Nepal. Human remains may be missing WA man

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Nepal. Human remains may be missing WA man

Postby Overlandman » Mon 12 May, 2014 6:32 pm

From the Mercury

http://www.themercury.com.au/human-rema ... 6914951880

HUMAN remains found in the Nepalese mountains are suspected of being that of a 23-year-old WA man who has been missing for six months.

Matt Allpress has been missing in the Annapurna region since November after he failed to arrive in Sydney following a solo 10-day trek in Nepal.

A Facebook page set-up by Mr Allpress' family and friends said today that two local Nepalese people foraging in the mountains above Sikles, about one hour off the main track, found human remains on Saturday.

The next day, authorities went to the site and reported finding personal equipment belonging to Mr Allpress, the page said.

Police remained at the site today, gathering information but the remains have yet to be formally identified.
The Facebook page said Mr Allpress' mother was in Nepal and his father would arrive later on Monday.

“Matt's family and close friends ask for respect at this difficult time,” the Find Matt page read.

A Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade spokeswoman said Australian officials in Canberra and Kathmandu were continuing to provide consular assistance to the Allpress family.
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Nepal. Human remains may be missing WA man

Postby icefest » Wed 25 Jun, 2014 6:17 pm

Preliminary autopsy confirms the body to have been Matt's.

http://findmatt.com.au/news/

Sadly, I doubt we'll ever find out what went wrong, but I hope that the Allpress Family will get at least some answers.

My condolences to all that knew Matt.

-icefest
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to International