Overnighter suitable for kids

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Overnighter suitable for kids

Postby ozdave » Thu 06 Jun, 2013 11:45 am

Hello everybody!!

Hoping someone can help me out with a few ideas. Looking to take my son (age 7) on his first overnight hike. He's a good little walker and is excited at the prospect of going on an adventure in the bush with his dad (though I'm probably more excited!). I've done a bit of hiking myself including several overnighters. So what we are looking for ideally is:

1) 8-15km distance, up to 8 hours total walking time
2) within a couple of hours from Sydney. Have a car so a return (least preferable), circuit or one-way with public transport (inc taxi) could work.
3) preferably a remote area esp. for the camp spot - preferably we can get a fire going
4) no treacherous cliffs
5) prefer bushtracks to firetrails
6) things that kids like - caves, mountain peaks, creeks, big trees, animals etc

Would ideally like something with a decent map available or good tracknotes to minimise chances of getting lost!

We were all set to do this walk http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-an ... y-woy.html this weekend but it's trackworks so no way to get to the station.

Thank you very much in advance!

Dave
ozdave
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Overnighter suitable for kids

Postby Onestepmore » Thu 06 Jun, 2013 4:24 pm

Have a look at Startlight's Trail. Nattai NP. Starts at Wattle Ridge, accessed from Hilltop about 1.5 hours south of Sydney (via the Picton turnoff off the expressway, then through Picton and Thirlmere)
With a child allow 3 hours down and 3.5 hours back up. Varied terrain, starts off as fire trail then bush track, some good gully views, a bit of a steep climb back up out of the valley though and has one shaley bit.
The area down the bottom, Macarthur's and Emmets Flat is a lovely place to pitch a tent- level, grassy, has wombats. Mozzies in summer tho. Two fire pits. There is a creek/river to explore, and drinkable fresh water from nearby Troy's creek.
Up on the plateau there is Ahearn's lookout track (not marked on topo the maps though) - good views over the valley. Too exposed to camp there in winter though, and no water. It's just a short side trip for another day. I don't suggest going down via the Slot with a child.
Both our kids have been to Starlights overnight since about 9 years of age, but they had been camping and walking prior to that. Have a look anyway.

Another nice place to take kids for a wak and camping is Griffiths Farm in Morton NP, but it's mainly down a fire trail, but the vegetation varies beweeen subtrocical and lush to dry sclerophyll. Steep on the way back. Down the bottom there's a small creek to cross - take crocs. Usually less than knee deep.A few different approaches to this area. Lovely level open grassy camping area on the flat, roos, wombats. Good creek to swim in in summer. Old farmhouse ruin on the hill to explore. Fire area ringed with stones but not many logs to sit on - next time we go there I'm bringing a small stool! Other longer walks branch out from here. I think from memory 16 km return?

These two are are our easy 'go to' bush camp overnighters esp with kids or friends.
Last edited by Onestepmore on Thu 06 Jun, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Onestepmore » Thu 06 Jun, 2013 4:34 pm

OK I just looked them up in some books
Startlights is in 'Best Walks of the Southern Highlands' by John and Gilian Scouter
it's on p 48
The 15 km loop is graded as hard - this isn't what am suggesting. It's the 'walk variation' on p 50 - 13 km return - allow 4 hours, medium grade

The second walk and it's options is well described in 'Best Bush Coast and Village Walks of the Shoalhaven', but I can't find my copy just at the moment (grumble grumble about people not putting things back where they belong....)

Edit - found it
Page 83 - 87
Yarrunga Valley and Griffin Farm
5 hrs, medium (I think it's easy, just a bit steep on the way back)
14 km return

NB on the maps there is a 'toilet' sign, but there is no loo there. Apparently one is planned
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jonnosan » Thu 06 Jun, 2013 8:13 pm

Check out Deep Pass - (half way down http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/natio ... x?id=N0051 )
The hike to the campsite is a lot shorter than you want (although steep) but there are lots of walks you can do out from there and your son will absolutely love exploring the Split Rock
Maybe combine with a daytrip that incorporates the Glow Worm Tunnel
jonnosan
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby ozdave » Fri 07 Jun, 2013 12:16 pm

Thanks very much - some great ideas there.

Will let you know what we decide. Thanks again!
ozdave
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby skibug » Fri 07 Jun, 2013 2:38 pm

Hey Ozdave,

Plenty of options on Wildwalks - do keyword searches for the following = Pindar cave, Cowan to Brooklyn (camp Brooklyn dam), Coastal track (pre-book North Era camp site), or in the Blue Mountains some of the hikes around Glenbrook, or Kedumba Farm return from the old hospital, Acacia flat return from Govett's Leap, or Burra Korain return from Victoria Falls Lookout. Think carefully about the Blue Mountains this time of year and temperatures/weather.

Hope your boy enjoys the trip, there's nothing like the energy a kid gets from a wilderness experience.

As an aside, have a look at this short film by Ryan Jordan about teenage boys and the benefits of hiking/camping:

http://vimeo.com/58517321

Skibug
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ozdave » Fri 07 Jun, 2013 3:28 pm

Thanks Skibug - nice video.

Decided on the Girrakool to Staples Lookout one described here - http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-an ... falls.html.

Starlights sounded great but without being able to source the right books or maps (we are going this weekend), I don't want to risk it. Might be worth saving for an adults trip to the needle too!

Deep Pass looks great too but again perhaps best saved for a group trip (with kids) as it looks pretty accessible. My 5 year old could probably handle the hike too (and the wife).

Thanks again all - some fantastic inspiration!!
ozdave
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ribuck » Fri 07 Jun, 2013 8:02 pm

I'm not sure whether you can have a campfire anywhere near Girrakool.

What about going down Bob Turner's track to the Colo River? That was the first overnighter I did with my six-year-old. The weather was good, so we camped under the stars on the opposite bank, and explored up and down the river. I wholeheartedly recommend this one.

Another great walk for kids is to start from Glenbrook Station and walk along Kanuka Brook until you get to the sandy campsite on the stream bend. One time when I was there, we had glow-worms and fireflies. On the other hand, I heard that Kanuka Brook has become more scrubby recently.

Mt Solitary is probably a bit far for a 7-year-old, but Ruined Castle should be within easy reach. There are some level spots at the base of the rocks. Need to carry water for this one though. I've sometimes seen tents lower down, near the old tramway, but I wouldn't inflict leeches on a 7-year-old.

There is a lovely big camping cave between Hanging Rock and Crayfish Creek with fantastic views. It's easy to get to yet totally remote (the last 500 metres is untracked).

There's a camping cave immediately west of Mt Piddington that's even easier to get to (twenty minutes along a track). When I took my kids there, we were regaled by fantastic lyrebird song. There is a drop near the sleeping area though, which made one of my kids anxious, which was solved by me sleeping on the side closest to the drop.

There's a pleasant spot for a tent near where the track down from Devil's Hole (Katoomba) crosses a small stream before it reaches the Water Board Road.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby ozdave » Thu 13 Jun, 2013 10:37 am

What a truly awesome hike. Absolutely magic unforgettable experience for both me and my son.... can't stop thinking about it :D :D :D
ozdave
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Rob Gosford » Thu 13 Jun, 2013 1:10 pm

hi Ozdave......
glad to hear you and your son enjoyed it. The weather on sunday would have been just right for it. Have done that walk quite a few times.......its in my backyard :D :D

the view south from Scopas Peak :shock: is fantastic isn't it. And Kariong Brook waterfall >>>> well, what can one say........pretty as a picture ! Did you take a detour to Mt. Wondabyne ?

i hope your son gets the bushwalking bug in the future.......i reckon he will never forget the day he did this walk with his dad :wink:

8)
Rob Gosford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Onestepmore » Sat 15 Jun, 2013 5:57 pm

Lizzy's report of this walk with her 6 yo
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4950
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT