Beginners snow camping in Kosciuszko National Park

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Beginners snow camping in Kosciuszko National Park

Postby cphc » Thu 25 Sep, 2014 9:05 pm

Hey there,

Three friends and I, who love day hiking and do it every weekend in the Blue Mountains, are going down to Kosciuszko over the October long weekend.

We've never camped in snow before, but know we have the proper equipment (we have done so much research, bought adequate sleeping bags and tents and have been preparing for the trip) the only thing we need is snow shoes, which we are renting down there.

As we've never walked/camped in the snow before, I guess I just wanted to know how feasible doing an overnight walk is. We trying to decide which walk we are best off doing. We want to camp in the snow, and are getting a guide to help us out for a few hours before our first day to upskill us on snow safety.

We only have relatively basic nav skills (which we will get a bit of a refresher on the day before with a guide). Given the long snow season this year, I am a little cautious about our walk through the snow.

We want to do two days, definitely camp in the snow, summit Mt Kosci, weather permitting. We'll be staying at Thredbo the night before and after our two day walk, so were hoping we could do something of a circuit that will be able to be started relatively close to there.

Would really love to hear about other people's current experiences and firsthand accounts of what else we might be able to expect, and would love any suggestions you might have about good routes for (snow) beginners. Super excited to do our first adventure in the snowy mountains.

Thanks so much in advance.
Nat
cphc
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Beginners snow camping in Kosciuszko National Park

Postby icefest » Fri 26 Sep, 2014 1:54 pm

With good weather, you could easily walk to Seamans hut, and then walk back via Cootapatamba and the Rams Head range. Camping near the hut will allow you a bug out spot. There are no easily accessible toilets on the main range.

In bad weather you could easily walk off a cornice and die, try to avoid heading out if a blizzard is forecast.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby johnw » Fri 26 Sep, 2014 2:08 pm

icefest wrote:There are no easily accessible toilets on the main range...

I'm generally a summer visitor only so won't comment on the snow related aspects but what about the underground loos at Rawson Pass? Or are they closed/inaccessible during winter? Admittedly that's a bit of a hike from Cootapatamba anyway; Seamans might be easier via the road although you probably wouldn't want to be in a hurry...Otherwise dig deep (please).
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Fri 26 Sep, 2014 2:16 pm

johnw wrote:I'm generally a summer visitor only so won't comment on the snow related aspects but what about the underground loos at Rawson Pass? Or are they closed/inaccessible during winter? Admittedly that's a bit of a hike from Cootapatamba anyway; Seamans might be easier via the road although you probably wouldn't want to be in a hurry...Otherwise dig deep (please).

When I went up there in snow, I thought they'd dismantled it for winter; the entire complex is covered in snow up to the air vents.

You can either carry it out, or find a place away from tracks, rivers and lakes and dig all the way down to the bottom of the snow and then bury your poop in the soil. I'd suggest carrying the paper out though...
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cphc » Fri 26 Sep, 2014 2:26 pm

Thanks so much for the advice re: route. If the weather is bad, we will adjust our plans accordingly.

Thanks for the info about the toilets (or lack there of), we won't be polluting the Main Range - we'll definitely be following the appropriate toilet code... and either dig deep into soil, or carry it out.

So would you recommend the suggested route, or are there potentially others that may be a possibility?
cphc
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby cphc » Wed 01 Oct, 2014 3:43 pm

icefest wrote:With good weather, you could easily walk to Seamans hut, and then walk back via Cootapatamba and the Rams Head range. Camping near the hut will allow you a bug out spot.

Thanks icefest, we're heading off this weekend and can't wait. We are thinking we will do the walk you suggested, we were really keen to check out Rams Head anyway... would love to camp there if possible and the weather forecast seems okay so far for the weekend. Is there still a decent amount of snow on top of Ramshead at the moment? And could we potentially camp up there and get a sunset/sunrise view, weather permitting?
cphc
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby icefest » Wed 01 Oct, 2014 4:49 pm

Ramshead would be nice than Cootapatamba (it's not the nicest hut). Ramshead is over 2000m so there should be some snow, except in the more exposed northern ridges. You'll have a nice view. Make sure you pick a campsite away from the lakes.

I'll try to post a pic of the Townsend sunset tonight. Send me a PM if I forget.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rM788 » Wed 01 Oct, 2014 10:05 pm

I would love to see your Townsend sunset pictures Icefest, to give me an inspiration and idea, where shall i spend to get a nice shoot while i m there.... regards.
"A man hikes to discover himself"
rM788
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby icefest » Wed 01 Oct, 2014 11:01 pm

icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cphc » Thu 02 Oct, 2014 8:35 am

Wow!! Those photos are incredible @icefest! Thanks for sharing!

Are they from the top of Townsend? And how long ago did you take them?
cphc
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Thu 02 Oct, 2014 9:16 am

First one looks to be on top of Townsend, the second heading for the summit tower. The last is of Seamans Hut, which is just above the higher Snowy River crossing on the circuit track.

Never done Townsend in the snow. Covered all the rest of the Main Range from the Ramsheads to Dicky Coopers, but not that little section. Ah well, it's too late now.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby cphc » Thu 02 Oct, 2014 9:58 am

Awesome thanks guys. Out of interest north-north-west, what has been your favourite walk in the snow on the Main Range?
cphc
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby kanangra » Thu 02 Oct, 2014 12:19 pm

How good is that first shot!!!!!

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 02 Oct, 2014 12:42 pm

cphc wrote:Awesome thanks guys. Out of interest north-north-west, what has been your favourite walk in the snow on the Main Range?

The last one. I did four days end of September, starting at Guthega, heading up Disappointment Spur (all off track) to Gungartan, then dropped down past the old Orange hut site (all in rotten weather - hail, snow, strong winds, thick fog). Next day was all in fog, over the creek, up Dicky Coopers, through the Rolling Grounds (getting temporarily geographically embarrassed near Anderson) and up to Anton for the night. It cleared overnight so the next morning was cold as, but one of the most staggering sunrises ever. Up Twynam, over Carruthers, Northcote, etc, met a bunch of daytrippers on the Kosciuszko summit, then dropped down from just north of Rawson Pass, to follow Rawson Creek down to where it meets the Club Lake Creek - camped just above that. Next morning was even better than the previous one (did I mention the full moon?), so after a lot a stuffing around with the camera I kept going north, crossed the track just west of the Snowy, up over Hedley Tarn, had a very nervous toddle onto the middle of Blue Lake, then up Crummer Spur to Little Twynam and down to Illawong. Back to the car via the track and road. That trip had it all in terms of weather, but it was the best ever walk I've had up there, in any conditions.
Attachments
b14281c.jpg
b14374.jpg
b14449.jpg
b14580.jpg
b14606 copy.jpg
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby rM788 » Thu 02 Oct, 2014 7:46 pm

@icefest & north-north-face.... what a beautiful pictures.... thanks for sharing them with us.... hopefully the spring light be with me once i am there...regards
"A man hikes to discover himself"
rM788
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT