KNP, Thiess Village FT, Jagungal

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

KNP, Thiess Village FT, Jagungal

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 30 Oct, 2014 1:06 pm

My Khancoban 1:25 map is over 30 years old and shows the Thiess Village Fire Trail between Tooma Reservoir and Round Mountain Fire Trail. The latest maps do not show the Thiess Village FT. Is this FT still there, easily navigable, bushfire regrowth, drop-bears? I have no wish to battle KNP bushfire regrowth again.

The SE approach to Jagungal has two routes, via the Toolong Range, and the spur just west between upper reaches of the Geehi River. My memory is unclear about these spurs. Is one more easily walked than the other, that is, light scrub? Another option is due east from Jagungal Saddle. Viable? TIA.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: KNP, Thiess Village FT, Jagungal

Postby north-north-west » Thu 30 Oct, 2014 3:50 pm

All three major routes were pretty open last time I was up there. I prefer the Toolong Range ridge as it's the best way to connect the Bull Peaks and Brassy Mtns to Jagungal. The route virtually due north over Strawberry Hill is also very open. There's a little very light scrub on the side of Tarn Bluff, but anything that could be awkward is easily sidestepped.
Pretty well all the approaches to the Jagged One are good going. Only scrub I've ever hit up there was a bit on the first part of the climb up from the old homestead site on Farm Ridge.

Never even heard of the Thiess Village FT, but if it's the route I'm thinking of it will be at least as badly overgrown as the worst parts of the old Stromlo FT.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Re: KNP, Thiess Village FT, Jagungal

Postby shane73 » Fri 31 Oct, 2014 10:43 am

The walk up from Jagungal Saddle has always been pleasant for me with just a little light bush at the beginning. I was last there a little over a year ago.

Has anyone ever seen any trout near Mawson's Hut? I haven't. Too high?
shane73
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Return to New South Wales & ACT