Desktop version
Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.
Post a reply

Europe in mid May - ideas?

Sat 10 Mar, 2018 4:50 pm

I’ve got the opportunity to hike for between 4 days to a week in mid May - I’m looking for suggestions, I assume Alps and mountains will be out of the question as I don’t want to hike in snow - somewhere there are huts or other accommodation would be great so I don’t need to carry a tent etc from Australia, I have hiked in France and the Tour Mt Blanc - ideas for Eastern Europe particular appreciated- thanks in anticipation

Re: Europe in mid May - ideas?

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 12:07 pm

Maybe a few sections of the Lycian Way- unless Turkey is too far east.

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 1:35 am

You can still do some mountains in May, especially late May. There's the Vercors or the Chartreuse mountains in France which are quite low (2400 m and less), there will be the odd snowfield here and there in the shade though. However it's been a snowy winter, with 3-4 m of snow in some places.

Otherwise May is a great month to hike in Scotland or Ireland, but no huts. Corsica should have some multi day walks in May without snow as well I reckon, so would Sardinia or Sicily. Dunno about huts though.

Sun 18 Mar, 2018 8:05 pm

Sierra Nevada in Southern Spain will have good trekking options in Late May.

Mon 19 Mar, 2018 3:53 pm

Thanks for these suggestions - I have also thought of Crete - I assume it won't be too hot in late May.

Thu 22 Mar, 2018 12:39 am

YEah any Mediterranean island would be fine, Cyprus, Crete, Malta, Majorca, etc... or in the Atlantic like Madera, the Canary Islands, or the Azores.

Wed 28 Mar, 2018 11:54 am

Skop across to Corsica, you'll be able to do some of the lower sections of the GR20 then I reckon
Post a reply