Make sure you put your fires out properly

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Make sure you put your fires out properly

Postby anotherwalker » Sun 16 Jun, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi guys,

The other week I was in Glenbrook National Park, having lunch at the Oaks picnic area, near Red Hands Cave.

These people in a 4wd left the BBQ area while we started having lunch. An hour later I went over to check that their fire was out and it still had red embers in it. So I poured almost an entire bottle of water on it to put it out properly.

I just wish people would take more care if they are going to have a wood fire BBQ even in a BBQ area, that they at least put their fires out properly regardless of the time of year. Its so irresponsible and ruins it for everyone.

Reminds of another time I was camping in the Wollemi National Park Creek campsite and although the previous campers had left that early that morning their fireplace still had red hot coals in the mid afternoon, so much that I could start the fire again with just one piece of newspaper. If people aren't intelligent enough to put a fire out properly maybe they shouldn't have one in the first place.

Thanks
AnotherWalker
anotherwalker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Make sure you put your fires out properly

Postby ribuck » Sun 16 Jun, 2013 9:41 pm

I like to totally drench the fire, so that the ashes aren't even warm. As it happens, I also like to camp beside watercourses, which makes putting out the fire easy.

Fortunately, very few fires are started by bushwalkers, or even by irresponsible 4WDers. The last figures I saw were from ages ago, but the figure was 7% for wildfires started by "picnicers or bushwalkers". By far the biggest category was "managed burns" that got out of control.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Re: Make sure you put your fires out properly

Postby Strider » Sun 16 Jun, 2013 9:52 pm

I have arrived at a hut to find candles still burning on the table. Someone people just don't think before they leave.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to New South Wales & ACT