Walks to Fishing Lakes & Greg F's Travel Times

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Walks to Fishing Lakes & Greg F's Travel Times

Postby Wet » Wed 30 Apr, 2008 3:48 pm

What speed would most travel times be estimated at?? I've going through Greg French's book these last few nights and just wanted to be able to judge the travel times verses my ability as a inexperienced hiker :oops:
Regards,
Andrew Connell
Wet
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Travel Times

Postby tastrekker » Wed 30 Apr, 2008 6:26 pm

There's a fair bit of discussion on walking speed in the post How far do you walk in a day?. While most of that discussion relates to the Overland Track, there are some good principles that can be applied anywhere.

My rule-of-thumb is 4 km/h when everything is in your favour.
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Wet » Wed 30 Apr, 2008 10:42 pm

Thanks for the link that should help :D
Regards,
Andrew Connell
Wet
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby slick41st » Thu 01 May, 2008 1:14 pm

Greg's suggestions are quite accurate, he gives a range in his books, and as an inexperienced person, or a person with a heavy pack you would take his extreme times - if he says 4-6 hours it will normally take me 4 and a half with a good sized pack. So take his longest times as a rule of thumb to start with.

Where are you looking at fishing?

Regards, Damien
slick41st
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Wet » Thu 01 May, 2008 10:09 pm

Hi Damian, thanks for your post. I'll do a few practice runs here on some walks I found on a web blog posted in another thread. I have a few I'd like to do, maybe Antinomy (sp?) Measton sounds good as I like Bows, there just seems to be a better chance of finding a less fished water a few hours or more from the roads :roll:

I'd love to do a NSW Alpine meadow stream trip some time in the new season :)
Regards,
Andrew Connell
Wet
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby slick41st » Sat 03 May, 2008 11:46 am

If you are not real experienced, then the trips I woudl suggest you start with would be Lake Fanny. Easy open walking and lots of fish, average size is a little small 1-2lb but I've pulled some up to 4.5lb out of there.

Antimony is a bit further and much more difficult to fish, it seems to be real hot or real cold fishing. I'd do that later when you are more experienced, but concentrate more on Lake Silver, it is a real special place. Blue peaks is good but I wouldnt recommend the track in unless you were well experienced, it can be difficult to follow and map/compass skills are a must.

I'd go to Lake Bill after Fanny if I were you.

Cheers, Damien
slick41st
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby RiverFly » Sat 03 May, 2008 4:10 pm

Crossed over forums hey Wet?
I have walked with Greg a bit, and his times are about right, if you dont stop at all. If there are hills involved in the walk though, eg Meston walk, take the longer time estimates as he is a fit freak and won't be stopping for cramps or water. :D

Antimony is easy enough, only one small hill, though the turn off from the Fanny track is easy to miss. There are a few trophy waters in a days walk from Antimony, and Silver is a ripper as Damien said.

In a nutshell, any walk from Lake Ada side of the lakes are easy enough, and those from the Mersey side involve a very big climb, but awesome environments: my favourite.
The lake Mackenzie end has a few good day walks or camping, Nameless is easy enough, but you can get a bit turned around out there so bring a compass and map.
RiverFly

Postby shanehugh » Mon 05 May, 2008 9:16 am

Just off topic a little but Daniel and Slick41st both mentioned Silver Lake and often wondered what it and its surrounds are like. I always had this idea of an idyllic little lake ringed with pencil pines and such. Anyone have any pics of it to enlighten me as I have heard to many good flyfishing reports on this water to ignore it much longer.

Regards Shane
shanehugh
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Wet » Mon 05 May, 2008 12:25 pm

Thanks Damien and Daniel :)

Damien, the walking side is the inexperienced bit, the Fishing side I'll be ok :wink:
Regards,
Andrew Connell
Wet
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby prickle » Mon 05 May, 2008 4:42 pm

Shane

I was in that neck of the woods in Jan this year ... I'd have some pix which I'll post up tonight

Stuart
prickle
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby RiverFly » Mon 05 May, 2008 7:52 pm

Silver et al are sclerophyll rather than rainforest, but Silver is very pretty, with a lovely camping spot. I co-authored a coffee-table a book called In Season Tasmania - A Year of Fly Fishing Highlights, plenty of photos of that area in the Western Lakes chapter. Dial-up doesn't do photos too well.
RiverFly

Postby Wet » Mon 05 May, 2008 10:30 pm

Daniel, which pages are of Silver :)
Regards,
Andrew Connell
Wet
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby BarryJ » Mon 05 May, 2008 10:45 pm

Page 50, LHS, Wet (fine print at the top).
BarryJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Wet » Mon 05 May, 2008 11:04 pm

It's a picture book Barry, thats why I got it... now you want me to learn to read and count :roll: :D
Regards,
Andrew Connell
Wet
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby RiverFly » Tue 06 May, 2008 6:38 am

Page 48 is the Fanny track that you turn off, 49 are both Silver, and as BJ sais, 50 is Silver.
RiverFly

Postby BarryJ » Tue 06 May, 2008 8:20 am

Now we just have to get him to tell us the location of the lake referred to as Lake Why in the book. :wink:

A PM will suffice, thanks Daniel - there's no need to tell everyone! :lol:
BarryJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Wet » Tue 06 May, 2008 9:53 am

Barry, Daniel is coming over to Victoria with a note book filled with walks/track notes for future trips, ain't that so Daniel :D I'll treasure that note book Daniel :wink:
Regards,
Andrew Connell
Wet
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby slick41st » Tue 06 May, 2008 12:30 pm

Going to Vic? Off topic a bit but.....

Make sure you fish Lake Tali Karng, it is my most favourite lake ever (sorry to say but even more of a favourite than anything in Tassie). Can polaroid up to 60 fish a day, avg size 1.5lb, but at night the odd 4-5 lb appears.

Only problem is the crowds of people and the most horid walk down a tier I have ever had to endure many times over.''

Regards, Damien
slick41st
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Wet » Tue 06 May, 2008 12:45 pm

The Crowds would be just walkers?? I've had that lake on the radar but your the first to they fished it. How long ago did you fish it Damien?
Regards,
Andrew Connell
Wet
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby RiverFly » Wed 07 May, 2008 9:19 am

[i]Why[i] , I can't remember...If you'd asked about Lake Jurassic I could have told you, but now the memory of that one is also getting vague and confused. No doubt the effects of fishing too many spring creeks...
RiverFly

Re: Walks to Fishing Lakes & Greg F's Travel Times

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 07 May, 2008 9:42 am

(Note that I've changed the title of this topic to reflect the direction it has taken. I think that's more appropriate than splitting it in this case.)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby slick41st » Wed 07 May, 2008 11:09 am

Wet wrote:The Crowds would be just walkers?? I've had that lake on the radar but your the first to they fished it. How long ago did you fish it Damien?

Yes the crowds are walkers, but they just have this need to walk around and throw rocks in all the time.

Last itme fished approx 2.5 years, but fished it for about 5 years, just loved the place, extremely unique. Liek I said it is my all time favourite. If you do go, send me an email and I'll give some other tips about which way to go in and where to camp. Got to go and catch a plane......

Cheers, Damien
slick41st
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby BarryJ » Wed 07 May, 2008 1:47 pm

RiverFly wrote:[i]Why[i] , I can't remember...If you'd asked about Lake Jurassic I could have told you, but now the memory of that one is also getting vague and confused. No doubt the effects of fishing too many spring creeks...

:cry: :roll: :x :? :)
BarryJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby slick41st » Wed 07 May, 2008 3:23 pm

Wet wrote::)

Damien, the walking side is the inexperienced bit, the Fishing side I'll be ok :wink:

You will need to carry waders for Antimony ( I carry them for all lakes anyway).
slick41st
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Walks to Fishing Lakes & Greg F's Travel Times

Postby Wet » Wed 07 May, 2008 5:47 pm

Damien, I know several of the tracks to Tarli Karng are closed due to fire damage and not due to open till next year... I'll send you a PM when I get home :wink:

I wore Waders the last time I walked in to fish, but there was a hill in front that had me wondering what's on the other side...
Regards,
Andrew Connell
Wet
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania