SCT Water

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

SCT Water

Postby farkewie » Wed 24 Feb, 2010 9:08 pm

Hi,

I am doing the SCT on starting Monday, due to a bit of a break in the budget and bad bad organisational skills we don't have one of the guide books. Not really too worries we have a map and compass. I'm just looking for advise on campsites that will not have nearby water so i know to fill up my bladder on the way.

Has anyone done it recently? any tips on water sources?
farkewie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: SCT Water

Postby kramster » Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:03 pm

It was three years ago when I walked the track last.
From memory, at that stage water was reasonably plentiful in most overnight spots, except we did run-low between a couple of campsites.
Make sure you fill up:
a) before the Ironbounds
b) before leaving Prion Beach (not much between there and Surprise Bay)
c) before South Coast Range (Granite Beach - South Cape Rivulet)

Have a great walk!
kramster
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby jonholmes » Thu 25 Feb, 2010 7:15 pm

SCT water,

Walked this track about 3 weeks ago - quite dry - but still slippery on descents of both ranges, and still enough mud in places to keep you awake!
Suggest carry enough water from Malaleuca to last to near Cox's Bight
Point Eric campsite needed a 200m walk along the beach to a small trickle of good water.
Louisa creek and River - good water (for a good cup of tea - you only need to add the flavour, the colour is already there!)
Louisa Bay side trip relied on the drips from the bluff (about 1 litre in 2 hours? - mineral flavoured)
We had rain approaching the top of the Ironbounds, but the creek at the high camp was flowing well, not much after that.
Great quality and quantity water at Deadmans Bay
Water at far side of Prion crossing was poor in quality (no rain). None along track before
We camped at Osmiridion Beach - walked back onto the track to get decent water upstream at Tylers creek. Brackish and still at campsite. If you want to camp at Osmiridian, go past the well signed turn off about 200m to Tylers Creek and fill up first - slow flow and very coloured, but OK
Good (permanent?)water at Granite Beach. Great cold shower on the beach.
Brackish water at South Cape Rivulet (salty, but OK for cooking. Carry any water for drinking "straight")
Cockle Creek after that - almost home!
jonholmes
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Postby farkewie » Fri 26 Feb, 2010 7:02 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks heaps for the input. That is exactly what I was looking for. Wee have both got a 3 litre bladder plus a spare 4 ltr one to carry. so i will always have spare.
farkewie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Tasmania