Khumbu (Everest) region in winter

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Khumbu (Everest) region in winter

Postby zakbaillie » Wed 18 Sep, 2013 6:26 pm

Hey all, myself and a few companions are currently planning on attempting the three passes hike in late January next year. If all goes to plan we will start at Jiri and make our way to Chhukung over Khongma La, then Cho La then finally out of Gokyo over Renjo La. Now I've read quite a few blog posts which talk about the fact that winter can be a really great time to trek, clear skies, low amounts of tourist etc etc. Although it will be COLD! Soo I was wondering if anyone on here has been in that part of the world at a similar time and can brief me on what kinda of gear we'll need. Ive trekked to Gokyo before so i am somewhat familiar with the region and I thought this might be a really cool introduction to some winter walking. Anyway any info would be great!
Thanks a lot,
Zak
zakbaillie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Khumbu (Everest) region in winter

Postby sef » Tue 24 Sep, 2013 7:20 am

I've only hiked there in summer, but have been elsewhere in the Himalaya through winter -- hope this helps some...

It's cold (which you know), on the EBC highway you shouldn't have problems finding teahouses open. Be sure to ask whether anyone is up in some of the less trafficked high developments (on the way up Cho La and on the other side of Rhenjo La come to mind), if there are a few of you they might open them anyway. Ask many people and ask often. You'll probably get told it's impassable and terrible and nobody's gone over for months, adjust that around where you fit against the general standard of trekker up there and make a decision.

My guess would be if you beat the snows, you'll be fine, otherwise you'll be limited where they push yaks i.e. the Gokyo and EBC/Chhukung valleys. Khongma La may need an ice axe, it's steep and a little exposed. There are some small crevasses on Cho La that may get covered, so be wary. My weak suspicion is that you *should* be okay through January.

You can always buy most gear in Kathmandu or even Namche, if it were me I'd go thermals/shirt/shorts/windpants/buff for hiking in the day (don't underestimate how badly the cold air will cut up your lungs), a synthetic warm jacket, beanie cut to the ears and a big puffy down jacket for use as needed. Your sleeping bag will need to have a lot of minuses on it. Water's going to be an issue up high (everything freezes), so bring a Nalgene or something similar that can take boiling water. Bivvying or camping is downright miserable.

Have fun mate!
sef
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby ninjapuppet » Tue 24 Sep, 2013 8:36 am

I was there for just over 3 weeks late dec/ early January this year and had blue sunny skies every day!
The nights were very cold so I found myself sitting in huts burning yak *&%$#! or in my sleeping bag by 6 pm most nights.

My friend went the year beforehand late jan and also attempted the 3 passes but had to abandon the cho la pass after a 3 day snow storm hit. He went to pokhara and the weather was fine there.
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby zakbaillie » Sat 12 Oct, 2013 7:57 pm

Ahh great thanks guys!
Yeah it really seems to depend on your luck and the type of weather you get
I've got a good down jacket and sleeping bag, but yeah thanks for all that. I think it will be a very much 'play it by ear' sort of trek.
I'm a little apprehensive about the crevasses over Cho La but i also figure that the amount of people that cross this pass shouldnt make it too bad, just depends on the amount of snow that we get - hopefully not much!
zakbaillie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Return to International