Experienced walker missing in Grose Valley

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Experienced walker missing in Grose Valley

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 28 May, 2020 1:45 pm

Perplexing case. Experienced walker set out last Saturday from Evans Lookout on a day walk. Been missing ever since. :(

https://www.bluemountainsgazette.com.au ... h/?cs=1432

Large ongoing search operation by NSW police, SES bushwalker SAR and other emergency services.

Ive walked into the Grose numerous times via Rodriguez Pass or the Horse Track as Im sure many here have. Those would be the areas I can imagine a person having an accident, as steep terrain and scrambley foot pad in parts. However they are not large areas and would have been well searched by now. Also I imagine the flattish track along Govetts Creek and to Blue Gum and the exits back to the top would have been well searched.

Wonder if he went for an explore up to Edenderry/Hillary Falls or took the track up to the airfield and beyond. Maybe an explore on the Jungle track. The recent fires would have cleared some undergrowth which will be a positive for spotting him but a negative if he chose to go offtrack and explore areas usually hard to access but now clear of scrubby undergrowth.

All the best to the searchers. Hoping for a good outcome.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Experienced walker missing in Grose Valley

Postby Warin » Thu 28 May, 2020 4:29 pm

Note that the Grose Valley including Cliff Top, Bridal Veil Falls, Rodriguez Pass, Victoria Falls, Pierces Pass (Hungerfords) and Short Ridge (aka Lockleys Pylon closed below Pylon), due to fire damage is closed.
Open: Evans lookout, Grand Canyon, Govetts Leap. This is from the present NSWNPS website.

The way I read that Blue Gum would be closed, attempting a walk in there would be against the 'rules'. While I have been very tempted to go in there after the fires to explore with the probability of scrub being cleared I have restrained myself. I now think regrowth will have greatly reduced the benefits of a walk after the fires.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby mandragara » Sat 30 May, 2020 10:08 pm

It's a perplexing case.

This guy is, as you say, super experienced. Being a long term member of a local bushwalking group.

He was last seen on the Horse Track at 9am. That basically gives him 8 hours of daylight to do his walk.

My bet is he set out to do some 'local knowledge' route and was using the Horse Track to get there quickly, quicker than Rodriguez Pass at least. The terrain of where he was walking wll probably have been damaged by the floods and this may have been his first time there since. With lots of fresh loose rocks, an accidental slip and a cracked pelvis is a possibility.

I saw an old man sneakily descending from Fortress Creek once, perhaps there's some stuff up there the locals know about. That's an example of a more obscure place that most wouldn't check. Or those 'loops' you can make by skirting along the base of the cliffs that surround the valley.

A shame he didn't tell anyone where he was going or carry a PLB. It's possible he's still alive though, assuming he managed to drag himself to Water and shelter. I hope he's OK.
mandragara
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 31 May, 2020 3:06 pm

David Bush has been found by searchers deceased. :(

Rest in Peace.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby puredingo » Mon 01 Jun, 2020 9:16 am

Terrible news to hear. I wonder what the details are?
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby eggs » Mon 01 Jun, 2020 10:39 am

Blue Mountains Gazette reported a body this morning prior to identification.
Brief detail was:
About 1.30pm on Saturday, May 30, PolAir located the body of a man on a cliff ledge in bushland north of Evans Lookout.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Return to New South Wales & ACT