Are the days of digging cat holes in wilderness over?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Are the days of digging cat holes in wilderness over?

Postby headwerkn » Wed 31 Jan, 2024 10:52 am

Maybe... and sooner than I'd thought:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-31/ ... /103374466

Quite encouraging to see PWS pushing the use of poo tubs/tubes seriously. Though I suspect that until and unless they start mandating (and policing) their use in certain at-risk areas - and providing WAG bags et. al. either for free or as part of walk booking fees, like they do in parts of Yosemite - their actual use will be limited for quite some time to come.

After all, we live in a world where some people think that dropping a steamer on the ground and, at best, putting a rock on it is somehow appropriate behaviour :roll:
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Are the days of digging cat holes in wilderness over?

Postby bumpingbill » Wed 31 Jan, 2024 11:03 am

I once found a large human *&%$#! on the ground 5 meters away from the campsite at PB low camp. No attempt to even cover it. If you've managed yourself to PB, then you should know better. Disgusting.

Great to see from PWS.
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Wed 31 Jan, 2024 11:31 am

Don't know why she says you can't dig a cat hole with your trekking pole because I know you most certainly can. And in really hard ground, it works better than a UL shovel. You use the tip to loosen the soil and dig it out with your hand.

I think in a lot of places it's fine to dig a hole. In high visitation areas, it makes a lot of sense to cart your poo out. Around the Main Range in Kosi, find a spot out of the wind, behind a rock, and there's a good chance you'll find toilet paper. Areas like that, I'm all for mandating it. Poo Tubes (PVC tubing with caps) have been a thing ski touring since the 80's, maybe before that even. Personally I use a the smallest garbage bags you can buy to do my business, then stick it in another plastic bag and then in a storage ziplock and never had a accident. And no, I don't clean out the bags and reuse them when I get home, but I've heard some people "claim" they do!
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Letstryagain » Wed 31 Jan, 2024 11:40 am

crollsurf wrote:Don't know why she says you can't dig a cat hole with your trekking pole because I know you most certainly can. And in really hard ground, it works better than a UL shovel. !

The article is for Tasmania. I can assure you in most places here you won't be able to dig without a decent trowel

But yes, just because in the last 5years or so we're seeing an inflyx of inexperienced, clueless bushwalkers and Abel baggers I won't be changing from a poop hole to a poop bag anytime soon sorry.
Letstryagain
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bumpingbill » Wed 31 Jan, 2024 12:01 pm

Letstryagain wrote:just because in the last 5years or so we're seeing an inflyx of inexperienced, clueless bushwalkers and Abel baggers I won't be changing from a poop hole to a poop bag anytime soon sorry.

Just because others *&%$#! 1 meter from campsites and leave toilet paper strewn across the track, doesn't mean you would - right?

The test is not what others are doing, but what we can do ourselves (with help and messaging from PWS) to keep wilderness areas clean where we can. Leave no trace, after all.

If the more experienced bushwalkers lead by example and set expectations, others will follow.
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Wed 31 Jan, 2024 12:42 pm

Agree. Though, at the same time get the point, and people who would make sure they actually do dig ''15-20cm'' deep, and in appropriate places, aren't the problem, and can only be smiled at when they volunteer as part of the solution. This is a good news story, P&W could do even more pro-active work. I'm not sure 'mandates' are the best way (maybe not even as a reflective label :) ) but how about, for example, Offering bags/pots to OT walkers (ideally with places to empty them).. along with a promotion as part of the intro meetings. When we offered bags (to guided groups) I found their reception was directly related to an explanation of the process, hard digging, possibly needing to get low (to hit the spot) and linger amongst the leech-strewn foliage you've now disturbed. An army of potential devotees to crap n carry.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ofuros » Fri 02 Feb, 2024 3:57 pm

I think we were talking about this over ten years ago...
Educating the outdoor masses is obviously the key but I can't find any info on poo tubes or poo pots on the Tas PW website (leave no trace page) or their social media (facepage & insta)...there's more info here on this website/forum !

I thought the ABC piece was more about the awareness of the Tas PW Wilderness Ranger program...and they just highlighted the poo pot angle to grab our attention. :lol:

In hot spots, popular, high footfall areas within Np's with no toilet facilities, where the environment is degrading...of course poo pots should be a option.

Sooner or later we're going to have to take responsibility for the poop we do in the wilderness...
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Nuts » Sat 03 Feb, 2024 5:53 am

ofuros wrote:I thought the ABC piece was more about the awareness of the Tas PW Wilderness Ranger program...and they just highlighted the poo pot angle to grab our attention. :lol: ..

You may be right, and simply mentioning the subject may be the extent of (upper management) action for the next decade :)
Though it could also be the beginning of a genuine effort, which would also start by relying on new or bushy-tailed staff.

And typically clumsy. These same staff would quickly identify hot-spots in their areas/on their tracks. The places will be few and easy to identify, action doesn't need a mass movement.. just a bit of tweaking, infrastructure, education etc targeted for these particular spots.

I (and I'd like to think others) even tried to push some minimal action enforced on guided tour companies in alpine country (rather than build yet more toilets), and was met with ignorance.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby taswegian » Sat 03 Feb, 2024 10:05 am

Well it'd be easy to police.
Have rangers check bags on exiting the park :lol:
Look for new Public Service advertisement. :lol:

I agree with the sentiment and need to clean up.
Toilet paper is like paper mache in places and highly visible.
taswegian

Postby Warin » Sat 03 Feb, 2024 10:30 am

Letstryagain wrote:
crollsurf wrote:Don't know why she says you can't dig a cat hole with your trekking pole because I know you most certainly can. And in really hard ground, it works better than a UL shovel. !

The article is for Tasmania. I can assure you in most places here you won't be able to dig without a decent trowel.

There are some places where I'd like an electric drill just to put in tent pegs... never mind a cat hole.

The story did mention 50% of school groups had no shovel. Would be easy to target them at car parks before they started walking .. issue them with a shovel to be returned to the Parks office.. and a letter to the school Principal ...
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Rexyviney36 » Sat 03 Feb, 2024 2:17 pm

I find that hard to believe…
Rexyviney36
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania