SMOKO FALLS

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

SMOKO FALLS

Postby GerryDuke » Mon 19 May, 2008 10:57 pm

Has anyone been to Smoko Falls in the Meander Forest Reserve? I was wondering if these are the falls? Does anyone know? They are not signposted and are opposite where the track heads up Mother Cummings Peak 2 hours into the walk. :)
Attachments
1905-SMOKO-FALLS-480.jpg
SMOKO FALLS?
GerryDuke
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Operator of www.TouringTasmania.info web site
Region: Tasmania

Re: SMOKO FALLS

Postby walkinTas » Wed 21 May, 2008 7:35 pm

Hi GerryDuke,

I'm surprised no one got back to you quicker than this. I walked with Taswaterfalls up Smoko Creek 12 months ago. You can find our pictures here. Your picture is not the Smoko Falls we walked to.

There are a number of falls in that area though.
Last edited by walkinTas on Sat 24 May, 2008 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tastrekker » Wed 21 May, 2008 10:50 pm

I was also perplexed by this. The tall cascade GerryDuke has snapped is a very speccy single drop in terms of height whereas Mother Cummings Rivulet is almost a continuous set of cascades for its entire length after it leaves the plateau behind Mothe Cummings Peak. To add to the confusion, I believe the main waterfall on Smoko Creek itself is called Chasm Falls. Theres even more confusion when you look at the 1:25,000 map which incorrectly applies the name Mother Cummings Rivulet to the upper reaches of Smoko Creek where it flows off Mt Ironstone. Are we really confused now? I am.
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GerryDuke » Thu 22 May, 2008 5:19 pm

Thanks for the replies. It sure is confusing. I'm pretty certain it actually is Smoko Creek that is adjacent to the car park at the end of Smoko Road. It sure is confusing with the official map on http://www.TheList.tas.gov.au showing both names for the creek (Mother Cummings Rivulet also).

We got as far as the falls in the image on your gallery TasTreker which you have named Smoko Falls. However, I am inclined to think that my image is in fact Smoko Falls. The first time I went there there was not much water coming down so I thought that perhaps it did not qualify as a waterfall! I will consult with someone from the walking clubs or Lands Dept to try and confirm our thoughts one way or the other. As an aside, there are 2 tracks leading from the car park. The most obvious one which is on the left heads down to the river and then up the old road (which is presumably still Smoko Road). The other track is almost concealed on the right. The sign in the car park directs walkers left "TO ALL WALKS" across the river. The right hand track as such does not cross Smoko Creek at all so the falls in my image can be accessed after heavy rain. They would no doubt be a spectacle.

A warning to prospective visitors. We became very lost coming back from the walk the first time. We accessed the track by heading up the old road to what was presumably the old car park. The tracks to Chasm Fall (straight ahead) and Smoko Falls (M.C. PEAK) to the right head off from here. Smoko creek is soon reached again for the latter walk. We crossed the creek again not realizing the track back to the car park was on the right. On the way back the river crossing is not marked and we continued on. After 15 minutes we decided to head back and find the crossing as we were unsure where the track led. It was becoming very dark and were lucky to get out.

The double river crossing to Smoko Falls is much easier than from the bottom part of the track from the car park!

There is also another marked track about 200 metres upstream from the second crossing on Smoko Creek. Does anyone know where this one goes?

Chasm Falls is on the other track along side Mother Cummings Creek. Chasm Falls are well signposted when you get there. A very pristine pretty walk - both of them.

There is also another track I have been told leads to Charlie Nutting cave! I have covered the area on my web site. I will try and do a map and put Smoko Falls on when I get time.
http://www.touringtasmania.info/chasm_falls.htm

Thanks again,

Gerry

PS. I think I have this post on the wrong Board. Newcommer!!
GerryDuke
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: SMOKO and CHASM FALLS and THE DELL

Postby tastrekker » Thu 22 May, 2008 9:39 pm

Well, well, well... As a keen waterfall bagger, I am quite upset now.

I thought I had been to Chasm Falls but the photos on the touringtasmania link show that I only made it to the "Cascade a few hundred metres below Chasm Falls." That's the price you pay when you bushwalk in a hurry. I must have missed markers that went beyond that initial cascade.

Actually now I come to think of it, I do remember markers going further on. The old sign at the 'original' end of Smoko Road (beyond the missing road bridge), points to Chasm Falls and The Dell. I now remember assuming that the continuation of the track would just lead to the Dell, an area I still have not visited tucked in under Bastian Bluff. I think there are also tracks leading to The Dell from the Split Rock and Stone Hut tracks which I have not taken the time to explore.

I feel very ripped off that I did not get to the true Chasm Falls. They look terrific. The log looks rather scary though. This is yet another walk to add to my ever-growing wish list of Tasmanian bushwalks.

P.S. I agree this appears to be on the wrong board. I will PM our illustrious administrator to suggest it is moved.
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: SMOKO and CHASM FALLS and THE DELL

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 22 May, 2008 9:42 pm

tastrekker wrote:P.S. I agree this appears to be on the wrong board. I will PM our illustrious administrator to suggest it is moved.

Too late... :)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby GerryDuke » Sat 24 May, 2008 12:11 am

I was talking to a seasoned walker today who assures me that my photo above are in fact Smoko Falls!! I must own up too Tastrekker - I only got to the falls you did on the first visit. Is is the most pristine of walks!!
GerryDuke
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Sat 24 May, 2008 9:13 am

Thanks for this thread GerryDuke! Thats another mystery uncovered by the forum. Looks like I will have to do some serious walking in this area between now and spring. I haven't seen Chasm, Smoko or Split Rock Falls. What was the condition of Smoko Road when you were up there?
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GerryDuke » Sat 24 May, 2008 1:48 pm

Have been up Smoko Road several times. The road has always been very good. (Like you it was Chasm Falls I didn't quite get to the first time! Took 3 visits. The first time I ended up on the Charlie Nutting Cave track before returning. Has anyone been to that cave?) As mentioned I will do a location map of the walks here when I can. Quarry road just over the bridge was a bit rough when we did the Stone Hut - Bastion Cascades circuit. Went there with a gentleman named Viv Blazeley. He walks with the 'Wacky Wanderers' from Deloraine - every Tuesday. Enquiries at the visitors centre! If you see a 'V' cut into a fallen tree it is Viv's signature. He regards the Circuit as the "Dress Circle" if forest walks in Tasmania.

Gerry

have since learned that the side track is 'Charlie Nutting Camp' not cave - per Viv.
GerryDuke
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania