Wild Dog Mountains Hazard Reduction Burn

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Wild Dog Mountains Hazard Reduction Burn

Postby Allchin09 » Tue 30 Apr, 2013 9:06 pm

Hey,

I was just notified via the Blue Mountains LAC Facebook page that back burning is proposed for the Wild Dog Mountains.

What are peoples thoughts on it?

Will it provide greater access to areas which are currently overgrown and too hard to get to, or will it lead to the loss to bushwalking tracks as plants grow back?

A very large hazard reduction burn – covering some 5,640ha – is proposed for the Wild Dog Mountains, Blue Mountains National Park, in early May.
NPWS advise that extensive track closures will be in place near Green Gully, Cox’s River, Narrow Neck and Wild Dog Mountains during and after the burn.

NPWS Regional Manager Geoff Luscombe said the Wild Dog West burn will be the largest burn undertaken in Blue Mountains National Park for many years.

“We don’t have an exact date for this burn yet, as it will depend on weather; given the popularity of this area for overnight bushwalkers we have tried to avoid times of peak use.

“Anyone intending to walk in Wild Dogs during May should check the national parks website prior to setting off to find out which areas are affected.
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers
Region: New South Wales

Re: Wild Dog Mountains Hazard Reduction Burn

Postby tastrax » Tue 30 Apr, 2013 9:37 pm

Allchin09 wrote:Will it provide greater access to areas which are currently overgrown and too hard to get to, or will it lead to the loss to bushwalking tracks as plants grow back?

There is likely to be a period when the walking (off and on track) will be easier due to the undergrowth being reduced but that also depends on how well the burn is executed. It also depends on how quickly you get access after the burn. My advice is don't rush in straight after the burn as there will be trees that will fall/collapse immediately after the burn. Give it a few weeks.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby KANANGRABOYD » Wed 01 May, 2013 5:18 am

Well that is going to make things difficult for the trout season. I'm heading in there tomorrow for 8 days. I wonder when in May as I know the NPWS and owner of Konangaroo are going there for pig culling/baiting for 10 days starting the 10th.
KANANGRABOYD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: none

Postby DarrenM » Wed 01 May, 2013 6:27 am

Thanks for the heads up!

Hopefully it's well sign posted for people coming in from obscure parts of the park.

An exact date would be good....
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jonnosan » Wed 01 May, 2013 10:05 am

I think they are holding off on setting an exact date due so they can respond to weather conditions.
Which will be awkward for people doing week long walks through the area...
jonnosan

Postby FatCanyoner » Wed 01 May, 2013 10:32 am

They have now put a full media release up on the Office of Environment and Heritage website: http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/media ... 050102.htm

A very large hazard reduction burn – covering some 5,640ha – is proposed for the Wild Dog Mountains, Blue Mountains National Park, early this month.
The NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) advise that extensive track closures will be in place near Green Gully, Cox’s River, Narrow Neck and Wild Dog Mountains during and after the burn.
These areas are popular with overnight bushwalkers however, during early May, NPWS recommends nearby Jamison Valley (Mount Solitary) or the Grose Valley (Blue Gum Forest) as alternatives.
NPWS Regional Manager Geoff Luscombe said the Wild Dog West burn will be the largest burn undertaken in Blue Mountains National Park for many years.
“We don’t have an exact date for this burn yet, as it will depend on weather; given the popularity of this area for overnight bushwalkers we have tried to avoid times of peak use.
“Anyone intending to walk in Wild Dogs during May should check the national parks website prior to setting off to find out which areas are affected.
“Further announcements will be made as soon as we have a firm date for this burn.”
Once underway, the Wild Dog Mountains burn will affect the following locations:
• Green Gully picnic and camping areas (Dunphy’s Camp) will be closed during and after the operation;
• Trail closures include all walks in the Wild Dog Mountains, the Kanangra to Katoomba track, Splendor Rock, Yellow Dog track, Blue Dog track, Breakfast Creek track, Carlons Head off Narrow Neck Bell Bird Ridge track and the Cox’s River south of Breakfast Creek;
• Smoke will be visible from vantage points at the Three Sisters, Leura, Wentworth Falls, Mount Victoria, Narrow Neck, Hampton, and throughout the Kanimbla and Megalong Valleys;
• Smoke may also be visible from the Great Western Highway between Wentworth Falls and Hartley.
“The proposed burn is very large, covering about 5,640 hectares in remote country through the Wild Dog Mountains, just south west of Katoomba,” Mr Luscombe said.
“We’ve tried to minimise the impact as much as we can, but this is a very important part of our bushfire management planning that will help limit the potential for bushfire to spread eastwards during summer and protect the quality of Sydney’s drinking water.
“The area will be closed in the days leading up to the burn and for an unknown period of time afterwards; we will reopen this popular part of the park when it has been fully assessed and is safe for visitors to enjoy.
“It may cause smoke in the mountains during the week of the burn and we’re hoping it will not take any longer than three days to complete.”
“We need to seize every window of opportunity in the mountains before wintry conditions make it too wet or windy for burning to be safe or effective.”
For information about walks contact the NPWS staff at the Heritage Centre on (02) 4787 8877.
For information about track closures go to http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/
Since July 1, 2012 the NPWS has completed more than 210 burns totalling more than 110,000ha – our largest ever hazard reduction program. This is more than 65 per cent of all hazard reduction carried out in NSW during the period, despite NPWS managing just 25 per cent of the state’s fire prone land.
This hazard reduction burn is part of the NSW Government’s $62.5 million package to boost bushfire preparedness and double hazard reduction in the state’s national parks over where conditions allow.

Beyond the closures when the burn happens, I'd expect these areas to remain closed for several weeks afterwards due to risks from falling limbs / and the need to check the safety of tracks etc. I wouldn't plan any trips around there for anywhere in May unless you had a good fallback plan.

I am interested to hear if anyone has some expertise on the potential environmental impacts of such a large burn. I can't recall anything even close to this scale.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au

Postby jonnosan » Fri 03 May, 2013 10:04 pm

I wonder if this will impact the north face 100 (scheduled for May 18) - the route goes includes Tarros,Medlow Gap, Green Gully and Ironpot Ridge
jonnosan

Postby FatCanyoner » Mon 06 May, 2013 9:42 pm

Here's the map of the planned burn (assuming it doesn't jump into any neighbouring bush...)

It's pretty much burning the entire Wild Dogs. I am a little curious just what property is being protected by this hazard reduction, given it is miles to the nearest house. I seems more like a way of getting the figures up on hectares burnt than a genuine risk reduction measure!

465135_576060792439432_756992696_o.jpg
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au

Postby jonnosan » Mon 06 May, 2013 10:56 pm

FatCanyoner wrote: I am a little curious just what property is being protected by this hazard reduction, given it is miles to the nearest house.

According to the press release above, it is intended to act as a break on fires getting too close to Lake Burragorang, rather than protecting houses.
jonnosan

Postby Marwood » Tue 07 May, 2013 5:21 am

Looks like it's to protect Konangaroo. No doubt they'll burn the KW side next.
Come on lads, let's get home. The sky's beginning to bruise, night must fall, and we shall be forced to camp.
Marwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby buggeriamold » Fri 10 May, 2013 3:41 pm

buggeriamold
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lindsay » Fri 10 May, 2013 4:46 pm

This must be the source of the haze over northern Sydney today.
Lindsay

Postby KANANGRABOYD » Fri 10 May, 2013 5:05 pm

damn, I have everything packed, was heading off for another 7 days, but guess not..... wonder how long it will be closed for?
KANANGRABOYD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby clarence » Sun 12 May, 2013 11:24 pm

FatCanyoner wrote:I am interested to hear if anyone has some expertise on the potential environmental impacts of such a large burn. I can't recall anything even close to this scale.

I used to work for the NPWS on ecological aspects of fire management. I am generally very critical of the way the NPWS manages land and access, however, I do believe that they would have this one pretty well sorted. In comparison to a large wildfire, which is quite possible, this is not excessively large in my opinion. If a large summer wildfire was to come through uncontrolled the effect would probably be worse than a controlled hazard reduction/ecologically managed burn like this. There were some wildfires in the southern Blue Mountains in the mid to late 1990s each of which took out areas of similar size to this (Green Wattle Creek and Beloon Pass areas).

From an ecological perspective, when intervals between burns are too long, certain species can be negatively affected.
May is ideally the time to do such a burn, as air temperatures will progressively decrease going in to winter and the chance of ongoing flare ups in lessened (compared to a spring burn, where the opposite is true).

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 13 May, 2013 7:20 am

Has this got any effect on the Six Foot Track?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Marwood » Mon 13 May, 2013 8:07 am

The Six Foot Track is outside the planned burn area - the area extends up the Coxs as far as Breakfast Creek, so a few kms downstream of the SFT. A map of the planned burn area is here: http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resources/parks/WildDogsWestHRB.pdf.

Could well be smoke around Megalong Valley depending on the wind direction.
Come on lads, let's get home. The sky's beginning to bruise, night must fall, and we shall be forced to camp.
Marwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 13 May, 2013 8:32 am

Marwood wrote:The Six Foot Track is outside the planned burn area - the area extends up the Coxs as far as Breakfast Creek, so a few kms downstream of the SFT. A map of the planned burn area is here: http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resources/parks/WildDogsWestHRB.pdf.

Could well be smoke around Megalong Valley depending on the wind direction.

Ouch. Smoke would not be good. I am headed to the Blue Mountains shortly. I will see what the conditions are like for thr Six Foot Track. I planned to start the walk on Friday.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Wollemi » Mon 13 May, 2013 1:31 pm

What's the fuss over the Wild Dogs?

I live in Richmond; on Saturday 4th, many NPWS vehicles at their office (charming, very old building, BTW) - a controlled burn was to be undertaken in Wollemi; this may smoulder and continue to next weekend. Our landcare group had to cancel a trip for next weekend to Mt Townsend bend as the backburn may still affect the area.

On this Saturday we went to treat Cape Ivy on the Colo at the base of Boorai Ridge, out from the Culoul Range. Hazy across the tops, but the sky was clear from our perspective when in the Colo Gorge.

Sunday 5th, went cycle touring Hampton - Sodwalls - Rydal, driving there via Bells Line of Rd. We were in light smog from Richmond to Bilpin - and could see this thick crap from the Jenolan Caves Road - back over the Sydney side of the western escarpment.
At work in Castlereagh this morning, I was watching a Herc fly around very low - I realised I was looking through smoke haze, too.

Moral - go cycling in the Central West, Phil. I'm off sea-kayaking Broughton Islands for the next few days.
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jonnosan » Mon 13 May, 2013 3:50 pm

Phillipsart wrote:Has this got any effect on the Six Foot Track?

I did the 6 ft track (Katoomba to Jenolan) on saturday night. Couldn't smell any smoke on the way.
jonnosan

Postby Chewbeca » Mon 20 May, 2013 9:54 am

Hello,

Any news on when the Wild Dogs tracks will be open?
Chewbeca
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby KANANGRABOYD » Mon 20 May, 2013 12:38 pm

Chewbeca wrote:Hello,

Any news on when the Wild Dogs tracks will be open?

Here's the Link: http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/natio ... osure.aspx

I could see smoke all the way from Jenolan and looked as though it was burning around Mt Mouin. I don't think it will reopen until June. Go to the above website, or give NPWS a call to get more info.
Cheers,
KB
KANANGRABOYD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Allchin09 » Mon 20 May, 2013 4:54 pm

Hey,

They are now burning around Kanangra...

Hazard reduction burn

An aerially ignited prescribed burn will be undertaken along the Gingra Range in Kanangra-Boyd National Park between Friday 17th and Monday 20th May 2013. Walkers are advised to avoid this area during these dates.
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers

Return to New South Wales & ACT