Great North Walk: Congewai Track Head to Watagan HQ

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Great North Walk: Congewai Track Head to Watagan HQ

Postby RobN » Wed 10 Feb, 2016 6:35 pm

Hello,

I have almost completed the Great North Walk but am stuck on the Congewai Track Head to Watagan HQ section. I don't mind the distance of the walk but transport in this area is a real nuisance, the start and end points are 45 minutes drive apart. Just wondering if anyone has tried to split this walk, i.e arrive via Barraba Ln, Quorrobolong? OSM states there's a track at the end of Barraba Ln that links to the Great North Walk (is this easy to navigate?).

I can't convince any of my friends to take their cars on unsealed roads so I was thinking: leave my car at Watagan HQ and bike ride at Barraba Ln then do half the walk back to HQ. Any other ideas or suggestions welcome.

Thank you

Walk Reference:
http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-an ... rters.html
RobN
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Great North Walk: Congewai Track Head to Watagan HQ

Postby Bron » Wed 10 Feb, 2016 7:46 pm

The drive between Congewoi Valley and Watagan HQ is not too bad, you do not need a 4wd to get to either of these places. The alternative I have done is Watagan Creek Rd trackhead to the end of Georges Rd - but you need a proper 4wd these days to get to the end of the road as it is not mantained; also the only way to get to Watagan Ck Rd Trackhead is via Laguna since the bridge went out.

The other suggestion would be to do it with a bushwalking group who can arrange the car shuffle - I know of at least 2 groups who will be doing that walk this year.

regards
Bron
Bron
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby forest » Fri 12 Feb, 2016 5:12 pm

You could walk Forest HQ to Congewai, camp the night in the hut and walk back the next day. Not ideal but it would get the job done. You can easily get a 2nd car to HQ, either via Quarabalong (excuse the incorrect spelling) or via Mt Faulk Rd on the Freeman's Waterhole side. While steep-ish Mt Faulk Rd was recently graded and not hard on a car.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby forest » Fri 12 Feb, 2016 5:17 pm

Just thinking about it the leg from HQ to Barraba trig is mostly run of the mill forest rd. Some nice lookouts but nothing exciting. You could MTB it and then just do the walking bit from Barraba trig to Congewai. Then walk back to the bike and ride back to your car. There are a few hills, but nothing huge and depending on your MTB ability only a few bits you'd push a bike.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest

Return to New South Wales & ACT