Hawaii

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Hawaii

Postby Speculator » Tue 19 Aug, 2008 7:19 pm

I'm off to Hawaii at the end of September. I was wondering if anyone's walked over there? I haven't looked into it much, but there's a lot of big mountains and other interesting looking natural features on the islands. Anyone know anything about walking tracks?

I'm not going over with the intention of walking (it's a honeymoon, and it wouldn't be worth my life to even suggest doing a lot of walking), but I'd like to spend at least one day doing a hike of some sort.

L8r.
---
Peak bagging points: 10. Peak bagging bagging points: 10000.
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Region: Tasmania

Re: Hawaii

Postby MountainMule » Mon 29 Sep, 2008 8:46 pm

I can recommend the Na Pali coast on the island of Kauai.
Absolutely spectacular eroded volcanic coastline with steep ridge-lines plunging down to a rugged surf. There's a track which runs through gorges and steep mountain sides out to deserted beaches and camps. By American standards it is primitive and is part of a national park.
Kauai gets 12ft of rainfall a year [ funny how you remember these factoids] and a lot of it falls in this part of the island. It is the first bit of landfall for the northeast trade winds blowing south from the Aleutian Islands.
If you google Na Pali you should find plenty of references.
Good luck, MountainMule.
MountainMule
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Speculator » Thu 02 Oct, 2008 6:34 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the info MM. Unfortunately I just missed it. I've just got back from Hawaii, and the answer is simply, yes. There are lots of tracks and trails through the brilliant mountains and rainforest on most of the islands. If I go back I'll be sure to check out some more info on the walks. Although I don't overly like walking in hot temperatures, especially with high humidity, which is often what it's like there.

When I was over there I did see a few books on the subject, and since getting back I noticed that there have been quite a few published (see here).

Maybe next time eh?
---
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Postby Natt » Fri 03 Oct, 2008 11:16 am

Any advice you can give on walks in Hawaii somewhere in the Jun-July time of the year

Hopefully heading there in 2010 :D
Natt
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Speculator » Fri 03 Oct, 2008 11:49 am

Natt wrote:Any advice you can give on walks in Hawaii somewhere in the Jun-July time of the year

Kewl, what island are you planning to stay on?

Anyway, my advice would be to check out some of the books in the link above.

L8r.
---
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Postby Natt » Fri 03 Oct, 2008 12:27 pm

Speculator wrote:
Natt wrote:Any advice you can give on walks in Hawaii somewhere in the Jun-July time of the year

Kewl, what island are you planning to stay on?

Anyway, my advice would be to check out some of the books in the link above.

L8r.

Funnily enough my plans are not that far along yet - other than a vague idea

we are doing the round the world thing - and its one of the stops on the way from what I can tell :)
Natt
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby alliecat » Fri 07 Nov, 2008 11:23 am

Late reply I know, but I just saw this topic...

If you make it to the "Big Island" (the actual island Hawaii where the volcanoes are) a trip to the Volcanoes National Park is highly recommended. The Kilauea caldera is stunning. Access depends on how active the volcano has been lately :) but when I was there many years ago you could walk across the whole caldera. It was a very surreal walk - like being on a different planet with steam vents and hot glassy rocks and the occasional roar of lava spewing from a distant vent. I saw a 4WD that had parked off the designated area and too close to some hot rocks had melted tyres... There are some great short walks around Kilauea including going through a lava tube.

Also on the big island I'm pretty sure there are walks around Kailua-Kona, which is a beautiful little place in its own right.

The island of Maui has the other big National Park in Hawaii, though there are definitely wilderness areas on Oahu as well.

Good luck with your trip - I have no doubt you'll love Hawaii.

Cheers,
Alliecat
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Speculator » Fri 07 Nov, 2008 11:34 am

alliecat wrote:Late reply I know, but I just saw this topic...

If you make it to the "Big Island" (the actual island Hawaii where the volcanoes are) a trip to the Volcanoes National Park is highly recommended. The Kilauea caldera is stunning. Access depends on how active the volcano has been lately :) but when I was there many years ago you could walk across the whole caldera. It was a very surreal walk - like being on a different planet with steam vents and hot glassy rocks and the occasional roar of lava spewing from a distant vent. I saw a 4WD that had parked off the designated area and too close to some hot rocks had melted tyres... There are some great short walks around Kilauea including going through a lava tube.

Also on the big island I'm pretty sure there are walks around Kailua-Kona, which is a beautiful little place in its own right.

The island of Maui has the other big National Park in Hawaii, though there are definitely wilderness areas on Oahu as well.

Good luck with your trip - I have no doubt you'll love Hawaii.

Cheers,
Alliecat

Thanks alliecat,

Wel, we've been and returned. Our trip to the Volcanoes National Park was the highlight for sure. We've got some fantastic pictures of exploding lava as it flows into the sea. Sadly, they don't let you walk around the Caldera much any more, I forget what the reason was. You're not even allowed to drive as close as you used to be.

L8r.
---
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Postby luke.870 » Tue 25 Nov, 2008 8:06 pm

That sounds great! I would love to walk in Hawaii as well. I was there a couple of times and it seams that there where pretty good walking tracks!
Some friend even thought of moving there and ask me to find out if there where some houses for sale on the Big Island. But it is easier to finde some on the interent than if you are there.
What do you think would you want to life there?
luke.870
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Speculator » Tue 25 Nov, 2008 9:21 pm

luke.870 wrote:What do you think would you want to life there?

The weather is great, but I think I'd rather stay on Aussie soil.

L8r.
---
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Postby johnw » Mon 07 Sep, 2015 6:01 pm

Speculator wrote:
alliecat wrote:Late reply I know, but I just saw this topic

Wel, we've been and returned. Our trip to the Volcanoes National Park was the highlight for sure. We've got some fantastic pictures of exploding lava as it flows into the sea. Sadly, they don't let you walk around the Caldera much any more, I forget what the reason was. You're not even allowed to drive as close as you used to be

Even later reply :lol:. The reason is noxious gases from what I read and printed from the U.S. NPS web site before leaving Oz on Friday night. Currently on South Maui Coast below Haleakala dormant volcano. It's a pretty laid back trip but hope to get up there for some day hiking during the week. Did a very short walk late today over coastal lava fields from the 1790 eruption. Will be leaving for 8 days on the Big Island later in the week and plan to visit Kilauea etc, and also Diamond Head in Honolulu before we return home. Any suggestions welcome, whether or not I'm able to follow up on them.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby kanangra » Mon 07 Sep, 2015 9:19 pm

A walk into the Capt Cook monument on the Big Is is worthwhile. Also the walk up Diamond Hd is worthwhile if touristy. But my favourite from Honolulu is the walk up to the top of the ridge that runs down the middle of the island. It is a really solid walk with great views. Once on top you can see the coast on the southern side of the island. It took me half a day to get up and back.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Turfa » Tue 08 Sep, 2015 12:15 pm

If you are going to the Big Island, check out the track up to the summit of Mauna Kea. It is a stunning walk through a spectacular volcanic landscape & the summit area is an otherworldy place with the huge astronomical observatories and an incredible view of the entire island. It is also quiet a challenging walk as you will likely start the day at sea level & can be at 4,200m by lunchtime. It is a about 12km from the start at the Mauna Kea Visitors centre to the summit and is pretty much uphill all the way.
Take warm gear too...I was there in the middle of summer & it was 2 degrees C on the summit (and windy).

Here is the info on the summit trail.

http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/vis/visi ... iking.html

It is actually a fairly serious trek..don't take the altitude & weather conditions lightly....but it is a fantastic walk !
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby johnw » Wed 09 Sep, 2015 5:06 pm

Thanks very much for the suggestions Kanangra and Turfa, I will definitely look into those. Limitations are around time available at each destination and the need to cater for my wife's interests as well as mine. Unfortunately hers don't include bushwalking. Although I have convinced her to join me to visit the crater/summit of Haleakala tomorrow on Maui for a few short walks. Volcanoes NP is on the agenda and we will have the most time available on the Big Island. Thanks for the heads up Turfa, fortunately I had researched the altitude and temperature diffs, so will be cautious. Brought thermals and the usual parapenalia for possible alpine conditions with us. It does seem ridiculous for a tropical paradise, but I've been on enough high places in Oz and elsewhere to be prepared for (just about) anything. But maybe not an erupting volcano :shock:.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to International