Was there a hut near Blue Peaks?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Was there a hut near Blue Peaks?

Postby heplittledoggie » Thu 24 Jul, 2008 11:46 pm

G'day,

My first post here. Thanks to the site admin for a great forum - I've been reading with interest for a few months now.

I am just wondering if anyone is aware of a hut that used to exist (probably quite some years ago) in the Blue Peaks area? I came across some burnt out ruins a few years ago (planks of wood, molten glass) and didn't really give it a second thought (I thought it would have been documented), until I couldn't find any info about it.

I have heard of people putting up makeshift shelters in the area, so I guess it may have been something along those lines?

Thought it was worth asking anyway!

Cheers.
heplittledoggie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Was there a hut near Blue Peaks?

Postby Pompom » Fri 25 Jul, 2008 10:12 am

I believe that there used to be a shelter of sorts in the upper reaches of the Fisher River near to where the route between Blue Peaks and The Chudleigh Lakes cross. I was told that it was a very low affair more like dog kennels. I think there is something still there but the Mole Creek lads would know ,if there are any on this forum. I will hazard a guess and say that it is in the vicinty of........ Map Mersey 501801.
I hope someone else can shed more [accurate] light on this.
Bob Cooper
Pompom

Postby whiskeylover » Fri 25 Jul, 2008 1:23 pm

According to a couple of locals there is evidence that there may have been some sort of fisherman's shelter (hut). Yes, there is only ruins left, i.e. not much. I will check with someone else as I did have another trout hunter tell me there is something there (hidden) - however I will PM you if I find out anything as I would think it's another one of those rather not publish the details type of places. I have camped there before and never came across it.
medicinal purposes only of course
whiskeylover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby heplittledoggie » Sat 26 Jul, 2008 1:00 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm thinking south of 501801, however from what you've said there may have been several informal shelters there over the years. Let's face it, it's not a bad get-away-from-it-all kind of spot!
heplittledoggie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby whiskeylover » Sat 26 Jul, 2008 5:41 pm

I have picked the brains of another source today, while we were sitting in Whiteleys Hut in the snow having lunch. He says that the dog kennel size hut is pretty grotty and he's not fussy but he wouldn't bother trying to use it as a shelter - it is situated to the West of Blue Peaks in the pencil pines on your way to Frozen Lagoon. The other hut near the head of the Fisher River he has not been to, but said it could be seen from a hill East of Little Throne because someone has put a blue tarp over it (i.e.it must be a bit leaky). I think you're right about the 'lots of shelters' on the plateau, especially in the more accessible areas as many people like to head up there regularly to get away from it all. If we rave on too much about how good it is we won't be getting away from anything soon!
medicinal purposes only of course
whiskeylover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby heplittledoggie » Sat 26 Jul, 2008 7:15 pm

Cheers whiskeylover. You're right, let's rave no more :) My curiosity has been satisfied (for the moment anyway!)
heplittledoggie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania