South Coast Track -> Melaleuca / Scotts Peak

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

South Coast Track -> Melaleuca / Scotts Peak

Postby crockle » Fri 03 Sep, 2010 8:59 pm

Wanting to canvass some opinion if I can.

If starting the South Coast Track from Cockle Creek, and given for the sake of argument, that time is not an issue - is it worthwhile adding the Port Davey Track to the trip and finishing up a more 'epic' outing at Scotts Peak Dam?

"Worthwhile" being inevitably subjective of course. "Worthwhile" in the context that you *could* be using that extra 3 - 5 days walking somewhere else in the state perhaps.

I've heard the Port Davey track described as 'tedious', 'drudgery' 'a mud nightmare' and 'forgettable' (or words to that effect)

I've also spoken to at least one walker who was really pleased that he hadn't caught a plane out at Melaleuca as most walkers on the track did: - he described Melaleuca to Scotts Peak as "a beaut walk".
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: South Coast Track -> Melaleuca / Scotts Peak

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sat 04 Sep, 2010 6:30 am

Muddy.. Yes.
Dull... At times.
Tedius... At times.

Worthwile?? Probably not. Personally i'd do the SCT, and spend the other 5 days doing something like the Anne circuit.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby JamesMc » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 10:42 am

I thought the Port Davey Track was excellent, though I've not walked the section south of the boat crossing. There is a fair bit of mud near Crossing River, and near the Crossing - Spring divide. But apart from that it's not bad. In fact, we found it very hard on the feet becuase much of it is so hard and gravelly. There's quite a few peaks along the way that make good side trips (Mt Rugby, My Berry, Mt Robinson, Mt Hesperus). These are mostly no track but open button grass.

Also, it will be a relief from the crowds on the South Coast Track.

Note that the camp sites tend to be small, so don't take a huge party.

JamesMc
JamesMc
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby crockle » Mon 06 Sep, 2010 8:32 pm

Thanks for Port Davey Track impressions, both of you. Representative sampling of 2 (two) opinions pretty much mirrors what I've heard in person re. a verdict on this walk. Opinions slightly divided in other words. Yeah I can see that taking 5 days to do Mt Anne circuit is going to be a spectacular walk, whereas the Port Davey Track is not ever going to be described in those terms. I may yet add it (PDT) to the itinerary 'just because it's there' and I don't want to always be wondering..
Or may reformulate a 'better use of time' trip, with some S-W Cape thrown in instead. :)
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Singe » Tue 07 Sep, 2010 9:53 am

Have you considered adding a side trip to Precipitous Bluff as another alternative?
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby crockle » Tue 07 Sep, 2010 10:32 am

I hadn't Singe - always having considered Precipitous Bluff (from either direction) as pretty hard core. From the SCT, PB would involve 3 - 4 days diversion from New River Lagoon, rough track(S) plus some scrub bashing - that about right ? If I don't feel it's beyond my abilities I'll gladly put it on the short-list
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ollster » Tue 07 Sep, 2010 11:53 am

crockle wrote:From the SCT, PB would involve 3 - 4 days diversion from New River Lagoon, rough track(S) plus some scrub bashing - that about right ? If I don't feel it's beyond my abilities I'll gladly put it on the short-list

The track isn't that rough, and there's virtually no scrub on the way up to PB from SCT, just a long wade. PB can be done from SCT in one long day (for the "enthusiast") or 2-3 shorter days for the more realistic (one half-day in to Caver's Camp, one full day up PB and back with daypacks, then another half-day out of Caver's Camp).

Doing PB from SCT wouldn't be on my list of fun things to do though. You're better off doing the Southern Range than the SCT, which quite frankly is a vile and loathsome track for the most part, IMO (beaches aside).
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby crockle » Tue 07 Sep, 2010 12:27 pm

ollster wrote:The track isn't that rough, and there's virtually no scrub on the way up to PB from SCT, just a long wade. PB can be done from SCT in one long day (for the "enthusiast") or 2-3 shorter days for the more realistic (one half-day in to Caver's Camp, one full day up PB and back with daypacks, then another half-day out of Caver's Camp).

That's a better route summary than my vague 'recollections' - thanks.

ollster wrote:..the SCT, which quite frankly is a vile and loathsome track for the most part, IMO (beaches aside).

Because it's become a highway full of tourists wearing Levis and Lacoste ?
Or because of the track itself - terrain, views, etc ?
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Azza » Tue 07 Sep, 2010 12:32 pm

crockle wrote:I hadn't Singe - always having considered Precipitous Bluff (from either direction) as pretty hard core. From the SCT, PB would involve 3 - 4 days diversion from New River Lagoon, rough track(S) plus some scrub bashing - that about right ? If I don't feel it's beyond my abilities I'll gladly put it on the short-list

Hardcore once.. 5 years ago went I first walked the southern ranges the route was already fairly well tracked, with a bit of scratchy stuff along the way.
Its interested 5 years on just how much more established the track is now, the fact I arrived back at cockle creek with virtual no scratches compared to 5 years ago. There also appears to have been a fair bit of track work done around PB itself. The only bit to take care on is navigating the lower forest section, few fallen trees and sink holes to fall in... :roll: But its a marked track the whole way from the lagoon.

Pretty much what Ollster says... except he is a peak bagging snob hence no interest in SCT. He always has the jungle fever by the time we get to Prion Beach and wants to get home ASAP. I gotta admit the bit over the South Coast Range is alittle tedious though.
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby crockle » Tue 07 Sep, 2010 1:11 pm

aljscott wrote:Hardcore once.. .. I arrived back at cockle creek with virtual no scratches compared to 5 years ago... There also appears to have been a fair bit of track work done around PB itself.. ..its a marked track the whole way from the lagoon.

That's interesting, and sounds considerably less rigorous than what I had understood to be the case - based on talking to walkers probably 9 - 10 years ago.
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ollster » Tue 07 Sep, 2010 1:27 pm

crockle wrote:
ollster wrote:..the SCT, which quite frankly is a vile and loathsome track for the most part, IMO (beaches aside).

Because it's become a highway full of tourists wearing Levis and Lacoste ?
Or because of the track itself - terrain, views, etc ?

No, I don't care about who walks it (dogs and owners aside, see thread from earlier in the year!) or whether they're in FUBU or Holden Racing Team jackets... I just think that the 5% of nice scenery and camping (ie: the beaches) is not worth the 95% of horrible mud rut and undulating, viewless coastal forest. Tacked on the end of a Southern Ranges traverse, the SCT is like having to eat a bucket of rotten fish eyeballs after a delicious meal of sushi.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and ALL THE *&%$#! RUBBISH AT THE CAMPSITES IS A DISGRACE. :roll:
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crockle » Tue 07 Sep, 2010 2:48 pm

ollster wrote:..a vile and loathsome track...
..the SCT is like having to eat a bucket of rotten fish eyeballs...

I do wish you would stop mincing your words ollster - it makes it difficult to know if you like the track or not... :D
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 07 Sep, 2010 4:24 pm

Dont let Oll put you off, Yes it's the muddiest track in Tasmania. Yes there's more rubbish at the campsites than at a local tip, sure it only goes thru beaches for less than 5% of the walk but it's really not a bad walk!! After all, it does have..... umm well now... what does it have? Crowded campsites, the worst toilets you'll find.

I've done it twice so im sure theres SOMETHING i liked about it.....

Ah yes, there's good views of PB ??

And a sidetrip to PB from the SCT would be a good idea I reckon. A nice break from the hordes and mud to get on a REAL mountain!!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crockle » Tue 07 Sep, 2010 5:25 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:...rubbish...Crowded campsites....worst toilets you'll find...

Where do I sign up? - Tell me more! :o

Well I am seriously reconsidering this ramble (would you believe it)
Perhaps a week relaxing over the Ducane Range would be time better spent.
ILUVSWTAS wrote:..get on a REAL mountain!!

- Or Southern Ranges: Lune River -> Precipitous Bluff

From comments, Cockle Creek to Scotts Peak Dam seems like folly. Or at least a poor use of time - often dirty, dull and tedious - bleh :|
So what happened to the SCT (as far as the rubbish / bad toilets etc) - is it just as simple as too many people, for too long + too little maintenance?
Was it *ever* clean and fun ? ? ?
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Singe » Tue 07 Sep, 2010 5:36 pm

Don't believe 'em for a second crockle - the SCT is a very pleasant walk. Beaut views every day, enough hills to make it interesting and when I was there in January this year it was far from crowded despite walking in the less popular East-West direction. The only rubbish I saw was marine flotsam, of which there was a fair bit on some beaches.

They do have a point about the toilets though - even the brand-new Deadman's Bay toilet is just a hole in the ground. Only sit-on toilet on the whole track is at Cox's Bight.
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 07 Sep, 2010 6:29 pm

The rubbish is gone??? Seriously? Well thats fantastic!!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ollster » Tue 07 Sep, 2010 11:21 pm

Singe wrote:Don't believe 'em for a second crockle - the SCT is a very pleasant walk.

If a tad muddy..

Singe wrote:Beaut views every day

Of mud... and rubbish...

Singe wrote:enough hills to make it interesting

If you like mud... and thought the yo-yo track was "top fun"...

I wouldn't worry too much about the toilets, it's bushwalking after all. :mrgreen:
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 4:13 am

Hahahaha.

The YOYO track wasnt that bad!!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Azza » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 12:56 pm

One should actually clarify things here and say that the Ollster has not actually walked the entire SCT.. just the bit from prion beach to Cockle Creek.

There is a lot of stuff that washes up on the beaches from fishermen.
It seems to get periodically rounded up and dumped in a pile near some of the camp sites. So it looks a little untidy.

Toilets - well it beats trying to dig a hole. Although it would appear that some people aren't even willing to do that.

I went through the south coast in early January and barely saw 10 people the entire trip.

Muddiest in Tasmania well maybe the longest slog through mud - Mark I take it you haven't been into Lake Judd yet?
Azza

Postby stu » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 1:02 pm

Yup, link here on mud, glorious mud...
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23&p=19531&hilit=muddiest#p19531
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kramster » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 1:07 pm

ditto aljscott... I have to say that SCT was one of the most memorable and picturesque "big walks" I've done.
Yes the loos leave a bit to be desired, and a bit of track work on the muddiest bits wouldn't hurt, but you are in the bush... just don't expect the long-drop luxury of the O'land track (oh and you won't miss the "rush to the next hut" crowds either). We went over New-years (so peak season), and shared the track with maybe 30 people max. Louisa River, Ironbounds and Surprise Bay are pretty special places to experience.
kramster
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ollster » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 1:30 pm

aljscott wrote:One should actually clarify things here and say that the Ollster has not actually walked the entire SCT.. just the bit from prion beach to Cockle Creek

Funny, that, and other people's accounts of the rest of the SCT, has put me off doing the rest... will probably drop in to Melaleuca and do the Ironbounds etc, and SWC, but donno about the rest of it...
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 3:40 pm

SWC isnt technically a part of the SCT.

Azz, yeh i've done lake Judd, ok thats probably muddier, but its MUCH shorter!!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Azza » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 3:55 pm

ollster wrote:Funny, that, and other people's accounts of the rest of the SCT

Thinking back to the swallet episode... are you sure you want to pass judgement?
Azza

Postby ollster » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 4:09 pm

aljscott wrote:
ollster wrote:Funny, that, and other people's accounts of the rest of the SCT

Thinking back to the swallet episode... are you sure you want to pass judgement?

Yeah fair point...
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 6:36 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Yes it's the muddiest track in Tasmania.

You obviously haven't done the Old Port Davey track.

Seriously? worse than all that sodden ploddin' through the soddin' Loddens?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Liamy77 » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 7:29 pm

I would say that if you don't like THICK scrub stop at PB.... Been 9 years since i did it but i went out over PB via Pindars peak to Loone River... 2 hours per Km for a bit there pushing through 2m high pointy sticks that have a knack of gettin into sensitive bits!!! Moonlight ridge was nice and the view from PB is great...
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics

Postby ollster » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 8:33 pm

Liamy77 wrote:I would say that if you don't like THICK scrub stop at PB.... Been 9 years since i did it but i went out over PB via Pindars peak to Loone River...

It's almost all gone. Went through in 2006 (?) and at start of 2010, and the scrub is virtually non existent. I remember some horrible knee high scoparia on the way down to Leaning Tea Tree Saddle, and also in the valley below Kameruka (sp?) moraine, but both were basically clear.
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Liamy77 » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 9:35 pm

WOW! what happened? there was only a few KMs of it between PB and pindars but I remember it bein really thick at the time (my mate "lost " his foam mat -we did try n tell him it is better IN his pack but Noooo....)
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics

Postby ollster » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 10:08 pm

Liamy77 wrote:WOW! what happened? there was only a few KMs of it between PB and pindars but I remember it bein really thick at the time (my mate "lost " his foam mat -we did try n tell him it is better IN his pack but Noooo....)

Dunno? I know what you mean, I came out of Southern Ranges Pt. 1 with some terrible scratches, and some that scarred me for about 12 months. But Part 2 was fine. I reckon an increase in traffic (probably in no small part to the track notes in Chapman's SW book) and possibly drier conditions may have lead to the scrub retreating?
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to Tasmania