Tassie Link, and buses to Scott's Peak

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Tassie Link, and buses to Scott's Peak

Postby Chas Savage » Tue 05 Aug, 2008 11:09 am

Hi there

I wonder if anyone can help. I'm trying to organise a trip into the Eastern Arthurs (Scott' Peak return) over Christmas, far away from maddening crowds. My idea is perfect I think, but the reality is seemingly all bad. Tassie Link told me today, 5 August, that they were thinking of dropping the regular bus service from Hobart to Scott's Peak and would perhaps run charters only.

Are there other ways (walk, I think maybe not, or hitchhike) to get to Scott's Peak?

We're a very small party so cost becomes, alas, an issue.

Thanks for your time.
Chas
Chas Savage
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Tassie Link, and buses to Scott's Peak

Postby whiskeylover » Tue 05 Aug, 2008 11:27 am

Try Evans Coaches from Geeveston, for a small group they will also do 4wd or car rather than bus, more comfortable on windy roads!. We used them from Cockle Creek to the airport and they were very reasonable - price shared between three people. They do also do Scotts Peak but I think you need to pay in advance and be very clear about your arrangements and walk out time so they are not left waiting around for you. Enjoy.
medicinal purposes only of course
whiskeylover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby relax » Mon 11 Aug, 2008 12:04 am

Try calling Peter & Sue Ontatzis from Hamlet Downs.
They may require you to use their accommadation but that may be handy anyway.
WEB; http://www.users.bigpond.com/hamletdowns
relax
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Chas Savage » Tue 12 Aug, 2008 11:39 am

Thank you, I appreciate your help. I'll definitely follow this up.

The (in)decision of Tassielink makes it difficult to get into the country. Controls numbers though!
Chas Savage
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Tasres » Tue 21 Oct, 2008 5:39 pm

Dear Chas,

I am sure you have already made your plans by now, but if still in difficulty, there are Tourist Bureaus in Tasmania who should be able to assist you. I know Tassielink have cancelled their Scotts Peak service, effectively stopping the South Coast round trip. Robert Evans will certainly help and there are others we know of who could possibly also help, but they will all be on a charter basis. If you need help with this or anything else in Tasmania, it may be worth trying a Tourist Bureau.

(This post has been edited by admin)
Tasres
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Postby chapman » Tue 11 Nov, 2008 6:34 pm

Dear all

Yes tassielink has indeed cancelled the Scotts Peak service and are reducing some services elsewhere as well which in future years might indicate eventual closure of other handy bus services. I have been checking alternatives and its too late for anyone to run a scheduled service this summer (permission is needed to run a bus service and the red tape takes time). Hence its charters only with someone licensed to run charters - there are quite a few of those and I have contacted a few to see what is on offer.

The best bet for this summer seems to be Evans Coaches who are based at Geeveston, tel 03 - 6297 1335. Robert and Louise operate the family business and they also run a scheduled bus service to Cockle Creek so they are used to walkers. They will take charters for a minimum of two people for $75 each into or out of Scotts Peak to Hobart. They are also willing to combine groups so solo walkers can join with another group (might require some changes to your itinerary though). Note - dont try their website or email as it seems someone else is using it - the telephone gets them immediately.

All other alternatives I could find were dearer per person and also generally wanted 4 or more to be viable. The same notes have already been added to the update pages on my website for the south west tassie guide as well.

Hope this helps everyone who wants to get into or out from Scotts peak and Mt Anne this summer.
Regards
John Chapman
chapman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania