Mt Tor

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Mt Tor

Postby Crawfinator » Thu 06 Sep, 2018 10:20 am

Just an update on this post.

I drove in last Friday night to attempt Tor from the Western side. I had planned to do a loop utilising half of the northern route and the western route.

Big drive in their from Launceston through loongana and on through maxfields rd.

Plenty of warnings that a locked gate was coming up, to find the boom gates wide open. A lot of forestry activity going on in there, not sure you'd get a green light on request from Forico.

Managed to squeeze my Ranger right down to the old picnic shelter (though worrying that i might not get it back out if a couple of fallen trees collapsed.

Woke up at 5am to find that the old logs across the river were long gone and river to fast to ford, so i opted for a drive over to do St Valentines peak instead.

Drove out through the Guildford Rd exit - a large manned weigh bridge.

Going back to do this in summer from the Northen route...
Crawfinator
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Geevesy » Mon 01 Apr, 2019 4:51 pm

Thought I'd bump this thread as I'm thinking about attempting Mt Tor this week.

I was considering attempting the peak from the Black Bluff Track (PCT), following the high ridges from the south. I'd expect a few scrubby sections but majority button grass. Don't suppose anyone has a good photo of this ridge or had a close look before?
A path! A path!
Geevesy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Mon 01 Apr, 2019 5:47 pm

I had a squizz at the ridge the first time I did the Black Bluff Range. There are some nasty patches of scrub, especially close to the lowest point on the connection. Should bee easy going once you reach the old track from the south.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Azza » Tue 02 Apr, 2019 10:42 am

We got through the gate on Maxfields Rd a couple of years ago, it was closed but unlocked.
Ended up driving out the main boom gate no questions asked. Driving out there seemed to be a lot of people in there clearly for recreational purposes.
Might be worth a phone call to enquire about access.

We had various plans about attempting it from the North across the Leven and trying to pick up one of the old likely overgrown roads.
We drove along looking for signs of the old roads (Alps) and somewhere to cross but never looked that hard as we got through the gate.
The northern flanks looked quite open down to the scrub around the river, likewise the connection ridge up to Black Bluff didn't look bad mostly open, but it did look a long way.

It would be an overnight mission over black bluff and back I reckon.
I'd even consider the mountain bike option from the gate on Maxfields 10km each way to Picnic Shelter.

I probably have a photo of the ridge (will check later).
Azza

Postby Tortoise » Tue 02 Apr, 2019 12:20 pm

Azza wrote:We got through the gate on Maxfields Rd a couple of years ago, it was closed but unlocked.
Ended up driving out the main boom gate no questions asked. Driving out there seemed to be a lot of people in there clearly for recreational purposes.
Might be worth a phone call to enquire about access.

Definitely try Forico if you decide to go that way instead. Looks like they've tightened up a lot. We got access from the west a while ago through official channels - paperwork & a permit. Logging trucks were warned that members of the public were on the road that day.
Now it requires an induction with Forico as well, apparently. Not sure what it means exactly. I think they are much less keen private walkers than club groups with insurance.

You might get in, but not out, if you go through a boom gate unofficially. Some folks I know were recently locked in on a road with a gate and no signage anywhere, and not an apparently private road from what they gathered from LISTmap (cadastral parcels layer). Not sure if that was Forico or another company in the area.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby doogs » Tue 02 Apr, 2019 3:49 pm

I did the usual route last winter(the river was up a little but not too bad). This was fairly straightforward. I did take pictures of the ridge you refer to but I can't find them on my phone and wont have time to get them at home for a few days. I certainly looked doable but scrubby in places. It'd be a good overnighter!
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Azza » Tue 02 Apr, 2019 9:46 pm

tor.jpg

I think this is the ridge swinging around from the south.
Azza

Postby Geevesy » Wed 03 Apr, 2019 8:21 am

Thanks all - Yeah planning on having a night up on the range just past the range summit, then a walk out to Mt Tor and return to the car the next day. If it doesn't end up being too bad at least it's an alternative.
A path! A path!
Geevesy

Postby Mowser » Sun 19 May, 2019 8:16 pm

Back in February I asked Forico politely if I could access Mt Tor from the Western Access. This is the response I received;

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply work matters have delayed my response. We have had a previous request for access to Mount Tor via our property unfortunately I had to decline this individuals request as I do yours out of consistency and fairness as the area requested for access is through part of our working forest which raises quite a number of safety and risk concerns for ourselves and the accessing persons.

We do on occasion work with large associated walking groups to allow access to different area’s within our managed land estate as they can better satisfy our access requirements, so keep your ear out for one of those.

Regards,
Forico

While we were out at Black Bluff in late Feb, we ended up trying to go in from the northern access the day after a heap of rain and the Leven was too fast flowing and deep to cross so headed to St Valentines instead. Will have another crack soon.
Mowser
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ofuros » Mon 20 May, 2019 6:45 am

Mowser wrote:We do on occasion work with large associated walking groups to allow access to different area’s within our managed land estate as they can better satisfy our access requirements, so keep your ear out for one of those.

What were the "access requirements" they had in mind ?
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Mowser » Mon 20 May, 2019 9:36 am

I think 'access requirements' means;
- hardly anyone ever accessing the area and only larger groups accessing the area. i.e. not lots of little parties.
- if they do access then Forico know exactly when and where they will be.

pretty annoying, but as others say, the boom gate is often left open......
Mowser
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby north-north-west » Mon 20 May, 2019 4:04 pm

Mowser wrote:...pretty annoying, but as others say, the boom gate is often left open......

...with no guarantee that it will still be open on the way out.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Tortoise » Mon 20 May, 2019 4:46 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Mowser wrote:...pretty annoying, but as others say, the boom gate is often left open......

...with no guarantee that it will still be open on the way out.

Especially when they're working somewhere in the area.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hot073 » Sat 07 Sep, 2019 3:54 pm

Looking at doing this walk in the next few weeks,will post any new info.
Hot073
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Previous

Return to Tasmania