Good 3 day (2 night) walks in winter

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Good 3 day (2 night) walks in winter

Postby yourny » Mon 23 Jun, 2008 11:47 pm

Hi Everyone,
Firstly I would like to say what a wonderful site this is, I have only recently found it but have already gained a lot of helpful information.

Anyway, I’m heading to Tassie for the first two weeks of July with two others, who have medium experience but are fit and have all necessary gear. I know it seems like a very general question, but I was wondering what would be some good 3 day (or 4), 2 night, loop walks. Loop because we will have the car, and plan to park it and (hopefully) end back up were its parked. I was considering 3 days due to some time constraints, but also due to weather and a hope to maybe be able to do 2 or more such walks in differing parts of the state.

While the group is fit and reasonably experienced, we would also like to stop, enjoy the scenery and obviously reach camp before dark, which at this time of the year would limit the distance of walking each day. That said, not afraid of some step climbs or descents. Also, have good equipment, but ideally wouldn’t want to spend all 4 days in the snow buffeted by blizzards.

Obviously have been drooling over some of the more well know parts of the state (Freycinet, Cradle,….), but would also like something a but more off the beaten track (quite) that is still well marked, or maybe introduced to an area I have not considered. Would love a rainforest walk, bit of tall Euc. country, ocean, hills, even a bit of history (old mines, settlements)…?? Have been pretty keen on Arthur River and Corinna (Can you still get there with western explorer road closed?), also Cockle Creek, Mole Creek or Coles bay as starting points, But open to any suggestion…

Anyway I have rambled on too much and probably ask many questions that are already answered in other threads, bur any help, local knowledge and tips would be greatly appreciated. I’m really looking forward to the trip and would love to make the most out of it!

Thanks again for a great site!! :D

Yourny
yourny
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Good 3 day (2 night) walks in winter

Postby alex » Tue 24 Jun, 2008 5:07 pm

Thought about the Arm River Track into Pelion hut?
3-4 hours walk in so easily doable in winter even if starting around lunchtime after the drive in there.
numerous day walks in the area, such as
-pelion east/ossa (depending on snow/ice conditions and the weather.
-Oakleigh, again-weather dependant
-Check out the old hut etc.
Itinerary might be:
Day 1: Drive to track and walk in
Day 2: Day walk up to Pelion Gap and maybe Pelion East/ Ossa
Day 3: Climb Oakleigh in morning and walk out or walk out and climb Pillinger as a sidetrip.
should be easily doable if you are reasonably experienced but obviously is weather dependent.
track up Oakleigh will be very muddy this time of year but it's well worth the trip up if you get a view.
Track is well marked and easy to follow and there is a hut to stay in which shouldn't be crowded with tourists at that time of year. If the weather does really crack up, the hut has a good view to Mt. Oakleigh if you end up hut bound for the day.
just a suggestion
alex
alex
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Tue 24 Jun, 2008 7:08 pm

Another good 3 day walk would be at Cradle
Day 1 Dove Lake Car park to Scott Kilvert Hut via Hanson's Peak .
Day 2 SKH to Waterfall Valley Hut via Rodway Track and Overland Track,Barn Bluff ??
Day 3 WVH to Dove Lake C/park via Overland Track and Cradle Mt ??
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby tasadam » Tue 24 Jun, 2008 8:51 pm

If you take up Alex's suggestion, and the weather is fine when you get the chance, I highly recommend a trip up Pillinger - you can look upon the whole reserve with all its mountains. I had great fun sitting up there naming as many as I could, I surprised myself.

It's not that challenging a peak, and very rewarding if the weather allows you a view.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Nick S » Thu 26 Jun, 2008 7:53 pm

Another option is walking into Pine Valley from Lake St Claire
Day 1 Catch the ferry from Cynthia Bay or walk the lakeside track to Narcissus
Day 2 Walk into Pine Valley, and from here do either Mt Acropolis or the Labyrinth, return to Pine Valley
Day 3 Walk up whatever wasn't achieved on Day 2 (Mt Acropolis or the Labyrinth)
Day 4 Walk out to Narcissus and catch the ferry or lakeside track

You can change plans by walking straight into Pine Valley on the first day, make it only 3 days, etc.
(Walking via the lake petrarch track on the other side of Mt Olympus can be quite a large day, plus it was really wet and involved crossing a few cold streams last time I did it in winter a few years back, so probably not the best option)
Should ring ahead about the ferry times too (03) 6289 1137.

Anyway this is what im planning to do next week, hoping the weather picks up..

Nick
Nick S
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby whiskeylover » Fri 27 Jun, 2008 8:29 pm

All good ideas above as long as you have good gear.

Another good one is into the Walls of Jerusalem. Check the day you leave whether it would be good to have snow shoes or not.
Drive in early, lunch at Trappers Hut, only about an hour up the hill. Walk through Solomons Jewels, Wild Dog Creek - there are tent platforms and a large toilet here (big enough for a hygienic rest (and snack) - shelter in bad weather). The toilet is lovely and clean (thanks PWS) and doesn't smell in winter!
Through to Dixon's Kingdom Hut - a very old, not modern hut, which is actually quite cozy when it's got an insulating layer of snow on it - we found that it was warmer to sleep in the hut than on the sheet of ice we had pitched our tent on.
You could spend the middle day exploring any of the walls area, or climb Mt Jerusalem for a great view if the weather is clear.
You can walk out the way you came in, or for a round trip there are other ways to get back to Trappers Hut, such as the Golden Vale.
It is imperative if you try this one that you have reasonable map reading and navigation skills - although the main track is fairly well marked it is not as obvious as you might expect when there's a good snow cover.

Happy walking, and hope you enjoy your Tassie trip.
medicinal purposes only of course
whiskeylover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Fri 27 Jun, 2008 8:54 pm

whiskeylover -got to love your name albeit Irish not Scotch I do trust that you had your snack outside the dunny at Wild Dog Creek and that you don't overcrowd it in bad weather :lol:
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby wello » Sat 28 Jun, 2008 12:07 am

The Freycinet peninsula walk is a good one in winter, as the weather is generally better on the east coast than elsewhere in the state. This would be a good three day walk, with a good mix of beach walking, granite peaks and fairly dry coastal bushland. There's some good photos elsewhere on the site.

Another possibility would be Mt Field area. You could head out towards Mt field west, staying the night at a small hut at K Col (room for four max). Climb Field West, then return via tarn shefl or twilight tarn. Probably more of a two day walk, but could be extended to three with side trips to the numerous peaks in the area.

If you're really brave, you could try the Mt anne circuit. With a bit of snow, this area would be really beautiful but also quite dangerous in a few of the exposed sections. Again, there's some photos elsewhere on the site.

Another serious walk is Frenchmans Cap. At 54km all up, its reasonably long for the short days of winter, but if you do get some good weather its a great walk. first day walk to Lake vera hut. Climb Frenchmans Cap and return in a long day walk on the second day, then walk out on the final day.

Cheers

Wello
wello
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby mike » Wed 02 Jul, 2008 6:24 pm

planning on going into the Walls of J early august. Does anyone know where I can obtain reliable info shortly prior to walk about snow conditions to determine whether enough snow to warrant xc skis or snow shoes?
mike
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby whiskeylover » Wed 02 Jul, 2008 7:11 pm

You could try contacting the ranger at Cradle Mountain as it is close enough to the Walls to give you a bit of a guide to how much snow we've had. You can check with them before you head up. Or check the Bureau of Meteorology for the week before to see what we've been having - the cover on Ben Lomond and other parts of the state though is no indicator for the Walls and the Central Plateau. We went up in August last year and we wore snow shoes but one in the party just had boots. The snow was fresh enough cover up the top, after Herod's Gate you could've used cross country skis most of the way (depending on skill level) to Dixons kingdom hut (don't expect the Taj Mahal just a basic low roofed shelter not that wind proof but we were able to use it to cook in and the roof didn't leak). I found that the snow shoes (Yowies) work really well and were definitely worth carrying.
medicinal purposes only of course
whiskeylover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wello » Wed 02 Jul, 2008 11:29 pm

I've had good success in getting detailed and accruate weather information from the weather shop in Launceston (cornwall Square). Talked to them once about conditions for the overland track and their predictions held for all five days. Used them again recently to get advice about whether it would likely be clear on Ben Lomond. despite a white out fog in launceton, they said it would be clear on the mountain and they were spot on. That time I phoned them up at about 7:30am, so its a pretty convenient service, and heaps more detail than you get on the TV.

Wello
wello
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Chris » Thu 03 Jul, 2008 5:36 pm

[quote="wello"]I've had good success in getting detailed and accurate weather information from the weather shop in Launceston (Cornwall Square). That time I phoned them up at about 7:30am, so its a pretty convenient service, and heaps more detail than you get on the TV.

Yes, it's a great service. Just a warning that it's only a Monday to Friday operation. When it's closed you're put through to Hobart; good friendly advice, but not quite the local info about the north which Brendan McMahon has.
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby mike » Fri 04 Jul, 2008 5:26 pm

Thanks for your replies re weather info.
Very helpful.
mike
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tasadam » Sat 05 Jul, 2008 11:43 am

The Mole Creek parks office is responsible for the Walls - http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=7710#13
You could contact them too.

It's not uncommon to not be able to make it into the walls in winter. We had a couple of nights at Wild Dog Creek going back a number of years, then had to retreat.
There was a lot of snow.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby NickD » Mon 07 Jul, 2008 6:07 pm

For that amount of time I'd recommend Mt Field area also.
Its a great introduction to South West conditions if your not too familiar with the area.
Most of the area is tracked, and has good snow pole markers which are visibile in even deep snow.
You can hike to Mt Field West in most conditions as the track is reasonably gentle - and you can sit upon the South Wests second highest peak (1st is frenchmans).
If the weather sucks big time - there is also The Tarn Shelf which is worthy of exploring in just about any conditions.
If your an experienced off track walker you could walk/ski/snowshoe out to Florentine & Tyenna peak also.
I love Mt Fied area - its perfect because its only an hour an a half from Hobart.
Have a good walk. ENJOY our state
NickD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Penguin » Mon 07 Jul, 2008 9:18 pm

I wouls suggest into Long Tarn, then day walk to Walls and back then out. The beauty of this walk is that it is sheltered going it an out. Different views in and out. Ad you can do as much on the middle day as weather permits.
Penguin

Postby mike » Tue 08 Jul, 2008 6:16 pm

Thanks again guys! Great for an 'interstater' to have info from locals. My Sydney companion and I will actually have 5 or 6 days for our tassie winter trip as we are flying into Hobart on sat 2 aug and out the following saturday. We plan to hire a car and will have the flexibility to go virtually anyhere in Tassie barring the more remote south west desinations. So any suggestions given that extra flexibility? Should we still be trying for the Walls? Is Mt Field a bit lacking isolation? We are looking forward to snow but would like the shelter that a place like the walls can provide tho admittedly its very basic and limited when it comes to huts. Have thought about Mt Anne or frenchman's cap but it looks to me that it could be v exposed places in winter. Have also considered Pine Valley/the Labryinth but pine valley itself (ie around the hut) is a little closed in. You guys will be wanting to join us next!
mike
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby MJD » Wed 09 Jul, 2008 8:26 pm

The Walls of Jerusalem is a great place. Mind you it always helps if the sun is out. It is high, altitude wise, by Tasmanian standards so you will need good gear. That said, many years ago a group of us went in for several days in August with a small toboggin and had fun climbing on the West Wall and toboggining down - you can pick up a lot of speed quite quickly from the bottom of the main gully.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Tasmania