Turkey

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Turkey

Postby msrj » Sat 07 Mar, 2015 12:47 pm

Hi everyone,

I will be in Turkey for the best part of a month from late June/July. Does anyone have any trekking suggestions? I would like to do a trek that is 7-10 days duration.

Or is the idea of walking in the Turkish summer just ridiculous?
I did the GR70 in France last June at it was hot, but manageable with early starts.

Thanks in advance.

Msrj
msrj
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Turkey

Postby oyster_07 » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 6:54 am

Hi msrj,

It can get warm in Turkey, but not to the point to make walking 'ridiculous' in most parts of the country. Most resources about Turkish weather will be aimed at a European reader with a differing definition of weather to the Australian. That said, it will always be warmer the further south you are, and the further from the cooling breezes of the coast.

The Lycian Way http://cultureroutesinturkey.com/the-lycian-way/ and St Paul's Way http://cultureroutesinturkey.com/st-paul-trail/ are two (almost) linked and marked tracks. They are not difficult and are quite scenic. Although your 5-10 days does not leave enough time to complete either, you could certainly walk parts.

Otherwise, head to either the Kaçkar or Aladagar Mountains in the northeast or south central respectively. Both will be much cooler and of green pastures.

Go ahead and Google these, and if you have questions, I'll be happy to help out further.
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby nickthetasmaniac » Fri 13 Mar, 2015 10:53 am

msrj wrote:Hi everyone,

I will be in Turkey for the best part of a month from late June/July. Does anyone have any trekking suggestions? I would like to do a trek that is 7-10 days duration.

Or is the idea of walking in the Turkish summer just ridiculous?
I did the GR70 in France last June at it was hot, but manageable with early starts.

Thanks in advance.

Msrj

I'd highly recommend Cappadocia. Although it probably won't keep you entertained for 7-10 days, it's still an amazing place to get lost for a little while.

I've also done the majority of the Lycian Way, and while I wouldn't recommend the whole thing (there's a lot of road walking) there's definitely a few sections that were fantastic.

I was there early June and it was *&%$#! hot down south, but still doable. As you say, early starts...
Rondanestien (Nor), Southern Ranges (Tas), Western Arthurs (Tas)

http://peopleandotherstrangecreatures.wordpress.com/
nickthetasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby cajun » Fri 13 Mar, 2015 11:15 am

I'd highly recommend Cappadocia

Second that. Amazing landscapes and history.

We were in Turkey in 2013 for the Dawn Service and did a 3 week tour. I would (and in fact will) visit again in a heartbeat.
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
cajun
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 26 Mar, 2015 11:16 pm

Mt Ararat is a serious 5000 M+ peak and is not to be sneezed at. I have never been to Turkey but it is on my list , big time. Of late I always do a spot of trekking to mix up the mainstream touristy postcard sight seeing when I go abroad.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Fri 27 Mar, 2015 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby oyster_07 » Fri 27 Mar, 2015 7:01 am

Scaled Ararat in 2006. It's an alpine climb, not a walk.
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to International