Jagungal

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Jagungal

Postby shane73 » Wed 22 Oct, 2014 7:59 pm

I'm thinking of heading up to the country surrounding Jagungal and the Main Range in November and was wondering how things are up there? Any march flies yet? Any other issues? Any tips for catching those trout lazing about in the upper Tumut? The buggers kept following my fly to the waters edge and not biting; frustrating after pasta pasta pasta.
shane73
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Re: Jagungal

Postby icefest » Thu 23 Oct, 2014 5:49 am

shane73 wrote:frustrating after pasta pasta pasta.

Is this a fishing term I don't get?
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby climberman » Thu 23 Oct, 2014 6:03 am

icefest wrote:
shane73 wrote:frustrating after pasta pasta pasta.

Is this a fishing term I don't get?

or autocorrect for cast, cast, cast!
climberman
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Mark F » Thu 23 Oct, 2014 7:39 am

I believe it is 3 days of pasta and no plump trout to break the monotony.

There shouldn't be march flies yet but the streams will be high with snow melt.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 23 Oct, 2014 8:03 am

Agreed, rivers and creeks could be high. You may also get some bad weather as the end of winter is not too distant. Skiing will be limited. Choose sheltered campsites, preferably hiding behind rocks.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby shane73 » Thu 23 Oct, 2014 11:29 am

Thanks guys,

The circa late 1990s Macpac Olympus scoffs at bad weather! In 20 years of walking I have not once pitched the Olympus behind rocks, nor has it complained.

I don't intend any skiing

Ah yes, pasta pasta pasta describes monotonous consumption of pasta.

Sounds like the most dangerous thing as usual will be sunburn from snow reflection :-)
shane73
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 24 Oct, 2014 8:20 am

shane73 wrote:The circa late 1990s Macpac Olympus scoffs at bad weather! In 20 years of walking I have not once pitched the Olympus behind rocks, nor has it complained.

Sounds like the most dangerous thing as usual will be sunburn from snow reflection :-)

But surely you need an upgrade for the tent. I mean really, late 1990s means XP, and there is no support any more. And the Olympus weighs well over a kilogram. Sunburn can be a problem. Two Australians in NZ walking on snow found out that sun reflected up their shorts burnt in places that the sun does no normally shine.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby shane73 » Sat 25 Oct, 2014 7:48 am

Upgrade my beloved Olympus Lophophaps! It looks like it was just purchased. Those Macpac tents of that vintage when they were made in NZ are brilliant. I'm careful with it though - no snapping together of poles nor erecting until dusk etc. It's one utterly brilliant tent. I honestly expect another decade out of it. No visible signs of any UV degradation. Floor is in seemingly perfect condition.

I recently had to retire my Macpac Cascade of the same age though after the Quantum harness had worn out excessively. I've replaced it with a Wilderness Equipment Lost World which will be on it's first walk to Jagungal and surrounds. This pack looks more capable than the Cascade.

Thanks for the laugh about the sun burn.
shane73
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby shane73 » Sat 25 Oct, 2014 7:54 am

Speaking of packs: Just stumbled on this I had sent someone by email. Thought people might be interested:

I have just returned a new Macpac Torre 80L pack because I had the following problems during my first walk with it in the Vic alps -
1. The shoulder strap tensioners rubbed on the hip belt with each step which quickly became annoying (swish swish swish….)
2. The hip belt buckle creaked with each step downhill (swish creak swish creak...)
3. The hip belt once done up left no allowance for me to lose any more weight because the padding touched against either side of the belt buckle. It’s designed for fat people I think.
Up until now I’ve used a 15 year old Macpac Cascade with no problems until it wore out. I think Macpac’s new harness is a step back from their older Quantum.
shane73
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby icefest » Sat 25 Oct, 2014 8:42 am

Macpac have a fair amount of spares of the old quantum harness. I broke a part of mine and 15 dollars later I had a replacement in my hands :)
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby shane73 » Sat 25 Oct, 2014 12:04 pm

Ta but I tried that; not my bit(s).
shane73
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby icefest » Sat 25 Oct, 2014 12:37 pm

That is a disaster. :'(

Do any of these have the same quantum harness: http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_odkw ... d&_sacat=0
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby shane73 » Sun 26 Oct, 2014 7:40 am

Thanks for your help but I'm not spending any money on the Cascade. I simply use it now to collect the shopping during which the creaks etc can be tolerated for a short time.
I'm looking forward to trying this WE Lost World. It certainly looks more capable and durable than the Cascade.
shane73
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby icefest » Sun 26 Oct, 2014 8:11 am

shane73 wrote:Thanks for your help but I'm not spending any money on the Cascade. I simply use it now to collect the shopping during which the creaks etc can be tolerated for a short time.
I'm looking forward to trying this WE Lost World. It certainly looks more capable and durable than the Cascade.

I thought the creaky pack was the Torre, and that you had your Cascade for 15 years and were really happy with it.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 27 Oct, 2014 10:08 am

Shane73, to veer even further off-topic (you need to understand that I'm a bushwalker and find concentrating quite hard) my main pack is a Lowe Triolet (sp?) bought in 1983. It has been on many trips summer and winter and refuses to fall apart. To get back on topic slightly, I've taken it over Jagungal summer and winter many times, including several approaches I wish I had avoided, including the dreaded scrubaslow energetica. Older gear was heavier but lasted a lot longer. Now I'm heavier and am not sure how long I will last. Maybe a patch will assist.

If you post specifics about your intended route then denizens here may well be able to comment. I checked the maps I had on early visits: SMA 1", Stuart Brookes' Round Mountain, Tim Lamble's Jagungal map, sundry 1:100s, and since 1981, 1:25s. The old maps are good for showing long-gone routes and huts.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby shane73 » Wed 29 Oct, 2014 8:15 pm

icefest wrote:
shane73 wrote:Thanks for your help but I'm not spending any money on the Cascade. I simply use it now to collect the shopping during which the creaks etc can be tolerated for a short time.

I thought the creaky pack was the Torre, and that you had your Cascade for 15 years and were really happy with it.

You're correct icefest. The Cascade now creaks after being worn out and the Torre creaked when new. Then it swished, and then it creaked and so on.
shane73
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby shane73 » Wed 29 Oct, 2014 8:22 pm

Lophophaps wrote:Shane73, to veer even further off-topic (you need to understand that I'm a bushwalker and find concentrating quite hard) my main pack is a Lowe Triolet (sp?) bought in 1983. It has been on many trips summer and winter and refuses to fall apart. To get back on topic slightly, I've taken it over Jagungal summer and winter many times, including several approaches I wish I had avoided, including the dreaded scrubaslow energetica. Older gear was heavier but lasted a lot longer. Now I'm heavier and am not sure how long I will last. Maybe a patch will assist.

If you post specifics about your intended route then denizens here may well be able to comment. I checked the maps I had on early visits: SMA 1", Stuart Brookes' Round Mountain, Tim Lamble's Jagungal map, sundry 1:100s, and since 1981, 1:25s. The old maps are good for showing long-gone routes and huts.

Your pack sounds impressive. The Cascade's harness is literally disintegrating in various places, including the cloth pockets for the aluminium frame at the base of the pack. In addition to much walking in Australia I took it around the world a long time ago so it's had a tough life.

Thank you for your offer to help with routes but I've wandered over much of "Jagungal country" so know it well in places and I have my own off-track routes my wife and I enjoy. If we walk from Rnd Mtn to Thredbo we will need to organise a lift back. We still have the details of Bob's Taxi Service at Corryong so I might see if he's still operating. Lovely chap from memory.
shane73
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT