The Roof of Borneo

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

The Roof of Borneo

Postby Julafreak » Sat 16 Jan, 2010 7:58 pm

Just a week ago, did the (arguably) highest peak in southeast A. But this website http://mount-kinabalu-borneo.com/blog/mount-kinabalu-is-not-the-highest-mountain-in-south-east-asia.html/comment-page-1 says otherwise. Can anyone clarify? Anyway had a great time especially the coming down part using the world's highest "via ferrata"! (Italian for Iron Road)

Here's the link http://picasaweb.google.com/julianchanghw/BorneoMtKinabalu#
Yippee!
Julafreak
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: The Roof of Borneo

Postby Ent » Mon 18 Jan, 2010 9:42 am

Great photos Julafreak

No fear of heights I see. Knees getting weak for me would mean maybe a change of underwear :shock: You should now have some serious peak bagging points :D At 48 kilograms I have met my hero :lol:

Good to see you when back in the land of Tas.

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Julafreak » Tue 19 Jan, 2010 9:38 pm

Likewise brett, word on the street is that its going to be a fun filled year ahead for the strollers. =D Owh Yeaaa.. I just read up on the post explaining what peak bagging's all abt! =D What amused me is that these porters, they carry the pack with a strap that goes around their fore head and no hip belts. I wonder if pack manufacturers might be interested to find out how it impacts on pack comfortability..
Yippee!
Julafreak
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ent » Wed 20 Jan, 2010 10:35 am

Check out the thread on Mount Rogoona to see what two Strollers achieved, imagine what the full team can do :D

Now on pack design, um? Given my comments on pack harness comfort from one company I get the feeling that the porters might be onto something there :lol: You can never take it away from people that set the mind to do a job and bring home the food for the family. I am impressed and I do not impress easily.

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joel » Thu 21 Jan, 2010 6:21 pm

Hmm, Kinabalu is not the highest peak in South East Asia, but is often quoted as the highest "climber friendly" peak in SE Asia (aka, via ferrata). It is indeed the fifth highest at 4095m ASL.
Hkakabo Razi in Kachin is the highest peak in SE Asia at 5881m ASL.
I understand there are some arguments but I think the border definitions are pretty well understood.

Then there are the three peaks of Indonesia which are also higher as shown in the link you provided.

Seems pretty clear cut I would think ??
Joel
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Joel » Thu 21 Jan, 2010 6:37 pm

yeah - I hust did a bit of quick googling in case I got my figures wrong and it seems the only references quoting Kinabalu as the Highest peak are commercial opperators. Perhaps it's a bit more marketable?
Joel
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby John Carswell » Mon 29 Mar, 2010 8:05 pm

Carstensz Pyramid in Irian Jaya is the highest mountain in South East Asia at 4884m or 16,024 feet with small equatorial glaciers at the summit - much higher than Kinabalu - CP attracts Seven Summiteers and is considered the highest peak on the Australian continent - you could ague about the boundariesof South East Asia if irian Jaya is considered to be part of Australia.

i got to the summit ridge on CP at about 4,850m on an expedition in February this year and was turned back by poor weather conditions - I recommend the trip just for the bushwalk to base camp.

John Carswell
John Carswell
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Joel » Wed 31 Mar, 2010 6:45 pm

G'day John, what about Hkakabo Razi in Borneo? It is almost 1000 meters higher than Puncak Jaya (Carstensz Pyramids).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mo ... heast_Asia
Joel
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to International