NW ridge of the acropolis

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

NW ridge of the acropolis

Postby MBC_codger » Tue 19 May, 2020 10:25 am

Hi all, I'm wondering how prudent it is to try to ascend the acropolis via the NW ridge with out ropes (that rises up from the saddle between Mt Geryon and the acropolis)
MBC_codger
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Launceston Church Grammar School
Region: Tasmania

Re: NW ridge of the acropolis

Postby sloz » Thu 21 May, 2020 3:35 pm

Should be doable. How heavy is the pack you plan on taking up with you?
sloz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Mountain Gypsies Association

Postby DaveNoble » Thu 21 May, 2020 6:34 pm

I've wondered the same thing. It does not look too bad when viewed from certain angles from the Labyrinth. But Looking at the online climbing guide, it seems climbers descend by abseiling and scrambling down one of the gullies, so that suggests that it may not go.
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Jon MS » Fri 22 May, 2020 11:34 am

Many years ago (ie 40 years ago...), the first mountains I climbed in the Reserve were on a day trip out of the old Pine Valley hut.

We went up to the Geryon campsite then up South Geryon followed by South Spur then direct up onto the Acropolis (true summit) before going down the track to the hut.

I remember South Geryon as a easy but steep and exposed scramble, South Spur being easy on its northern end, and the Acropolis as a easy scramble. You can get around South Spur on its western side.
Jon MS
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby MBC_codger » Sat 23 May, 2020 5:28 pm

Thanks everyone -- I'm envisaging a day-walk circuit much in the vein as Jon MS (Maybe from Geryon campsite). So in terms of weight a day pack 6-7 kg. The climbing guides (descending to start of climbs) do make it sound daunting but they may take a more direct line to the base of the climbs (rather than adhere to the arete). Worst case scenario is go up to saddle have a look and turn tail. (A practice with precedent)
To give you a ball-park feel for my scrambling: I've summited Federation a number of times and have been up Mt Anne from the Eliza plateau and NE ridge a number of times too, Looking at photos/descriptions the South summit of Geryon would be at my limit (or slightly beyond). I'd be interested in knowing how the NW arete of the acropolis might compare to Fed. or Mt Anne or some other tassie summit (from anyone like Jon Ms who has done it).
Thanks for all the feedback thus far.
MBC_codger
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Launceston Church Grammar School

Return to Tasmania