Mt Field skiing

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Field skiing

Postby aphillips » Fri 04 Jul, 2008 9:38 am

I know it's a bit early in the season, but we're rather frustrated skiers (having been "tied up" with kids in the last few seasons) and have been thinking of trying to leave the kids with Nana this weekend and get up to Mt Field for a bit of a cross-country play. Has anyone been up to the ski-field/Tarn Shelf area in the last few days? If so, what are the snow conditions like? (Can't tell from the webcam this morning - strangely enough it's frosted over!)

cheers, Alison.
aphillips
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt Field skiing

Postby aphillips » Tue 08 Jul, 2008 9:21 am

Well, it was good! Good snow all the way down to Lake Dobson, and good enough out towards the Tarn Shelf. It wasn't perfect - fairly patchy most of the way from the Ski Village, but better than anything I've seen up there for some years. And the last time I've known anyone to ski across any of the tarns was '95 I think. We didn't actually make it that far (due to babysitting restrictions) but we met a bloke who'd spent the night at Lake Newdegate and he had skiied across a couple (and that's with a backpack on). And the weather was absolutely beautiful.

Alison :D
aphillips
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Mt Field skiing

Postby tastrax » Wed 09 Jul, 2008 5:56 pm

I would keep the wax handy - looks like the weather on Firday might just top up the cover at Mt Field!

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDT13100.html
http://www.snowrental.net/skiing/austra ... ebcam.html
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Return to Tasmania