South Coast Track: ABC radio coverage

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

South Coast Track: ABC radio coverage

Postby davidr » Tue 15 Dec, 2009 6:38 am

Hi all,

Im a new user. By way of introduction, I'm a Burnie-based tv/radio journo and a semi-experienced bushwalker. After a 3-4 year hiatus, I'm planning a return to the wild in January with a solo walk on the South Coast Track. I'm thinking about taking a lightweight radio for weather forecasts and general sanity.

Has anyone tried this, and is there reception anywhere? Are some radios better than others?

Dave
davidr
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: South Coast Track: ABC radio coverage

Postby tasadam » Tue 15 Dec, 2009 8:47 am

G'day Dave, welcome to the forum.
Re radio, there have been a couple of topics covering radio reception and weather forecasts, here and here.
There might be something in those topics that could help.
Best forecasts you can get on the South Coast track is with a satellite phone and ring the weather bureau forecasters direct, 62212000. Or better still, have the phone and turn it on ad designated times of the day, with a home based support crew to ring you with detailed forecast info at a designated time. Unfortunately either option with the sat phone means extra weight, and likely significant cost, neither of which would help with the sanity aspect.

After 4 years break, I would strogly recommend at least a few day walks to test the fitness and get the body used to the boots and pack again before doing the SC track, but you probably know all that if you've done walks before?

In light of the discussion about New River Lagoon, I don't want to see every new topic like this one turn into a flood of caution warnings, but a solo SC track attempt after a 4 year break from walking does make me want to ask a few things (not least of which is how experienced is "semi-experienced").

I hope the radio links help you.

Re SC track, which way are you planning on going? How long are you allowing? Feel free to ask questions here if you feel inclined to want to know more, lots of people on this forum with good advice and info. Crossing South Cape Range is a dog of a day. IMO harder than the Ironbounds.
Cheers!
Adam.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby davidr » Tue 15 Dec, 2009 1:05 pm

Thanks Adam,

I certainly take your concerns on board. Four years is a fair while sitting in an air-conditioned office. I plan to spend the next month toughening up on some of my local trails. Depending on how that goes, I might end up taking a friend... but a solo walk is something I've been wanting to do for some time. Whatever happens, I won't be attempting any off-track scrub bashing!

The plan is Melaleuca to Cockle Creek in mid-January. Eight nights in the trusty Olympus, with a rest day in the middle. Planning food for a couple of extra nights, as precaution.
davidr
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Bernie » Thu 17 Dec, 2009 11:21 am

Hi Dave I am doing the South Coast track solo in late Feb. If you go in Jan can you give me some heads up as to track conditions and what to look out for on the way etc, would be much appreciated thanks.
Bernie.
Bernie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 17 Dec, 2009 11:52 am

Hi guys, The south coast track is pretty tame, and a good place to go on solo multi day trips IMO. There are a couple of semi difficult days like Tasadam suggested, Southcape range and Ironbounds, But they arent too difficult really. A very good track exists, if not a bit muddy in places.

I'd imagine you would probably get reception on the Ironbounds, and the closer you get to Cockle the better the reception will probably get. Just a guess though!

Anyway good luck and enjoy the walk!!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania