Pelion via Lees Paddock Track

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Pelion via Lees Paddock Track

Postby benoloughlin » Tue 19 Dec, 2023 3:10 pm

Hi everyone,
It’s been a few years since I’ve been regularly active on this forum.
Anyway, I’m seeking some advice regarding a possible Lees Paddock walk to Pelion (and maybe Ossa if the weather is ok).
I couldn’t find a trip report and I apologise if it’s there and I simply overlooked it!
For information - last week (or ten days ago) I walked in to Pelion via Arm River with the intention of climbing Ossa but when I got to Pelion Gap I assessed the situation was too risky so turned around, packed up and walked out again.
I’ve not done the Lees Paddock track before so I’m interested to know ease of access to the track head and degree of walking difficulty. Is it recommended to camp overnight at Lees Paddock?, etc.
Thanks!
Ben
benoloughlin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Pelion via Lees Paddock Track

Postby north-north-west » Tue 19 Dec, 2023 5:17 pm

Parking is eastern side of the river, there's a swing bridge if the ford is impassable, and it's a horse/ATV track from there to Lees, so no issues thus far apart from a bit of mud. Early departure and you'll easily get to New Pelion in a day, so camping at Lees isn't necessary but clear it with the leaseholders if you do: their phone number is on signs near the flats and at the hut. Or you can camp near Reedy Lake or Lake Ayr (check for leeches first).
Reedy Lake Track is a bit more of a challenge. It peels off a bit NE of the hut, climbs up through mostly open forest and then winds through sometimes scrubby terrain until hitting the ART next to the logbook at Lake Ayr. Parts tend to be overgrown and poorly marked. It's not really hard but you do need to be paying attention.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby benoloughlin » Wed 20 Dec, 2023 8:10 am

@north-north-west

Thanks heaps!

Ben
benoloughlin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 20 Dec, 2023 8:46 am

It's a little longer than the Arm River Track. As NNW says, it can get hard to follow in a few places. Especially a couple of sections after Lees Paddocks and even more so in bracken and fern season. You need to be good a route finding if you do lose the track. Actually, even before Lees Paddocks there are a couple of branches in the track, and it's easy to take the wrong branch if you're not paying attention. But also easy to back-track and try the other branch. Other than that, the walking is not hard. If it's been wet, there can be a LOT of leeches, but if it's been dry for a while, you won't see them.

Having said that, I prefer the Arm River Track. Shorter and better views.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby benoloughlin » Wed 20 Dec, 2023 8:48 pm

Thanks @SOB
I appreciate it! I made lots of friends with the leaches at New Pelion when I was there recently.
If Arm River is the more scenic of the two tracks then maybe I’ll leave it (Lees Paddocks track) for another time.
I’ll think about an alternative location for a solo walk. I have been thinking about Lake Rhona but the trail head is so far from Launceston but it is in a part of the State I’ve never been in before.
Kind regards,
Ben
benoloughlin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania