Cuckoo Falls

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Cuckoo Falls

Postby Birddog » Thu 07 Jun, 2007 6:36 pm

Today my 17 year old son and I walked up to Cuckoo falls. The falls are in the North East near Scottsdale. This was a walk I had read nothing about. I only knew of it from the sign on the highway from Scottsdale to St Helens. The track is not marked on the TasMap. I looked up more detail on the Forestry Tas web site. The advertised time was 3hr. It took us about 2.20 from start to finish including a good break at the falls. The falls were really great especially as there was plenty of water coming over. 4WD required to get to the track start - a nice picnic spot.
Birddog
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tasadam » Thu 07 Jun, 2007 6:43 pm

Sounds interesting, good find!

Couple of things -
How far would you have to walk if you don't have a 4WD? Or is it not worth considering...

Do you have the URL to that section of the forestry site you could post here? Could be a good reference to anyone wanting to find it?

How far out of Scottsdale is the turnoff and which side?

Cheers!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby Birddog » Fri 08 Jun, 2007 9:03 pm

4WD was required at the beginning of the road (just after the turn off) as the road had been recently graded. This made it soft and extremely rutted from truck use. This lasted about 2km (max). I also thought that it was needed at the final turn of for the road to the track start and picnic ground. There was a short steep gravel section. I thought extra clearance was also important. This is about 500m from the track start.

The URL to check this out is;
http://www.tasforestrytourism.com.au/pa ... uckoo.html
http://www.touringtasmania.info/cuckoo_falls.htm

The turn off the main road is clearly marked. It is about 1 - 2km past French's sawmill. Don't be confused by the turn to Cuckoo (Cuckoo Road). Travel further down the main road to the next turn.
Birddog
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Cuckoo Falls

Postby shmow » Sat 30 Jun, 2007 9:03 pm

Cuckoo Falls Update!
Today...The day of my wife and my anniversary, we decided to walk to cuckoo falls with our 2 kids aged 3 and 5!
The access to the track definitely did not require a 4wd, we drive a 2wd hilux and there were no sections that posed a problem or would pose a problem even for my sports car!
We loved the walk, we are not the fittest people either, it was quite steep in parts and there was a tree fallen down in a particularly steep part of the track blocking access which was a little difficult to pass with 2 young tackers but nevertherless we made it and the sight that greeted us when we finally reached the falls was spectacular!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shmow/670261420/

Unfortunately my photo /s do not do this waterfall justice and it is very hard to tell how high it actually was (around 20 - 30 metres maybe).
We spent around 35 mins at the falls having lunch and a few pics and another 15 or so near the finish taking some more pics, we did not set out until 12:30pm and got back at 4:30pm and it was very close to dark at that point, so make that about 3 and a half hours with 2 young kids which is not too bad really.
The road to the track is only around 10 mins from scottsdale and then a further 5 mins or so to the track start.
I would say definitely visit this waterfall if you get the opportunity.
Have fun.....We did. Remember the leech protection but hey they do just drop off when full.....or carry a lighter!
Last edited by shmow on Sun 15 Jul, 2007 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
shmow
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Joe » Sun 01 Jul, 2007 5:16 pm

dunno how i missed this thread...i walked into these falls whilst living on east coast a few years ago...they can be found on my website http://www.taswaterfalls.com </shameless plug>

when i did it i did it in a 2wd ford laser...which went a lot of places it shouldnt have...RIP Cecil the Laser. That said this track is easily drivable wtih any 2wd...just take is slow

The walk is a ripper. I hid a geocache at the falls for anyone interested.

http://www.taswaterfalls.com/article.ph ... 7024801384 there is the actual article on my site

Photos do not do this one justice as previously said...its obscured at front by fallen logs and other debris...but is very pretty to human eye :)
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.
Region: Tasmania

Return to Tasmania