Comments/advice appreciated

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Comments/advice appreciated

Postby uspn » Tue 23 Jun, 2009 9:06 am

Hi all,

A while ago I posted a photojournal from the Overland Track on this board, and I received many nice comments by e-mail from you guys.

Drawing on the experience I have gathered from doing the Overland and various other hikes all over the world, I've written an article with some pieces of advice regarding long distance hiking. I think it may be a useful read to some of the readers here, although I'm sure most of it is well-known information for many of you. If you still can spare the time to have a look at it and comment on further details you think I should include, I would be grateful for that.

Oh, and for the record: This is not for commercial publication, it's just me sharing my experiences with the world. #8D)

The article in its current state can be found here: http://bjornfree.blogspot.com/2009/06/o ... walks.html

Thank you!

Bjørn
uspn
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Re: Comments/advice appreciated

Postby johnw » Wed 15 Jul, 2009 1:39 pm

Hi Bjorn,
I meant to reply to your post earlier. Your article is very well written and entertaining, as well as informative. Thank you for sharing it. I can't help thinking that you may have some formal journalistic training. I agree with most of the advice that you give, but not necessarily everything. For example I do think, in general, that it's very important to carry detailed maps adequate for the trip, and know how to navigate using them rather than simply be able to follow a trail. However I'm aware that some walks require little else. I found it easy to relate to many of the situations that you describe, based on my own experience. Well done :).
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Comments/advice appreciated

Postby uspn » Wed 15 Jul, 2009 5:23 pm

Thank you, John!

I really don't want to come off as ignorant when it comes to the need of carrying good maps when it's called for, so I've adjusted the bit about maps to this now:

"Choose maps that cover your trip and not too much else. Maps have size and weight, too. Carry only exactly the maps you need, and make sure you know how to use them. In many areas a map is no good unless you also bring a compass. GPS devices are often useless on long walks, since there will be little or no electricity available along the way."

Of course, much more can be said about this, but the blog posting is not meant as a hiking encyclopedia, but is more like a list of tips to read through when planning a hike.

I've received several e-mails from people finding the article useful, so I think it's serving it's purpose. Thanks to you even more so now. #8D)

Bjørn, not a formally trained writer, but a writer nevertheless.
uspn
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Return to International