known to freeze solid. :)
awildland
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby hunsta » Wed 26 Jun, 2013 10:16 pm

Firstly thanks to ofuros that was a great link and gave me exactly what I wanted. And awildland, absolutely spectacular blog. Some really amazing photos there. Thanks also. Some great info there. I will definately heed the "winter woolies" comment.. Looking forward to spending a couple of days there.
Cheers
Craig
I REALLY AM A NICE GUY. JUST ASK ANYONE WHO HASN'T MET ME.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/gympieregionalhiking/
hunsta
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Grabeach » Thu 27 Jun, 2013 10:29 am

Back in the 80s (gee, I seem to say that a lot), I obtained from the University of New England (UNE) Mountaineering Club a copy of their 109 page, "A Guide to Northeastern NSW Walking, Canoeing, Caving, Climbing - 4th Ed. 1981". Masses of information on a huge area. For the New England National park, while only mentioning the track walks, it also lists route notes (with grid refs) for two longer day walks and six 2 to 5 day walks.

The good news is that the 'Guides' tab of the club's (now the UNE Outdoor Adventure Club) website http://uneoac.wordpress.com indicates a new version is now available. Expect to pay more than the $5.75 I did at the time.
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby awildland » Sun 28 Jul, 2013 6:36 pm

hunsta wrote: I will definately heed the "winter woolies" comment.. Looking forward to spending a couple of days there.
Cheers
Craig

Hi Craig,

Hope you are still looking forward to your weekend at New England National Park. Just thought I'd share the latest weather reports as it dropped to -7 degrees celcius in Armidale on Saturday morning and has been consistently 0 degrees at nearby Dorrigo for a week. 8) Very windy too. We were up at Thungutti camp ground last weekend and it was howling!!! mainly just windy in the morning and up at point lookout, but bitterly cold. Bits of ice lying around on some of the tracks.

Also, I meant to post earlier to say thanks for your nice words about our blog. Enjoy New England. I think the forecast is for weather not quite as cold as this weekend... :)

Chrissy
awildland
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CharlesA » Mon 05 Aug, 2013 8:08 am

Grabeach wrote:Back in the 80s (gee, I seem to say that a lot), I obtained from the University of New England (UNE) Mountaineering Club a copy of their 109 page, "A Guide to Northeastern NSW Walking, Canoeing, Caving, Climbing - 4th Ed. 1981". Masses of information on a huge area. For the New England National park, while only mentioning the track walks, it also lists route notes (with grid refs) for two longer day walks and six 2 to 5 day walks.

The good news is that the 'Guides' tab of the club's (now the UNE Outdoor Adventure Club) website http://uneoac.wordpress.com indicates a new version is now available. Expect to pay more than the $5.75 I did at the time.

An update on the new edition of the UNEOAC guide book,
I tried to track down a copy last week and after not finding one contacted the club.
I was told they've run into problems getting it printed.
But once that's sorted out, it will be available - Good news!
CharlesA
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to New South Wales & ACT