Mother Cummings Head

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mother Cummings Head

Postby JaguarShark77 » Tue 13 Feb, 2024 1:25 pm

Gidday guys, hope you're all enjoying the good weather on the tracks out there.

Heading up Mother Cummings Head tomorrow, and just wanted to get some feedback from those who've done it before. I'm keeping it simple - as befits my experience/capability - so will be starting from Smoko Rd carpark and heading straight up and back down again.

As far as I can see, there are two main tracks from there, one of which heads west and over a bridge across Cummings Rivulet before bearing towards the summit, while the other sticks to the right of the rivulet, meeting up with the other track nearer the scree climb to the summit. Are there notable pros and cons for each route? Or are they much of a muchness in terms of navigability and terrain?

Thanks heaps, all. Crossing my fingers the forecast for fine weather stays that way ...
JaguarShark77
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mother Cummings Head

Postby Last » Tue 13 Feb, 2024 2:17 pm

I have only been up the track to the right of the creek, about a year ago. It was easy enough to navigate. We came back via the track on the east side, marked on some LISTmap maps. Quicker, but a long walk back to the car. The track to the right of the creek was much more scenic.
noen ganger er det godt å være alene i villmarken
Last
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Mother Cummings Head

Postby JaguarShark77 » Wed 14 Feb, 2024 5:11 pm

Thanks Last. Ended up crossing the bridge at the start and the path was easy enough to follow from there. Lovely scenic walk through the forest and great views from higher up and on the plateau. Tough old wander though!
JaguarShark77
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania