Desktop version
Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.
Post a reply

Re: Would you travel to Iran?

Thu 16 Apr, 2015 9:04 pm

Mesopotamia is widely regarded as the cradle of civilization, so why are they so far behind now, particularly regarding the treatment of women?This is not a rhetorical question, it is a test question and will count for 50% towards your final assessment. :P

BTW- my wife will be marking, I told her to, and I will copy and submit that.
Hows that for messed up!
Fits in well.

Fri 17 Apr, 2015 6:28 am

geoskid wrote:Mesopotamia is widely regarded as the cradle of civilization, so why are they so far behind now

Mesopotamia is a geographical location and not a culture or group of people. That's like asking why doesn't the person living in Bach's house compose fantastic

I don't think it's a clear straw man fallacy, but that's probably the closest.

Of course it's possible that I'm just misconstruing what you are trying to say, if that's the case, can you further clear your point for me?

Fri 17 Apr, 2015 12:27 pm

Nothing lasts for ever. In another 1000 years, Australia may be in the backwaters, if the human species is still around then.

Fri 17 Apr, 2015 11:39 pm

Under the Abbott Govt. Ozstriya is heading for backwater status rapidly.

Wed 22 Apr, 2015 6:43 pm

icefest wrote:
geoskid wrote:Mesopotamia is widely regarded as the cradle of civilization, so why are they so far behind now

Mesopotamia is a geographical location and not a culture or group of people. That's like asking why doesn't the person living in Bach's house compose fantastic

I don't think it's a clear straw man fallacy, but that's probably the closest.

Of course it's possible that I'm just misconstruing what you are trying to say, if that's the case, can you further clear your point for me?

Yes, you are right Icefest.
Where civilization started has no bearing on Human Rights adherence in the region now.
Lots has happened in the interim.
Thanks

Thu 23 Apr, 2015 6:41 pm

Had more time to think about this,
Whilst a lot has happened in the interim, there is a lot that has not happened in the interim, particularly with regards to morality.
That region, (and many others) still work on a contrived objective morality (from a book), rather than arriving at morality through ethical reasoning.

Thu 23 Apr, 2015 9:11 pm

The Abbott Govt. is bereft of morality so mend your fences at home before throwing stones at people in other regions from the safety of your glasshouse.
The average Irani or Uzbeki does not agree with the nut bar totalitarian dictators who are in charge of their respective countries.

Fri 24 Apr, 2015 9:39 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:The Abbott Govt. is bereft of morality so mend your fences at home before throwing stones at people in other regions from the safety of your glasshouse.
The average Irani or Uzbeki does not agree with the nut bar totalitarian dictators who are in charge of their respective countries.
???????? Thought this was a Bushwalking Forum !!!!!!......... :?

Fri 24 Apr, 2015 3:11 pm

It is a bush walking forum. I shall stick to trekking. Uzb. , Iran and Ozstriya all have very good trekking options. The people in each country are generally good but their govt.s are not so good.

Sat 25 Apr, 2015 8:39 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:It is a bush walking forum. I shall stick to trekking. Uzb. , Iran and Ozstriya all have very good trekking options. The people in each country are generally good but their govt.s are not so good.

We are agreed then, this is a bushwalking forum.

Personally, I like to chew gum while I walk, and sometimes I like to just sit down and chew gum.
You guys keep going, I'm going to sit for a while.

Sun 26 Apr, 2015 11:37 am

paidal, the "convict stain" is why you came to "Ozstriya" and stayed. Could you please restrain yourself from derogatory comments towards anyone including the country that you live in. Intelligent political criticism is important, offered thoughtfully and in the right forum, but your commentary seeks to offend. Stay on topic please.

Iran is definitely on my travel wishlist. I have a relative who worked in the oil industry there, 6 months on, 6 months off, and he absolutely loves the place. Iranians are extremely welcoming people, and urban Iranians are quite liberal and well educated. It's a fascinating country, trapped as they are in an oppressive state.

Sun 26 Apr, 2015 1:14 pm

My take is that, conservatism has held back progress in the region. As such, we should all try to move to UL technologies to lift bushwalking out of the 20th century. ;)

Wed 09 Sep, 2015 9:59 pm

Just wondering,did any of the people on this thread who had the hots to go to Iran, end up going ?...... :)

Thu 10 Sep, 2015 7:34 pm

I am an India and Asia buff. Central Asia , India and Pakistan and to some degree Bangladesh have been influenced by all things Persian. I went to investigate the source . I also enjoy Islamic art and architecture and Iran has some fine examples.

Sun 13 Sep, 2015 4:58 pm

Seems like nobody did... :)

Mon 02 Nov, 2015 11:26 pm

iran issue is purely political. i dont think iranians are hostile and i dont think any westerners should worry

Tue 03 Nov, 2015 12:13 pm

Most Iraanis and Uzbekis are a squillion times more hospitable than the average Ozzie. I was overwhelmed by their welcoming ways. People in both Countries took me into their care in many ways such as a Lunch at their home, a lift where I wanted to go on a motorbike, no charge, that is how they roll.
It is pity about some of the people in Oz too.

Sun 01 Jan, 2017 6:40 pm

I would go back to Iran and Uzb. again but my next stop for exotic trekking is Morocco. The highest peak in Northern Africa is a non technical trekking peak no higher than 4200 M.
There are UK based tour/hiking packages that can take you up there with a guide and mules for carrying your stuff as well as a cook. Plus they add on some free time in Marrakesh. Flights depart for Marrakesh from Gatwick airport in the U.K. Turkey would be super in every regard, I would like to visit, but too much bad news is coming from Turkey these days.
Iran, Uzb. and Morocco all tick the cheap, cheerful , interesting , exotic and relatively safe boxes.
Has anyone been to Tajikistan for trekking ?

Sun 01 Jan, 2017 11:10 pm

Can be misleading to paint a country and its people as 'hospitable' or otherwise based on behavior towards transient, clueless, wealthy tourists.

Most half-decent people, regardless of country or culture, are nice to tourists. We're very obviously not threatening, and usually have a degree of insulation/separation from being associated with any local political issues. Many a travel-blogger these days goes to Developing Country X, wanders around leaking money with a sign round their neck saying "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING", and then concludes that Country X has THE most hospitable culture - simply because people reacted the way anyone decent would towards a little lost puppy.

I've done it. I had coffee with a bunch of guys at 2am after getting lost in the backstreets of Fez, and then offered to give me a lift to my hotel. "How hospitable!" I thought. Wasn't till a week later that I told a Brit expat, who explained to me those guys were almost certainly very worried about my dumb a$$ getting robbed (OR scoping me out to rob me themselves). I have another mate who has a great story about accidentally riding a hired tuktuk into communist rebel territory in India - and getting a free lunch and a photo with an RPG.

Wasn't until I started living abroad as an expat myself that I started to see how hospitable (or otherwise) people really are, once they start to see you as a semi-permanent addition to their community.

I have an Iranian friend - he broke my shoulder in the politest of ways. We got on quite well, and he was a very laid back, approachable and helpful guy. I still stay in touch. He recommends Iran as a travel destination... but won't live there himself.

Mon 02 Jan, 2017 3:24 pm

Iran is not a free country but as a place to visit, it is superb. I speak , read and write some Farsi and I understand many of their customs because the old customs in Pakistani controlled Punjab ( dems my people ! ) are influenced by Dari /Persian speaking people , over centuries of invasions from Central Asia.I have Iraani friends and they are naturally polite, welcoming , urbane and cultured people.

Sun 18 Mar, 2018 11:10 am

Look up 'ed march iran' on youtube.

I would go tomorrow.

Sun 18 Mar, 2018 2:21 pm

threshold wrote:Look up 'ed march iran' on youtube.
I would go tomorrow.

Thanks for the recommendation! Nice insight and concur with what I have heard from friends and colleagues who have been there. Again proof of how Iran has been demonised for decades, all because it went against the interests of the US of A. So much for that 'Axis of Evil' label.

Sun 18 Mar, 2018 8:03 pm

Ignore the USA led mainstream media and insular fear mongers. Visit Iran. Visit Uzbekistan. Then tell me what you think .
Post a reply