Euro Alps - full traverse

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Euro Alps - full traverse

Postby nickthetasmaniac » Fri 14 Feb, 2014 12:20 pm

I was wondering if anyone had done, or has heard of anyone doing, a full traverse of the European Alps? Something along the lines of Nice - Wiener Neustadt (Austria).

I've been able to find lots of info on the GR5 (French traverse) but nothing on a full traverse...

Cheers, Nick
Rondanestien (Nor), Southern Ranges (Tas), Western Arthurs (Tas)

http://peopleandotherstrangecreatures.wordpress.com/
nickthetasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Euro Alps - full traverse

Postby whynotwalk » Fri 14 Feb, 2014 1:54 pm

Hi Nick - while it won't give you the kind of info you're after, there's plenty of inspiration to be had from Nicholas Crane's book "Clear Waters Rising: A Mountain Walk Across Europe". He took 17 months to get from the west of Spain to Istanbul via all the major mountain ranges of Europe, incl. the Alps.

Sounds like an great plan you're hatching. We had just a few weeks in the Alps last (northern) summer. Despite the high population density in its vicinity, it is a remarkable and inspiring place. Good luck with the plans - and we look forward to seeing/hearing what you end up doing,

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby nickthetasmaniac » Fri 14 Feb, 2014 4:38 pm

whynotwalk wrote:Hi Nick - while it won't give you the kind of info you're after, there's plenty of inspiration to be had from Nicholas Crane's book "Clear Waters Rising: A Mountain Walk Across Europe". He took 17 months to get from the west of Spain to Istanbul via all the major mountain ranges of Europe, incl. the Alps.

Sounds like an great plan you're hatching. We had just a few weeks in the Alps last (northern) summer. Despite the high population density in its vicinity, it is a remarkable and inspiring place. Good luck with the plans - and we look forward to seeing/hearing what you end up doing,

cheers

Peter

Thanks for the suggestion!

Funnily enough, that is actually what I'm beginning to consider as a (very) long term plan. I've already done the Camino Frances and Pyrenees Haute Route, so that's the Iberian Peninsular sorted (although I guess I should probably go back and do the Catabrian Mountains I wanted to call it a 'mountain' traverse..). Over the last 12 months I've also been eyeing off the Central and Balkan alps, which would cover the harder bits of a full Euro traverse...

So now I just need to convince the girlfriend to fund my 'research trips'...

nickthetasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 9:55 am

Without detailed knowledge I would assume it it GR5 to around Chamonix and then Via Alpina heading East. How far you get is really dependent on how fast you walk and the time between passes opening and closing.

PS. Don't start at Nice on the GR5. Start at Menton on the Italian French border along the GR52 which joins the GR5 at St-Dalmas-Valdeblore after a few days. Absolutely a 10,000% better start or end of the GR5.

You will find the Alps quite different to the Pyrenees.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby nickthetasmaniac » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 7:59 pm

Mark F wrote:PS. Don't start at Nice on the GR5. Start at Menton on the Italian French border along the GR52 which joins the GR5 at St-Dalmas-Valdeblore after a few days. Absolutely a 10,000% better start or end of the GR5.

You will find the Alps quite different to the Pyrenees.

I've heard that about the GR5, thanks for the suggestion :)

I've also heard that they are very different to the Pyrenees, although my experience of the Alps is limited to a few days in North Tirol...

nickthetasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby russ752 » Sat 01 Mar, 2014 7:20 am

Nick, Lots of good information here from someone who hiked the Via Alpine in 2012
http://www.davebyrnes.com.au/Via%20Alpina/ViaAlpina.htm
russ752
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby nickthetasmaniac » Mon 03 Mar, 2014 9:18 am

Thanks Russ

nickthetasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to International