Pelion for the Long Weekend June (this weekend)

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Pelion for the Long Weekend June (this weekend)

Postby Ent » Mon 07 Jun, 2010 8:32 am

Hi All

How does a walk on the long weekend sound as below

New Pelion on day one that will take around 5+ hours, do Pelion East on day two its a tad over 10 km return and we would need to allow 2 hours at least for the for the return climb, Next check out the Plane wreck on the way out (will mean an early start)to ensure we are clear of the Forest on the 17 track before dark.

This will mean two nights at Pelion. It could be shorten to one night but then it would not be such a stroll :D

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Pelion for the Long Weekend June (this weekend)

Postby sthughes » Mon 07 Jun, 2010 9:16 am

Sounds good. Could do Pillenger on the Way in and Ossa after East Pelion too, or just have a relaxing weekend ;-)
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Julafreak » Mon 07 Jun, 2010 11:57 am

Apologies beforehand for asking such a dumb question but when is the long weekend? =D
Yippee!
Julafreak
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sthughes » Mon 07 Jun, 2010 12:11 pm

Julafreak wrote:Apologies beforehand for asking such a dumb question but when is the long weekend? =D

This weekend coming! I.e. Saturday 12th to Monday 14th :wink:
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Mon 07 Jun, 2010 8:31 pm

Hi Simon

The idea is to explore the Magg 17 track but dodging up Pellinger sounds like a good option as well as double bagging the twins from Pelion Gap. If the group is big enough some can go ahead and bag the hut while the insane, sorry, intrepid do Pellinger on the way in. I would like to do that having seen enough of it from Lees Paddocks. The way I see it Pelion Hut gives a lot of options. Some have even known to head through to Frenchmans Cap :wink: Even Oakleigh is an if people have done Ossa and Pelion East. The idea is to use the big hut at a time of the year when it is not packed to the rafters with the long haul brigade.

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Taurë-rana » Mon 07 Jun, 2010 10:14 pm

Hi Brett,
I'll be tempted if the weather looks reasonable, and I can find a pack to borrow - mine's being repaired by Aarn. I'd be happy to do the hut bagging as I've been up Pillinger.
Rachel
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby abowen » Tue 08 Jun, 2010 12:21 pm

Hi Brett,
I will be with a group on Cathedral for a couple of nights (weather permitting) - hope to bag a few of the prominent peaks that overlook the Mersey. Will give you a wave from atop somewhere! Hopefully the weather will be clear. Don't mind snow or ice, just as long as I can get some reasonable views.
Cheers
Andrew
Recent Walks:
Mt Gell
abowen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ent » Tue 08 Jun, 2010 10:01 pm

Snow and ice? Um? Err? Oh what the heck, fast way of coming down a mountain :D Assuming the stop is not too sudden :(

Hi T-R. Not sure how a 90 litre pack travel would look on you. All I have is long back fitting packs. Shame to hear that the Aarn is back for repairs.

Cheers Brett
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Julafreak » Wed 09 Jun, 2010 9:48 pm

sthughes wrote:
Julafreak wrote:Apologies beforehand for asking such a dumb question but when is the long weekend? =D

This weekend coming! I.e. Saturday 12th to Monday 14th :wink:

Darn.. last paper on Monday the 14th.
Yippee!
Julafreak
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby samh » Wed 09 Jun, 2010 10:44 pm

abowen wrote:I will be with a group on Cathedral for a couple of nights (weather permitting) - hope to bag a few of the prominent peaks that overlook the Mersey. Will give you a wave from atop somewhere! Hopefully the weather will be clear. Don't mind snow or ice, just as long as I can get some reasonable views.
Cheers
Andrew

Hi Andrew I'v been up there a few weeks ago, here a few photos. for some reason I really love Cathedral, but I can't really tell why I have to go back to find out hope you have a good trip.
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Taurë-rana » Wed 09 Jun, 2010 11:08 pm

Brett wrote:Hi T-R. Not sure how a 90 litre pack travel would look on you.
Quite funny I would think!

Shame to hear that the Aarn is back for repairs.
It had a bit of a rip in the edge of the top - not something that would affect its performance, but I'm not sure how it happened and don't think it should have happened. It would get worse if it was left so I took it back to Backpacking Light who contacted Aarn who said it wasn't a warranty thing but that they'd fix it anyway.

I'm not sure now about the weekend, I'm getting over a virus and struggled a bit up Snowy South yesterday because it was so cold. I think it would probably be sensible not to go. Besides, I don't really want to carry my gear in a garbage bag, although I suppose that could be considered a very lightweight option :lol:
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ent » Thu 10 Jun, 2010 8:48 am

Hi All

Finalising numbers so if any takers please let me know by tonight. Julafreak, and Exam on a public holiday? Now that is harsh and unusal punishment :(

Cheers Brett
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Tue 15 Jun, 2010 2:26 pm

Hi All

Walk done and completed with East Pelion proving a bit too ice bound at the top for this little vegmite but Pillinger giving corker views on Monday. More detailed trip report and photographs to follow but here a few to get things started.

Cheers Brett
Attachments
East Pelion to Mt Oakleigh.jpg
East Pelion to Mt Oakleigh
Lees paddocks.jpg
Lees Paddocks
Pillinger 3 of the group.jpg
Pilliner 3 of the group
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Phil » Wed 16 Jun, 2010 8:26 am

Can't wait to see some more pics Brett! Just seeing some of the snow capping those beatuiful mountains is making my mouth water........definitely looking at booking a trip in the not so distant future!!

Doesn't Pillinger provide a breath taking view at this time of year! (any time of year for that matter). I've been up there 3 times and haven't grown bored of the view!
Phil
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Nuts » Wed 16 Jun, 2010 9:34 am

yer, looks like a nice walk you had, weather was perfect (for working outdoors also :roll: )
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Sat 19 Jun, 2010 9:31 pm

Hi

Sorry for the slow response. Something to do with a bug in my system (think it was from visiting a friend at the LGH or maybe the number five we met on the track did actually give me the number twos :( ) so I will post a few more when back in Launie. Pillinger is a great mountain, if somewhat neglected in the rush to get to Pelion for views. However, if you met a guy claiming it is fifteen minutes to the top, politely ignore him, or become Aussie's new hope in X sports :lol: Sunday had our King of the mountains cloak in its usual gown of clouds with cover down to 1400 metres but still the views from a lower position of Pelion East were worth the walk. Monday was a magical day. A great way to spend the long weekend.

Cheers Brett
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania