East Europe

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

East Europe

Postby bushwalker zane » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 9:45 am

Hello everyone!

I'm heading over to Eastern Europe this winter for 3 moths, starting in Slovenia and heading down the Balkans towards Turkey. I'll be doing a lot of family related things in Slovenia as well as hiking in the first month (going there with my dad and brother). Dad and bro will go home after a month, so I have some time for myself! I would love any info on waking in the other countries in that neck of the woods (Bosnia, Serbia, Turkey etc). I have had a look in the web, but the results are few and far between, so I was hoping some of you lot may have been and could offer up some ideas as to where I should go!

P.S I travel with very open plans, so fire away with anything! :D

Thanks,
Zane.
bushwalker zane
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: East Europe

Postby nickthetasmaniac » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 8:09 pm

I've been eyeing off this area for hiking since visiting last year - looks awesome!

I don't really have much info to give about the Balkans though sorry, I think Cicerone has some good guide books for a few areas.

Turkey - check out Cappadocia, really unique area - http://peopleandotherstrangecreatures.w ... appadocia/

I also did most of the Lycian Way in the south of Turkey and frankly I wouldn't recommend it. There's some great sections but there's also a whole lot of pretty meh bits.

There's also some pretty epic mountains in Turkey but I don't know too much about them...
Rondanestien (Nor), Southern Ranges (Tas), Western Arthurs (Tas)

http://peopleandotherstrangecreatures.wordpress.com/
nickthetasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hallu » Sat 22 Feb, 2014 11:14 am

Croatia and Montenegro are opening up to tourism, I'd try those two countries before trying Bosnia, which has the reputation for being less friendly. But for mountain walking you can't beat Romania and Bulgaria in that region. I'd try having a look at the Cicerone walking guides in those countries first.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby frenchy_84 » Sat 22 Feb, 2014 11:27 am

Bled in Slovenia is awesome, nicest little town in Europe. I was there with my GF so didn't do any of the proper walking trails but did go canyoning and sight seeing. Check out these guys for tourist outings http://www.3glav-adventures.com/
and check out this website for walking write ups of the area http://www.gang-gang.net/nomad/balkans/balkans12a.html. their trip report of the Julian alps covers pretty much everything the 3glav guys do in the emerald river adventure.
frenchy_84
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby AlanShortyD » Tue 06 May, 2014 8:52 am

Probably you've organised it all already. But anyway, maybe for others, here are some thoughts from my experience:

-Made several trips to bosnia. There is superb walking. Close to Sarajevo (a must see in itself) - Bjelasnica NP. Further away - Sutjeska NP. Check out a place called Diva Grabovica. You need a car. You also should get 'Forgotten Beauty' -- ironically I've forgotten the author but you can buy it from Buybook website. Outstanding info in there. If no car, and even if you want to do something independently, hook up with a company called Green Visions who can organise or advise.

-Slovenia is lovely, full of easy strolls and impressive scenery. Lake Bohinj is a good place to base. But also lots of tourists -- but you will enjoy.

- Montenegro - some great peaks, access is more time-consuming.

- Bulgaria - have only walked around the Pirin mountains and wasn't too impressed. But it was wrong season.

Finally, if you are in eastern turkey - go over to Georgia. Now there is adventure!
AlanShortyD
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby bushwalker zane » Tue 13 May, 2014 4:55 pm

Well, the aim is to do the St Paul Trail! 500km through the Turkish highlands; scattered with lakes and small farm villages.
bushwalker zane
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to International