England

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

England

Postby rocketrm2 » Sat 18 Jul, 2015 5:30 pm

Have just returned from a month in England. Indulged in some hiking or often called "rambling" or just walking.
With my 9 yo son we did 7 day walks up to 12 kms in length. Two were hiking along sections of Hadrian's Wall in Northumblandshire. The others in the enchanting Lakes District.
Their style of walking is along frequently along 'public ways, bridal paths, etc where walkers have had the right of access for over 300 years.
Some of these trails are amazing as they weave their way thru forests, fields, and farms, passing thru quaint villages, past ancient pubs. The latter adds enjoyment to the walks, in the form of locals ales and food.
There are many extended walks like Cumbria Way, Pennine way, Coast to Coast. Rarely do walkers camp out overnight stops are usually, Bed n breakfasts, Hostels and Pubs.
From our experience seeing loads of walkers on the trails rambling is very popular. Each town and city we visited had many Outdoor gear shops.

Walkers are from all age groups it was amazing see so many 70 plus people out and about

As visitors hiking we were made very welcome.

Thinking of returning next year and maybe walking through rural Yorkshire following the Pennine way.( 3 week walk)
Have many photos, but it is beyond my knowledge on how to post them on this site.

If you like your walking, and a pint of local ale at the end of the day consider England.
rocketrm2
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: England

Postby vicrev » Sat 18 Jul, 2015 8:27 pm

Yes,it is certainly a different way of walking,compared to Oz,I suppose you could call it.. Comfort Walking...love it :D
vicrev
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: England

Postby MrWalker » Sun 19 Jul, 2015 8:06 am

It's the only sensible way to walk. You can get your 20kg suitcase taken between successive BnBs so you only need your daypack with you.

I can't understand why we don't have a series of BnBs at intervals along the OLT, without forcing us to be part of a guided tour to use them. :roll:
MrWalker

Region: Tasmania

Return to International