Poimena Reserve in Austins Ferry

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Postby bobhroddam » Mon 14 Apr, 2008 2:52 pm

Introducing Poimena Reserve in Austins Ferry.
Attractions:
- Superb views up and down the Derwent, around to Mount Wellington and along to Mt. Faulkner.
- Over seventy species of birds recorded. Thirty two seen on a recent Birds Tasmania trip (March 08).
- A highly regarded Disc Golf course, which attracts national and international players.
- Toilets and BBQ area, with shelter sheds.

Distances:
- Full round trip about 4 km.
- Altitude climbed from about twenty metres to 100 metres above sea level.

Getting there:
- By car along Main Road, park at Roseneath Park playground, or in main car park at Poimena at top of Wakehurst Road.
- By Metro Tasmania bus, X1, X7, 117 or 42 depending upon time of day / day of week.

Risks:
- The usual for bush-walking, such as sunburn, slips, trips and falls.
- Ant and bee stings; track passes a bees nest in base of a tree, but occupants are pretty docile.
- Toxic toadstools - watch kids.
- Rivulet, particularly in flood. Supervise the kids!
- Trail bikes - particularly after school and at weekends. Stand to one side if approaching.

The walk:
- Start at Roseneath Park playground, crossing park towards bush at foot of hill, keeping Roseneath Rivulet at your left.
- Track starts in bush near Rivulet edge and initially travels fairly level alongside Rivulet, before heading up hill through bush. A bit steep and loose gravel (from trail bike activity) or mud can make it slippery.
- Turn right at first junction at top of hill (left turn takes you on a short trip to a lookout).
- Next junction, turn left - then shortly after that take a path branching right up the hill. This will take you to open parkland area where main car park, toilets and BBQs are.
- Gravel track above car park / BBQ area takes you to top of hill where best views are.
- Optional - continue northwards along track through metal hoops at top of hill. This takes you to a paddock with two large trees. Other side of paddock offers a view down towards Goulds Lagoon.
bobhroddam
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Poimena Reserve in Austins Ferry

Postby jarvo_325 » Thu 05 Jun, 2008 1:00 pm

Hey bobhroddam

I think I past you in March when you were bird watching near the Roseneath Riverulet on the bottom end of Poimena. I think we were talking about the Grey Goss Hawk. The other day I spotted about a dozen of Currawongs in the reserve. Do you often go bird watching in the Reserve?
I have noticed those bees and they do seem pretty docile hey.

I walk in the reserve everyday on all the tracks I think its a awesome. For its size the reserve has such wonderful places to explore.

Oh well probably see you soon on one of the tracks! :D
jarvo_325
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Poimena Reserve in Austins Ferry

Postby bobhroddam » Tue 15 Jul, 2008 11:04 am

Hi Jarvo, thanks for that. Sorry I didn't reply earlier, but don't visit the web page very often. Yes, probably was me you met. I try to get up there three or four times per week - weather and work permitting! (The warmer weather is good, as I take my brekky up there to eat whilst watching birds.)

I keep a regular record of birds seen in an A5 diary, which I then transpose on to an Excel spreadsheet on a week-by-week basis. This allows me to print out a graphic display to show which birds are there and when. (This is important, as it will help show changing arrival / departure times and other changes over time with climate change.)

There are also quite a few Eastern-barred Bandicoots and some Southern Brown Bandicoots. This is why dogs are only permitted in the upper part of the reserve above the car park, and always on leash. Sadly there are a few ignorant types who completely disregard these requirements - dogs and bandicoots just don't mix! I've found several dead Bandicoots over the years.
bobhroddam
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Tasmania